How do you carry 1911? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

How do you carry 1911?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G
Another vote for condition one, in a holster that covers the trigger. Just don't see any advantage to not having the chamber loaded.
I don't either myself
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 08-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #32

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I carry my 1911 in only two ways OWB and in a vertical shoulder rig. Always cocked and locked.
Fred_G Likes This 
Old 08-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 567 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Cocked and locked. Never had the safety come off but I check it periodically throughout the day and carry it in a good IWB holster (crossbreeds).

However, I was thinking today about the 1911 design and I was trying to imagine some part of the inside that could fail and cause the hammer to drop. Whether the gun would go off or not is irrelevant but just having the hammer drop on its own would be a problem. This is what I thought of.....

if the sear spring (the leaf type spring that puts pressure on the sear, trigger, and grip safety and is held in place by the mainspring housing), if that sear spring were to break and remove pressure from the sear, then theoretically since the hammer is back and under pressure it could fall. Am I correct? Now I know the odds of that happening for anyone who regularly inspects their gun is next to impossible but hey, it is just metal.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 08-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #34

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf
Cocked and locked. Never had the safety come off but I check it periodically throughout the day and carry it in a good IWB holster (crossbreeds).

However, I was thinking today about the 1911 design and I was trying to imagine some part of the inside that could fail and cause the hammer to drop. Whether the gun would go off or not is irrelevant but just having the hammer drop on its own would be a problem. This is what I thought of.....

if the sear spring (the leaf type spring that puts pressure on the sear, trigger, and grip safety and is held in place by the mainspring housing), if that sear spring were to break and remove pressure from the sear, then theoretically since the hammer is back and under pressure it could fall. Am I correct? Now I know the odds of that happening for anyone who regularly inspects their gun is next to impossible but hey, it is just metal.
That's food for thought. I've actually never thought about that. I will say that is very scary to think about. Any man made part can fail at anytime.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:43 AM   #35

Liked 305 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I don't think I would spend a whole lot of time worrying about that. Unless I missed the news about a bunch of 1911's spontaneously firing.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #36

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I don't own a 1911. I do carry a Ruger P95 and a XD with a 5" barrel in a belly band holster. The elastic helps my old back. It's easy to twist the holster around so it won't be tangled in a seat belt. You won't have the gun poking you when you bend/twist the wrong way. The belly band makes carrying a pistol comfortable.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:14 AM   #37

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2094 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 6257

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
I read occasionally that a 1911 user, goes to draw his firearm to put it away, and realizes , while loaded, cocked, it was not locked. Somehow, during a days activities, the safety had gotten moved to the fire position.
So what is the real deal here?

As noted above, for the 1911 to fire, it requires:
  • Safety Off
  • Grip Safety Depressed.
  • Trigger pulled.

I have found my safety disengaged, usually when working in the yard or brush.
With an adequate holster, It is still safe. I am not worried, I just engage it.

I would think that someone drawing the 1911 to secure it for the night would not pull the trigger.

We can debate the grip safety, but I have developed a feel that allows me to unholster without depressing it.

I can't think of any way, unless the gun is malfunctioning, for a 1911 to fire.

When holstering, I lay my thumb on the firing pin stop, essentially under the hammer. My trigger finger clear and extended,. Then I double check my safety and I am off.

Yes... I carry condition one.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #38

Liked 305 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
So what is the real deal here?

As noted above, for the 1911 to fire, it requires:
  • Safety Off
  • Grip Safety Depressed.
  • Trigger pulled.

I have found my safety disengaged, usually when working in the yard or brush.
With an adequate holster, It is still safe. I am not worried, I just engage it.

I would think that someone drawing the 1911 to secure it for the night would not pull the trigger.

We can debate the grip safety, but I have developed a feel that allows me to unholster without depressing it.

I can't think of any way, unless the gun is malfunctioning, for a 1911 to fire.

When holstering, I lay my thumb on the firing pin stop, essentially under the hammer. My trigger finger clear and extended,. Then I double check my safety and I am off.

Yes... I carry condition one.

I don't post this to argue, just a question. Having 2 ways to upholster the gun is counterintuitive to my KISS thinking on the gun. When I draw my 1911, grip safety is engaged, trigger finger is way away from the trigger, safety is on or off, depending on what part of the draw I am at.

Again, no argument meant, but I would not practice 2 types of draw. And, just to note, the last S in KISS applies to me.

But, I am always interested in alternative thoughts.

Last edited by Fred_G; 08-19-2013 at 04:42 AM.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #39
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
I don't post this to argue, just a question. Having 2 ways to upholster the gun is counterintuitive to my KISS thinking on the gun. When I draw my 1911, grip safety is engaged, trigger finger is way away from the trigger, safety is on or off, depending on what part of the draw I am at.

Again, no argument meant, but I would not practice 2 types of draw. And, just to note, the last S in KISS applies to me.

But, I am always interested in alternative thoughts.
Having two ways to unholster a gun is not counterintuitive to KISS, because you don't have to use both methods. Just pick one that suits you. If you just want to unholster the gun the normal way, you can. If you want to be a little safer and do it without depressing the grip safety, you could do that too.

The way I see it, a 1911 is one of the safest guns you can carry. As said before, for the gun to go off, you have to turn of the thumb safety, depress the grip safety, and pull the trigger. Unless the gun is malfunctioning, it will not go off any other way.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 08-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 567 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13

That's food for thought. I've actually never thought about that. I will say that is very scary to think about. Any man made part can fail at anytime.
Well if you think about it this could apply to any SA gun that has the hammer or striker held back, not just a 1911. That's because with the hammer or striker cocked there is already sufficient potential energy in the device that should it ever fail then 'theoretically' it could go off.

Now I still don't worry about it because I probably have better chances of winning the lottery. Plus most modern guns including 1911's have some form of a firing pin safety preventing the pin from moving if accidentally struck. But let's just say that if I am ever carrying and I find my hammer down (with no bang) then I sure as heck ain't gonna be cocking it again until a gunsmith can take a look at it.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"