Be honest, how much of your semi purchase is based off looks? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Be honest, how much of your semi purchase is based off looks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts

Absolutely a 1. I own Glocks Aks Mosins and mossbergs and i love how they all look. Enough said!

Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #12

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

For me the less rounded the edges are i'll probably hate it. I also don't like black or shiny stainless. Im going to say 6.5.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:43 AM   #13

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

For a cc/hd gun, function is all that matters. For everything else, i like a good looking weapon. Other than my m&p, snubby, and ar, all of my guns are blued steel with wood furniture. All of them are kept in the best condition possible. So i guess i am anywhere between a 6 and a 10 depending on the purpose of the gun.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #14
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1570 Times on 961 Posts
Likes Given: 8004

I would have to rank my tastes as a 2 on the scale. I am a cheap SOB when it comes to my guns. I look for used or scratch and dent Items no matter what I am buying. My 1911 needed a complete rebuild when dad bought it (He picked it up for me while I was waiting on my permit, and it was added to mine at the time the permit was issued). My Desert eagle .357 Still has holster wear on it from the previous owner, my GP100 has mild wear on it from when dad had it (bought new in 1986, given to me in 1997 as a wedding present). The only handgun I have that "pretty" was a purchase factor is my Ruger Vaquero, I fell in love with it at first sight, went and shot a friend's at the local range, and I still looked for one used before finding one with a small scratch on the right grip at my LGS. The owner was going to send the grips back to Ruger, and get a new set for it. I talked him down by $60, and we made a deal. The only other hand gun that I did not buy due to looks or functionality is my mom's old Jennings J22. The only reason I have it, and take it out and shoot it is, who it belonged to. I lost my mother in 2003, and it is a way of keeping her memory alive. It is an ugly piece of cr@p, unreliable as he!!, but it brings back some good memories of a great woman. Even if nobody else agrees, I call it a good enough reason to keep it.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

orangello Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 05:50 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'd say I'm around a 7. I wouldn't buy anything scratched/ dented up, or not well taken care of. But I also want something that is dependable.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #16

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

A 5 across the board. I want a good looking gun but I also want it to be dependable and accurate.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #17

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

My first guns were "pretty" cowboy type. I loved the look. But they were also good guns. Marlin 39 100th anniversary 22, Ruger Single Six convertible 22/22 Mag, Marlin 336 C 30-30. All great guns - but with a "look".
Many years go by ... I re-enter the world of guns. With a friend, go through CC class - certificate. Then first gun I buy is a heavily used S&W Model 14 38 Special police gun. Lots of holster wear, had even been used as a range rental gun for a while. Didn't matter to me. It was my first real home protection gun and I wanted a substantial and simple revolver. It was perfect. It is a very easy gun to shoot - and has a cop's perfected trigger action.
Next gun was for concealed carry - S&W 438 Airweight 38 Special snubnose revolver. You can't say that one is pretty. But it has gone with me many places - which is what it was for.
Next ... Ruger LCP 380. Not pretty either. But it has been a nearly constant companion - back pocket holster - goes everywhere...

Then a Ruger LC9. Reason - entry into the 9 mm world - a little more power.

Then ... Ruger Mark III 22. I had such a good time with Mark III's as rentals that I had to have one to practice with. It's an excellent gun. but is it pretty? -- not really...

Then a near duplication of the the S&W Airweight --- a Ruger LCR 38 Special snubnose revolver. Why? It shoots lighter that the Smith due to a kinder grip and it carries slightly lighter. Otherwise, I have no really good reason for that buy. I just did...

So... My early guns were for nostalgia - looks. These later ones - more for function. So my early years - rank = 9.
Later years - rank = 3

Just to add...
I feel another purchase coming on - likely a larger caliber revolver - a 357, maybe, or even something as outrageous as a 44 Mag.
I just like revolvers...

Last edited by Colby; 11-30-2012 at 06:37 AM.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
The only other hand gun that I did not buy due to looks or functionality is my mom's old Jennings J22. The only reason I have it, and take it out and shoot it is, who it belonged to. I lost my mother in 2003, and it is a way of keeping her memory alive. It is an ugly piece of cr@p, unreliable as he!!, but it brings back some good memories of a great woman. Even if nobody else agrees, I call it a good enough reason to keep it.
The snubbie .38 my grandmother gave me as a teen is still at my parents' house. I hate shooting that thing with its tiny grips and loud bark, but it makes me think of Granny's mac & cheese and basketball-shaped chihuahua. It is an old Titan POC. It was my first centerfire pistol and she swapped it to me for an airhorn because she didn't like it much either (and she had the killer chihuahua).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #19

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Great feedback guys....I guess I should have rephrased some of my original post.

Of course NOBODY (I hope) would buy a gun that didnt perform well and was prone to failure. I guess my goal was to see who could deal with other issues of a gun such as heavy weight/low capacity/extra features/etc and be able to block out the cons of that gun based on looks alone.

For example, if you had your sights set on a GORGEOUS custom Wilson Combat 1911 yet they fudged with the design so much that it was super heavy, held a smaller capacity like 5+1, was super picky with ammo would you still buy it based on its stellar looks & design?

Thats sort of what I was getting at with this thread. But yeah to keep it simple....how many of those out there would spring for the extra few hundred on a gun that looked WAY better than a competitor that was cheaper, less picky with ammo feeding, yet didnt have a great finish & bells & whistles? Would you be able to go with the lower end looks if it performed slightly better? Again I fully admit although I would never buy a junk gun that looked great....I still tend to buy guns based on looks & appearance just as much as capacity & practicality.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #20
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1733 Times on 960 Posts
Likes Given: 5280

If you want a ray gun, you have to get one that looks like a ray gun.

buck_rogers_ray_gun.jpg  

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL