Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   How do you carry 1911? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/how-do-you-carry-1911-a-95591/)

cblowe13 08-17-2013 04:11 AM

How do you carry 1911?

Okay I know we have a few threads going about bullet in the chamber. My question is how do you carry your 1911. I am not against .45 but I personally carry my citadel 1911 9mm cocked and locked, i will be honest though It does scare my a little having a gun like that hanging near the jewels. So how do you guys carry it? The same condition or what?

Fathead00 08-17-2013 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblowe13
Okay I know we have a few threads going about bullet in the chamber. My question is how do you carry your 1911. I am not against .45 but I personally carry my citadel 1911 9mm cocked and locked, i will be honest though It does scare my a little having a gun like that hanging near the jewels. So how do you guys carry it? The same condition or what?

Why do you have your firearm pointed at your junk????

cblowe13 08-17-2013 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathead00

Why do you have your firearm pointed at your junk????

It's the only place it feels comfortable to me I tried 3 o clock but I haven't found a good paddle.

JonM 08-17-2013 05:23 AM

I carry in a holster. Finger outside trigger guard until its pointed at a valid target.

cblowe13 08-17-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
I carry in a holster. Finger outside trigger guard until its pointed at a valid target.

May I ask what holster? And do you leave one chambered safety on

JonM 08-17-2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblowe13 (Post 1337910)
May I ask what holster? And do you leave one chambered safety on

I carry owb using a springfield armory gear holster they make em for 1911 and xdm. The xdm model fits my xdm's, berreta m9a1's, sig p220 and most poly type guns. I carry my ruger lcp in a generic pocket holster.

All my carry guns have a round chambered mag topped off. Carrying an unloaded gun is like a eunoch tryng to father a child.... pretty damn useless for the job. 1911 hammer back safety on, m9 safety off hammer down

kdog 08-17-2013 06:27 AM

In my humble opinion, due to the fact, that a 1911 is a SA Only pistol, it only makes sense to carry it cocked and locked.

Now regarding the type of holster. If I understand correctly, you carfry your 1911 in a holster in the front pointing at your jewels. ok, that would sounds a bit uncomfortable (in terms of the fact the muzzle is pointing at the crotch).

I guess 3 o`clock means right side. Have you tried a holster in a 5 o`clock position or further back?
I don`t know, if they are still sold, but years ago you could get a holster, that was positioned horizontal in your back (kind of like in Hitman 47 (game and movie)). They are called backdraw holsters.

Just as an idea.

AR10 08-17-2013 06:42 AM

I'll chime in, because I am interested in gun safety, and bewildered by 1911s in the cocked and locked position.

I read occasionally that a 1911 user, goes to draw his firearm to put it away, and realizes , while loaded, cocked, it was not locked. Somehow, during a days activities, the safety had gotten moved to the fire position.

I owned and carried a 1911 clone, a Star PD some years ago. I would never carry my PD cocked and locked. Did not feel absolutely secure.

I know millions of accumulated hours go by without 1911s constantly going off via negligent discharge, but the tiny amount of inadvertent force to remove the safety from the safe position troubles me enough, I could not carry one, or recommend others do so cocked and locked.

hmh 08-17-2013 06:43 AM

Round in the chamber safety on hammer cocked (it is unsafe to have the hammer lowered). Jit slide 4 o'clock position

therewolf 08-17-2013 06:44 AM

Condition 1-in my front pocket.

There are also holsters. I like the standard side holster, and also a

cross-draw. The side unit hangs too low for CC, though.