High standard victor cleaning

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > High standard victor cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default High standard victor cleaning

HIGH STANDARD VICTOR CLEANING
I have a "The Victor" High Standard from the early years 1975. Well it seems to not want to allow the LR shell to go in all the way in the barrel, so I have to push the back in so it goes in all the way and seats, fire the gun, than it doesn't reject the shell. I field stripped the gun and oiled spots and put it together. It seems to work better but still not perfect. Any suggestions on oiling or taking apart. Suggestions welcome. Can't seem to find a gun smith locally. Thanks Ron

20140407_188.jpg   20140407_189.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 227

High Standard Victor is a tack driver, but fussy. Go on their web page, that should tell you the clearance for the magazine jaws at the top of the mag. It is a critical dimension which affects feeding.
Use a good gun grease on the parts that slide (Shooters Choice all weather High-Tech Grease) is what I use. Use an artists small paint brush to paint the slide rails etc. Also put some on the ball and plunger used for takedown.
Use standard ammo. Find something it likes. I would stay away from Mini-Mag types.
I understand that a couple of the old gunsmiths are there, if you need to call.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 04-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the info. Would magazines change with time? I tried 3 different mags that I use on my other high standards and still a problem, but the mag was something I was thinking about along with the slide spring. I think its better after the oiling but maybe more cleaning is needed. Also ejecting of the shell is also a problem. I am using dummy loads to test. Maybe now they are the problem. Maybe it should now be shot again with live ammo. Thanks Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
High Standard Victor is a tack driver, but fussy. Go on their web page, that should tell you the clearance for the magazine jaws at the top of the mag. It is a critical dimension which affects feeding.
Use a good gun grease on the parts that slide (Shooters Choice all weather High-Tech Grease) is what I use. Use an artists small paint brush to paint the slide rails etc. Also put some on the ball and plunger used for takedown.
Use standard ammo. Find something it likes. I would stay away from Mini-Mag types.
I understand that a couple of the old gunsmiths are there, if you need to call.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9132 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Check the extractor for dirt UNDER the extractor, lube, and that it is free to move. When you said the gun does not go into battery without pushing on the slide, that is frequently a sign that the extractor is gummed up some way.

DO check the mag as he said up there- yes, mag lips can bend out of the ideal position. Also check to be sure chamber mouth has not been peened into a burr from being struck by firing pin (dry fire).

IF there is a burr there, DO NOT REMOVE IT. There is a technique for putting metal back where it belongs. One sign of a burr will be a bright streak down the length of a FIRED cartridge case.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 227

The pistols are old, ejectors wear, but can be replaced. are the mags original? they are hard to find. I only have one. Say, you send me one, then we'll both have two.
do you have the owners manual?
go to www.highstandard.com look under services

OK C3 is hear. He knows his stuff.
Kinda looks like Strother Martin, don't ya think?

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Last edited by 25-5; 04-07-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks all for the info. Thanks also for wanting to share parts. I will check out all these great thoughts and get back with some pics. Thanks All Ron

Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #7

Liked 2288 Times on 1343 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Also make sure you take a brush to the chamber every now and again. Wax coating on bullets, and lead can build up at the "leade" or throat of the chamber and keep shells from fully seating. My Ruger MkII Match Target will get to teh point that it requires assistance to get teh bolt to close fully. This is usually an indicator that it is time for me to brush out the bore with some good solvent and bronze brush. Dry it well, and things should slick up nicely.

Edited to add: I love those old Victors. Shot them every year for regional Navy rimfire matches, then they stopped doing the rimfire matches on teh side of teh Service Pistol and Service Rifle matches, and the Victors disappeared. I miss them.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

How would I know if the opening is coated or should I go back and forth with a brush and cleaner in that spot? Thanks Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Also make sure you take a brush to the chamber every now and again. Wax coating on bullets, and lead can build up at the "leade" or throat of the chamber and keep shells from fully seating. My Ruger MkII Match Target will get to teh point that it requires assistance to get teh bolt to close fully. This is usually an indicator that it is time for me to brush out the bore with some good solvent and bronze brush. Dry it well, and things should slick up nicely.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 951 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 105

The Hi standard victor is best 22LR competition gun I ever shot. I had one in the service while on the shooting team.
The are worth some good money. It deserves to be taken to a Gunsmith and have it checked out.

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

After cleaning, gun smith is next. Thanks Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
The Hi standard victor is best 22LR competition gun I ever shot. I had one in the service while on the shooting team.
The are worth some good money. It deserves to be taken to a Gunsmith and have it checked out.