Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > HK USP Compact? Good Price?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default HK USP Compact? Good Price?

would anyone recommend this as a first handgun? I am planning on purchasing my first handgun, have been thinking glock but ever since handling the H&K I've been wondering if its worth the extra money since I loved how it felt in my hand. It just felt "better quality" than the glock. It was solid. I am thinking a 9mm but am open for suggestions. I can get it in my area (CT) for about $869.00 Is that a good price for one?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2010, 01:27 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I had to have an H&K USP Tactical after I shot one on a rangr trip and ripped out the 10 ring with it.

I bought one for $1000 a few years ago. Just sold it last year for $850. It held it's value nicely.

I had the weapon for about 5 years. It never had a problem. Ate everything I fed it, put the rounds where I wanted them to go and it was definitely a sold piece of gear.

On the down side, it was VERY heavy, I would not want to conceal carry it. The handle was very large, even with my big hands, I could not dump the magazine via the release with my thumb in a normal fashion. I had to either take the weapon off target to release it with my thumb, or use my off hand ( both of which worked, but were not ideal ).

The weapon is well made, it is much better quality than a lot of plastic and tupperware models out there.

H&K is not known for great customer service. They can be painful to deal with, but they are not the worst company out there.

For a factory weapon, every H&K I have handled comes rated to handle +P ammo, which for a self defense pistol is very important to me personally.

If you like the weapon, you will probably practice with it and become more familiar with it, so on that side of the scale, I think the H&K would be a good choice.

On the other side, for a first weapon, you can probably get a cheaper model ( like a Block or an XD ) get more ammo and practice more, which will make you a much more proficient gunner.

At the end of the day, it's your money bro....*shrug*

JD

Old 05-04-2010, 02:16 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default thanks...

I am looking at the compact model, so I'm assuming it would be easier to CC with. It seems to me that 869 is a good price, however online there are places offering for less:

HK USP Compact 9mm, 3x13rd Mags, LE

I don't even know how I would get a gun online anyways...

Old 05-04-2010, 03:03 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ej, 5/4/10

I have a HK-USP-compact .45 and a number of other compact pistols (Sigs, Glocks, CZ, Beretta, Springfield Armory, SW 3rd generations). The good news about the HK-USP compact series is that they are reliable, accurate and easy to carry. The bad news- they are overpriced, mags are expensive (usually $50 or more) and the double action trigger pull is the worst of all my pistols- it is long, heavy and stacks severely before breaking. Aftermarket parts are often difficult to obtain (I needed a right sided safety-decocker lever and after calling or emailing dealers all over the states I was informed that it was unavailable but could be ordered from Germany with a six month wait-time).

In summary- while they are good pistols I think you can get an equivalent pistol for hundreds of dollars cheaper with better customer service and available parts. Good luck.

PS- as for the price-there is a NIB HK-USP compact on Gunbroker with a starting price of $760 that has no bidders so the price you are offered seems a bit high.

best wishes- oldandslow

Last edited by oldandslow; 05-04-2010 at 03:05 AM. Reason: addition

Old 05-04-2010, 03:42 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I heard the same thing before. Some say they are worth the money and are extremely accurate, others say to just get a Glock or XD. IDK what to do... I've shot the glocks and liked 'em, but only have held and dry fired the HK...

Old 05-04-2010, 04:18 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ej, 5/4/10

There is no reason to rush into your purchase. Try to hold and fire as many pistols as you can. If you are especially interested in the lighter, polymer pistols then try the SW M&P series and the Springfield XD series. And don't forget the Glocks- they are fine pistols.

As to ordering a gun online- it is quite easy and painless. The best summary is over at Guns for Sale. Click on the customer help icon and this will get you into the "how do I buy a gun online" section. In summary, you pay for your purchase and have it sent to a FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer near you. The FFL will register it to you and charge a small transfer fee. The Buds website also has a list of FFL's so you can find one near you. It will save you hundreds of dollars.

For what it's worth- I like a .45 or 9mm with an alloy-aluminum frame for carry (Sig P-245 or SW-6906), but I am a dinosaur. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Old 05-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
I am thinking a 9mm but am open for suggestions.
I look at the 9mm and think of why the US went to it. With some ammo, it should be okay.

Depending on what you plan to use the handgun for, 9mm could be okay. My personal belief on self protection is "Would I use this same firearm and ammo to stop an angry 150lb pig in the field?" If not, then why should I expect it to work against an armed 200lb person? What does the local LE use for caliber?

Semi auto handguns require more learning than a revolver. Unless you are well versed on safety, shooting disciplines, and diligent maintenance, I would recommend a revolver as the first handgun, then a semi-auto.

Good shooting!

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 05-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have both a 9mm and 45acp in USP Compact--they are my favorite pistols and personally I shoot them more accurately than anything else I have. Never have had any type of malfunction/mis-feed/etc. from either--I highly recommend them--I have the version 1 with the combo safety/decocker and believe it is the best setup for any pistol I've ever had.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 05-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #9

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
would anyone recommend this as a first handgun? I am planning on purchasing my first handgun, have been thinking glock but ever since handling the H&K I've been wondering if its worth the extra money since I loved how it felt in my hand. It just felt "better quality" than the glock. It was solid. I am thinking a 9mm but am open for suggestions. I can get it in my area (CT) for about $869.00 Is that a good price for one?
It's a good price for a USP Compact. That's my brother's work gun and he has one with over 15,000 rounds that has been through hell and back a few times and he's been issued replacement guns but he won't get rid of the original one that has been with him for a while. One of the few handguns in the world that I would take out of a box, load and carry right into a fight knowing that it will work 100% of the time.

I chose the P2000 for myself because it is almost the same design as the USP but with the interchangeable backstraps I can make it fit my hands better but if the standard USP fits you it is a world class gun and worth every penny they want for them. HK is First Class!

Old 05-06-2010, 03:49 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 9, .40, or .45?

So, does anyone recommend the HK USP Compact in any of these calibers? Anyone NOT recommend it in a certain caliber?