Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Hk vp70

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hk vp70

Has anyone ever shot one of these? I saw one used at a shop in south bend Indiana the other day. It was the civilian model. The saleswoman gave me a little history lesson on it, saying it was the first polymer framed pistol and that the military version has 3 shot burst mode and a stock that doubles as a holster. The thing looks uncomfortable as hell to shoot though. What do you think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2010, 05:09 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

They were fairly common back in the '80's, and I shot several. The trigger pull was long, gritty and very heavy.

They are a cool piece of history, but I would only have one as a "usable curiosity". Not for anything serious.

They were durable and reliable, however.

What does she want for it?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

At least one of our regulars owns one, though I can't remember who. I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

If the price was right, I'd own one just for the history.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 07-22-2010, 04:14 AM   #4

I had one, about 1980 or so. It had a very odd trigger, to say the least. It shot ok though. I sold it and took the money and bought a Colt Combat Commander. I should have kept the Vp70, as the Colt was a huge dog. Not one straight piece on it, and it jammed constantly.

I think this would be a good collectible just for being the first polymer gun.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post

What does she want for it?
$675 if i remember correctly. I wish I had that amount of money to spare.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:44 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I shot a VP-70 in the 70's. It had the heaviest trigger of any pistol I have ever fired. The guy who had it ordered it and we all used it one time. I'd estimate a 15-17 pound trigger pull. It got swapped off pronto.

Interestingly enough, the VP-70 was the grand daddy runner of the Glock in trigger function using striker and no manual safeties and in the use of a Polymer frame. It was way ahead of it's time.

Flash