How do you carry 1911? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > How do you carry 1911?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
hmh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

For a 1911 to go off you have to have the safety off beaver tail safety depressed and the trigger pulled. Isn't going to accidentally happen.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #12

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

I do inner waist band in the colder months, I don't carry my 1911 much when it's warm out and clothing is a bit thinner.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 08-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Cocked and locked.
Shoulder, IWB, OWB, and SOB. It depends on what I have planned and how I dress.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #14

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
I'll chime in, because I am interested in gun safety, and bewildered by 1911s in the cocked and locked position.

I read occasionally that a 1911 user, goes to draw his firearm to put it away, and realizes , while loaded, cocked, it was not locked. Somehow, during a days activities, the safety had gotten moved to the fire position.

I owned and carried a 1911 clone, a Star PD some years ago. I would never carry my PD cocked and locked. Did not feel absolutely secure.

I know millions of accumulated hours go by without 1911s constantly going off via negligent discharge, but the tiny amount of inadvertent force to remove the safety from the safe position troubles me enough, I could not carry one, or recommend others do so cocked and locked.
Happened years ago so I don't recall the holster, but I had an SA 1911 TRP (this model features a slightly oversized strong side safety + ambidextrous safety) that I carried for about a week, cocked and locked. One day I noticed the safety was off and wasn't too cool with it (it must have happened some time during the course of the day, getting in and out of my vehicle, etc.). So, my preference for 1911s has moved to strong side, stock (Colt) sized safety only.

Of note, I don't carry cocked and locked anymore but don't fault those who do. I think the original safety is much more forgiving for daily carry than what I had. These days, mostly, I use a Galco summer comfort IWB for my G19 but plan on getting a N82 soon after I get back to the US.

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Last edited by jp_over; 08-17-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #15

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
I do inner waist band in the colder months, I don't carry my 1911 much when it's warm out and clothing is a bit thinner.
I was about the same way until...

One day as I was carrying around the house, I needed to go to walmart. I got in the jeep knowing that my jacket was in the back seat, and I would put it on when I got to the store. Turns out, my wife had pulled my jacket out for me. I desided it was time to try just under a shirt. After that, I will carry under about anything.

And its about 3 o'clock, cocked and locked, iwb. I use an Uncle Mikes, and keep thinking I should get something that cost more, but that is a confortable holster.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 411 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
For a 1911 to go off you have to have the safety off beaver tail safety depressed and the trigger pulled. Isn't going to accidentally happen.
If you load any firearm and don't touch then it won't go off. The problem is that when dealing with human beings they do stupid things. They will accidently put of the safety they will hold the beaver tail and they will shoot themselves and others.

Quote:
WARREN (WXYZ) - A 62-year-old building inspector for the city of Warren is recovering after he accidentally shot himself inside City Hall.

It happened Friday morning in a public bathroom stall as the inspector, who licensed to carry a concealed firearm, was returning his 45 caliber semi-automatic to its holster.
Quote:

A firearms safety course went awry in Bedford County on Saturday afternoon when a participant shot himself in the hand with a .45-caliber handgun and the bullet passed through his hand and struck his wife, seated next to him, in the leg.
Its simple if there is no round in the chamber a firearm can not shoot accidently or any other way. So people can make up their own way on how to carry their firearm. A round in the chamber that will make them a second or two quicker to use the firearm than someone that carries loaded but no round in the chamber. But they are less likely to shoot themselves or someone else.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I carry strong side cocked and locked. The holster is a Galco with thumb break, and it's worn at about 4 or 5 o'clock with the strap under the hammer. My second choice for a holster is a King Tuk IWB. Same position, same condition.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #18

Liked 1449 Times on 880 Posts
Likes Given: 337

Chambered, cocked and locked, in a Winthrop IWB leather holster, strong side at 3:30.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_over View Post
Happened years ago so I don't recall the holster, but I had an SA 1911 TRP (this model features a slightly oversized strong side safety + ambidextrous safety) that I carried for about a week, cocked and locked. One day I noticed the safety was off and wasn't too cool with it (it must have happened some time during the course of the day, getting in and out of my vehicle, etc.). So, my preference for 1911s has moved to strong side, stock (Colt) sized safety only.
That is one reason why I don't like ambidextrous safeties on a carry handgun. I know there is a good reason for them, but I just don't feel comfortable with them.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #20

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

I appreciate all of the input here. I do not mind carrying cocked and locked as I have had a fair amount of training. I'm no expert by any means I just cannot get comfortable with anything other than 3 o clock or the crotch carry. What 1911 has the smallest safety? My citadel is pretty small, I prefer one like this or rock island. Owned a ruger once and had same situation as mentioned above about safety going off. That steered me away from that one. I also have a galco but I'm thinking about maybe getting a custom holster.