Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Holsters, holsters, holsters?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Holsters, holsters, holsters?

I currently own a Glock 19 and am getting ready to purchase a SA XD-9 subcompact. I am also getting ready to apply for my CCW (already taken class). My question is about holsters. I think I'll need to carry IWB in order to conceal most of the time, but an OWB holster might be more comfortable, especially in winter with heavy clothing. Ideally , I'd like to have one IWB holster that could accommodate both the Glock and the XD, but realize that in order for them to fit well, will probably have to buy two, which is fine.

My other question is leather or polymer? Leather looks to be much more supple, but does polymer fit better or hold up better?

Finally, can you recommend some good holsters that work for you in either leather or polymer, especially for IWB?

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

High Noon Holsters

Their stuff rivals high end manufacturers' goods, without the ungodly price.

I prefer a leather, open top, strong side FBI cant holster for damn near everything. IWB only comes into play if I'm in shorts and a t-shirt, even then, I'm probably on the lake fishing and Cali's laws allow me to carry open then, so the standard holster would be on my hip.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:53 AM   #3
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 on high noon for belt holsters

IWB I like Don Hume leather, I have a desaints nylon/polly holster but it doesn't hold shape well for reholstering the pistol.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ck, 4/2/09

I have the proverbial box/drawer of holsters that many others have, from a number of manufacturers and for IWB/OWB, to fit a number of pistols. I prefer IWB for concealment, OWB for range competition. I have leather and Kydex (plastic) and favor the leather over the Kydex.

I also have a number of Highnoon holsters and second the above posters' recommendations. My Highnoon holsters get used more than my other models. You will hear people mention the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 as the best holster around but for me it is too bulky (also a >6month wait time). Fist (FIST, Inc.) makes some good inexpensive holsters with a short wait time. Don Hume also is quite good. I have one by Galco which is also very nice. My kydex holsters were made by BladeTech. I probably have some other brands in the box but can't remember them right now.

Take a look at the websites of a number of holster makers and see what looks best. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Old 04-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #5

I have a Glock 32 as my primary carry and use a Don Hume PCCH holster(IBW).
It is very comfortable and not bad on price, around $50.

glock-holster-1.jpg   glock-holster-2.jpg   glock-holster-3.jpg