Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > How to Clean my Gun ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 01:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How to Clean my Gun ???

Hey,

I was just wondering what is the best stuff to use in order to clean my Glock 30 inside and out. I've only shot it a total of 3 different times and each time i clean the gun after shooting. I've been using Outers "Nitro Solvent Gun Cleaner" for the inside metal parts. Spraying alittle bit on each metal part then wiping it off with cleaning pads and sometimes scrubbing it with a small toothbrush. After that wipe the inside down with a microfiber towel. Then put some Remington "Rem Oil" on the inside metal parts. Put the gun back together and wipe the outside down with a micofiber towel. This is normally what i do. Is this a good method of cleaning my gun? Are there better ways or things to use in order to clean it? What if anything can i use on the outside of the gun besides just wiping it down the a microfiber towel?

Thanks......

__________,
L///--------l - - - - - - - -
/=./L'J|
_./ Glock 30

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

What you're doing should suffice, but there is a product out there called "Poly Dunkit" that you can use to soak the pistol in.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
What you're doing should suffice, but there is a product out there called "Poly Dunkit" that you can use to soak the pistol in.
Thanks.......Do you have any experience with using it?

__________,
L///--------l - - - - - - - -
/=./L'J|
_./ Glock 30

Old 09-13-2007, 01:54 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Nope. I was taught that guns should be cleaned by hand, so that's the way I've always done it.

Here's a link to the stuff though: https://shop.cylinder-slide.com/ccp51/cgi-bin/cp-app.pl?usr=51F9433593&rnd=6726379&rrc=N&affl=&cip= 208.106.75.181&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=405&cat=4&cat str=HOME:4

Old 09-19-2007, 04:09 PM   #5

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I am a pretty much newbie at cleaning guns and bought my second gun which is an XD40. Is it necessary to use the wire brush the first couple of times or is that for when there is more build up. My terminology may not be perfect yet but i'm still reading the threads here.

TIA
JR

Old 09-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #6

http://youtu.be/FdtxGpi2jeQ

Old 09-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
fmj

Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse View Post
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I am a pretty much newbie at cleaning guns and bought my second gun which is an XD40. Is it necessary to use the wire brush the first couple of times or is that for when there is more build up. My terminology may not be perfect yet but i'm still reading the threads here.

TIA
JR
DO NOT use a wire brush!!! If i am a slacker and allow things to get really gummed/boogered up, i will use a brass brush on occasion. Wire brushes will cause damage!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpabsolute View Post
Hey,

I was just wondering what is the best stuff to use in order to clean my Glock 30 inside and out. I've only shot it a total of 3 different times and each time i clean the gun after shooting. I've been using Outers "Nitro Solvent Gun Cleaner" for the inside metal parts. Spraying alittle bit on each metal part then wiping it off with cleaning pads and sometimes scrubbing it with a small toothbrush. After that wipe the inside down with a microfiber towel. Then put some Remington "Rem Oil" on the inside metal parts. Put the gun back together and wipe the outside down with a micofiber towel. This is normally what i do. Is this a good method of cleaning my gun? Are there better ways or things to use in order to clean it? What if anything can i use on the outside of the gun besides just wiping it down the a microfiber towel?

Thanks......

It appears to me you got it down pat to a science.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #9

You didnt mention it so i will ask, have you been using the bore brush that comes with the glock to clean the inside of the barrel? If so sounds like u are doing a fine job if not that is the only extra step i would suggest

Old 09-22-2011, 02:59 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

This is the most detailed video on cleaning a Glock Pistol, make sure to pay attention to all the details shown in the video.

Best Glock cleaning Vid EVER!! - Gun & Game - The Friendliest Gun Forum on the Internet

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper