Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Hi-Standard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hi-Standard

I was thinking of getting rid of an older Hi-Standard pistol. What does everyone think about a Hi-Standard Olympic produced, as far as i can tell, somewhere in the late '40's or early '50's. It is chambered in .22 short. has a 4" and 6" barrels. I would say the condition is about 90%. What would you guys think it might be worth. It's a nice pistol but i was thinking of getting rid of it to finance other firearms if it would be worth it. Any thoughts or ideas would be wonderful. Thanks in advanced for any advice you guys might have.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2600 Times on 1367 Posts
Likes Given: 202

The High Standards are well thought of pistols. There is some degree of collectability with them. You should check Gunbroker and GunsAmerica to see what they are selling for.

GunsAmerica - CUSTOM HS Model G-O Olympic 22 Short - High Standard Pistols - Guns For Sale & Gun Auctions B"H

HIGH STANDARD OLYMPIC 103 ISU : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #3

I had an old high standard sports king that was similar. I believe it had the same interchangable parts as the Olympic. Had a bugger of a time finding replacement parts. Mine was valued anywhere from 400 to 600 dollars in good to excellent condition. I would assume yours would be valued close to this maybe a little higher for the extra barrel. Hope this helps.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #4

Thanks Robocop, I guess i will have to see what i can get around here. I received the firearm from a deceased family member (read for nothing). I know that means that anything i can get for it would be a profit but is it worth selling it or should I keep it? Since it had been sitting around for a long time when i received it (closest guess is 30-35 years) the magazine needed to be worked a little bit, but now it seems to be fine. I know it's good for plinking but on the other hand I could buy a .22LR pistol for lest and still have money left over. I mostly ask the question on here in order to hear the advice from some people that are wiser and more experienced than myself. Thanks again.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #5

Gadrooning, that is what I'm not sure about. I had tried looking at what that model firearm goes for and have seen everything from 600 to 1800 on various auction sites.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I'd have trouble selling that gun. I've liked every High Standard I've ever shot/owned. I still have an older pump action shotgun of theirs. It was my first shotgun and remains to be my favorite. Very smooth action, great finish and furniture.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamour547 View Post
Gadrooning, that is what I'm not sure about. I had tried looking at what that model firearm goes for and have seen everything from 600 to 1800 on various auction sites.
Although high standards are great guns and some collectable, I think in general a lot of people are reluctant to buy them because they have not fallen into that category of a true collectors item. I think most of the market out there are people that wants to buy and use them still. Problem with this that you cannot find parts for some of the high standard models. Which unfortunitly command less in actual selling value. Mine fell in that category. I never was able to sell my gun but kept seeing other auctions sell for about 600. I would imagine yours if in good working order would command more than mine in price. But if you really want to get rid of it take a reasonable offer. best luck.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for your comments. I guess i will sit on it and think about what i want to do. I do know i can get some parts for it if i need to since i checked into that already just in case. When it comes down to it, i think it will depend on what someone would buy it for considering i would be using this pistol to finance other firearm purchases. I have just recently became interested enough in firearms (since moving to an area that made it easy) and everything i have (read 2 firearms) were giving to me. One is the Hi-Standard and the other is a sporting rifle chambered in .303 british. I will be purchasing a used Ruger Redhawk .44 mag in SS within the next week or so. If i could get the middle to upper end of what i have seen this Hi-Standard go for i would be picking up a new 870 express, maybe a taurus wheel gun in .357 for carry, and work toward a Remington 700 I'm just not sure of the chambering. In between the 870 and the .357 i might (not sure yet) invest in some RCBS reloading equipment to save money in the long run since I'm still relatively young.

If you guys have any thoughts on this line of thinking (good or bad) that would be great. If you don't then thank you for sharing your knowledge and thoughts with me. Knowledge is what will make be a better shooter (and person in general). Without knowledge, all the practice i don't won't help if i can practicing the wrong way. Practice does not make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Prefect practice make perfect.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #9

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Since you mention buying a Redhawk 44 mag I have to put in my .02 cents worth. I have owned one for close to 30 years, if all that I could own is one weapon it would have to be the Redhawk. If you don't handload as I do then it's a bit spendy for target shooting as I think the least expensive ammo I have found has been around $35 for 50 rounds. Anymore with the shortages of ammo and reloading components, the price of handloading has gone up considerably. The least expensive way I've been able to handload is by casting my own hard cast bullets, so over the years my bullet mold has seen a few thousand bullets made. If you handload for the 44 mag I'd recommend getting a carbide sizing die as they pretty much eleminate the need for sizing lube, I don't have one for my 44 but do for 40 S&W and it saves you the time and effort of cleaning any lube left on the shell cases which you do not want to get inside the cases or anywhere near the primers. The only thing I'd say about the High Standard is with all the ammo shortages there seems to be 22 shorts on the shelves, haven't seen 500-525 count 22 lr bricks for some time and 50 round boxes of 22 lr are often not available. If you can get a good price selling or trade it might be a very good idea.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:24 AM   #10

Viking, thanks for the thoughts. Most likely I will be buying the Redhawk used (from family, looks like new) next Wednesday unless something sets me back. I would probably get it sooner but your county set is just over an hour away so its a little bit of a drive. I would be the third owner of the Redhawk but i know both the other owners and they both take very good care of their firearms. So well in fact that the Redhawk doesn't even look like its ever been fired. I had posted a thread in the revolver forums on this site and most people said that the price i'm getting it for was a great deal ($306 clear) $6 for the paperwork.