HI Point vs all others - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > HI Point vs all others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I remember when Davis was in business and nobody wanted their product. I was buying their auto's for $25. Now they have a cult like following and a lot of people really like them.

I remember when mentioning the Tarus name in the gun world would lead to a plethora of nastiness. Now they are considered to be on the higher side of mid priced guns.

I remember when Magnum Reaserch started importing the Baby Eagle and EAA started importing the Witness. Gun shops could't give them away. Now they are highly sough after.

I have been called a gun snob because my safe contains a $2000 custom built Ruger Mk II and a $1500 custom built 1911. But what they don't realize is the next shelf contains a Grendel P-12 .380 I bought for $125 and a Makarov .380 that a guy threw in on a gun deal just to sweeten the pot. I have never owned a High Standard and I dont care for how bulky they look but they don't offend me either. That posision is held by the one and only Lorcin I ever owned. I would support your use of a pipe, a nail and a claw hammer if thats all you could aford as long as it got you out to the range.

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #32
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3356 Times on 2270 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Guns with bad reps.

Hey, I remember when I bought my Taurus PT-92(with match grade barrel), people Blasted me at my civilian range, and My shooting team members(in my reserve Unit) laughed at me,...Until I won two matches in a row....then everyone was looking for either the same Taurus or a Beretta....That Taurus still does Groups under 2-1/2" at 25 yds. While it would never cut it in a "Second Chance" event(strictly .45's and Magnums in that crowd!) but hey if it loads and goes Bang,...use it!!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 06-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #33

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
It could be worse. It could be the 10,000th thread about the supremacy of all things Glock.
Thats true i guess--
Hey, 2 more & we'll hit that glocky number

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #34

Liked 2603 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaJim View Post

I have never owned a High Standard and I dont care for how bulky they look but they don't offend me either. That posision is held by the one and only Lorcin I ever owned. I would support your use of a pipe, a nail and a claw hammer if thats all you could aford as long as it got you out to the range.
You do realize that Hi-Standard and Hi-Point are two different

companies, right? Hi-Standard makes pistols which, IMHO, are a

hallmark of the industry.

As I've repeatedly stated, after the success of their 995 and 945

carbines, I just eagerly await what product Hi-Point will present next .

I'm sort of hoping it's a bolt gun.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #35

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Therewolf you are correct sir. I typed that right before going to bed and after reading your post I see my mistake. I wish I would have saw it before I posted it but I have been known to be wrong before. Just ask my wife. I am aware High Standard and High Point are two difrent companies but my tired old eyes did not notice that I had miss typed the name. From what limited experience I have had with High Standard, I actually like their products. Thank you sir for keeping me honest. Remind me some day to tell you the story about the Preachers kid, and a High Standard pump .22 and it's failure to feed bird shot.

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

Last edited by PappaJim; 06-07-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #36

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
I remember when Davis was in business and nobody wanted their product. I was buying their auto's for $25. Now they have a cult like following and a lot of people really like them.

I remember when mentioning the Tarus name in the gun world would lead to a plethora of nastiness. Now they are considered to be on the higher side of mid priced guns.

I remember when Magnum Reaserch started importing the Baby Eagle and EAA started importing the Witness. Gun shops could't give them away. Now they are highly sough after.

I have been called a gun snob because my safe contains a $2000 custom built Ruger Mk II and a $1500 custom built 1911. But what they don't realize is the next shelf contains a Grendel P-12 .380 I bought for $125 and a Makarov .380 that a guy threw in on a gun deal just to sweeten the pot. I have never owned a High Standard and I dont care for how bulky they look but they don't offend me either. That posision is held by the one and only Lorcin I ever owned. I would support your use of a pipe, a nail and a claw hammer if thats all you could aford as long as it got you out to the range.
That doesn't make you a gun snob, that just means those around you own some pretty cheap guns. A gun snob is someone that buys a gun just because its expensive or rare not because they love the firearms they have.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Therewolf you are correct sir. I typed that right before going to bed and after reading your post I see my mistake. I wish I would have saw it before I posted it but I have been known to be wrong before. Just ask my wife. I am aware High Standard and High Point are two difrent companies but my tired old eyes did not notice that I had miss typed the name. From what limited experience I have had with High Standard, I actually like their products. Thank you sir for keeping me honest. Remind me some day to tell you the story about the Preachers kid, and a High Standard pump .22 and it's failure to feed bird shot.
How many times have I made the same mistake? I know I don't see as well

as I used to, and sometimes grab the wrong can off a grocery store shelf.

Plays hell with my recipes, when giblet corn winds up being creamed corn,

or diced tomatoes winds up being stewed tomatoes.

Looking forward to the story about the Preacher's kid.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3045 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAtactical View Post
I was recently in a very heated discussion about the quality and reliability of Hi point. Most of ou know I would never own one as I love my Sigs and Glocks and even my spring field 1911. But I had a guy try to tell me that he would defend his house and family with the Hi point over all the rest Any day. How do y'all feel about this
Grabbing a Hi Point beats being a defenseless victim, but "over all the rest, any day?" "All the rest" is a lot of dang guns to ignore.
It might be time to adjust his meds.

Quote:
I remember when mentioning the Taurus name in the gun world would lead to a plethora of nastiness. Now they are considered to be on the higher side of mid priced guns.
That still depends one who you ask. I have found them to be underwhelming, even for their reduced price.
Not a hater, as such, but I'm probably never getting another one. Come to think of it...we are actually a bit overdue for a Taurus hate thread
I remember when Magnum Research started importing the Baby Eagle and EAA started importing the Witness. Gun shops could't give them away. Now they are highly sough after.
I have a Witness Elite Match .45. "Highly sought after" might be a bit of an overstatement. I wish it were true. Then accessories/parts/etc. for them would be cheaper and more common.
NRA Life Member

How will we know it's time to gather up the pitchforks & torches and start assembling the guillotine on the DC mall?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 06-08-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Grabbing a Hi Point beats being a defenseless victim, but "over all the rest, any day?" "All the rest" is a lot of dang guns to ignore.
It might be time to adjust his meds.
In light of having a Sig, HK, or Kimber confiscated by

LE after a justified shoot, how would you feel about

using that Hi-Point?

Old 06-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #40
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 991 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 117

One thing about the Hi point .45, is that if it fails to fire or runs out of ammo, you can hit someone with it an put them down!! Thats for sure, thats for dang sure!!

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered