Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > HI Point vs all others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

We take them in on trade once in a while, generally give $50 for them, then they go in the used case for $80 to $90, We send them all to HI-POINT for inspection, and fine tuning. When we get them back, they run as good as any gun out there.....HP customer service is over the top good. Im not a HP fanperson...but what is,,,is what is......

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

People Like This 
Old 06-02-2013, 04:29 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Its possible that someone out there has tried all sorts of guns and settled on the hi-point as their favorite. That being said its not likely. I have owned a c9 and the 40 cal pistol. I have since sold both of them because I now own far better (IMHO) guns. I bought them when I first got into shooting and after they began to collect dust I got rid of them. People defend them so staunchly because of all the undue hatred people have for them. They aren't worthless by any means they just are what they are, cheap to buy, heavy, and fairly reliable( I say fairly because their magazines are terribly inconsistent). But saying they are the best option out there is pretty preposterous. That is like saying you used to drive a corvette or a Porsche but decided the geo metro was a better vehicle. I like the hp brand just fine. I'm glad there is a firearm out there for people in this price range. It's just not for me and I think if most people who say they are just as good as my glock where honest, they'd admit they just bought it because it was cheap and they didn't want to wait until they could afford something better. I know that's how I ended up with one.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #13
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAtactical View Post
That is probably the most respectable answer I have heard so far. Not even on this forum but on Facebook and discussions with friends and co workers. I personally would never use one but I see what your saying. This is a touchy subject for the HP fans out there but the facts you have said give me a more balanced answer next time I am asked.
JMA, I always try to look at what niche any item fills that other items in their category do not. That's what usually leads me to finding the good points in anything. Very rarely does a consumer item stay in production and selling to the public very long without someone's problem being solved by that item. If it's unsafe, the company is sued out of business. Hi-Point was founded in 1992, 21 years ago. Their "bad" reputation comes from a new manufacturer having mis-steps that were simply growing pains and the general belief amongst the firearm industry that "cheap" can never equal "usable," or even "safe." In some circles, Forjas Taurus has endured much the same maligning, and they have been around since 1939 with millions of happy customers. Both companies offer a lifetime guarantee to any owner, but even this has not swayed some that affordable guns can also be efficient in their price point.

Of course, one must also take into account "The Impossible Consumer." This is the person that wants a gun as powerful as a .44 magnum, the quality of S&W Performance Center, the weight of a derringer, the cost of a Hi-Point, and while you're at it, no recoil. No matter what a company produces, this person will never be happy. Luckily, most of us are wise enough to realize that everything in life is a compromise.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 06-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Of course, one must also take into account "The Impossible Consumer." This is the person that wants a gun as powerful as a .44 magnum, the quality of S&W Performance Center, the weight of a derringer, the cost of a Hi-Point, and while you're at it, no recoil. No matter what a company produces, this person will never be happy. Luckily, most of us are wise enough to realize that everything in life is a compromise. [/QUOTE]
That is so true. You see this in forum post from people looking to buy their first handgun all the time. If such a gun existed everyone would have it.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #15

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

So it seems that it all boils down to what's right for you and your budget. So far this thread has shown me a lot I hadn't considered in the past. Hell even I don't carry my Glock when I go camping, I just feel like my revolver is a better choice. I can see where some people want to rush to the defense of the HP brand and I understand. I am glad y'all could help to give me more insight. I by means have the cash to throw at high priced firearms anymore as I now have two children and they are expensive lol. I have in the past when I had money to throw away owned the Jimenez 22 just to see how it performed. It sucked bad by the way lol. I guess there is no harm in trying a brand out that isn't very costly but in my case I won't own one as I have said. Maybe I will just try to see the other side of the spectrum when it comes to this debate as I know it will happen again. I know that I would rather own a nice firearm with a good rep all day long. But a good point was made here. You don't stay in business if you produce failed products so to that extent alone I will give a little credit to the company and let their fan base enjoy the guns

Old 06-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6086 Times on 3339 Posts
Likes Given: 11660

If you prefer a more expensive gun, I could sell mine for $1,200.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #17

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Just damn near any modern handgun is generally very reliable.

If all I had were a hi point, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

If all I had were a couple hundred bucks, and no great prospect of getting more in pocket, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

They go bang. Their CS is stellar.

I'm glad I have something a bit easier to pack around though.
It's this guy's home, OP, his family.

If he chooses to protect it with Hi-Point,

so be it.

I wouldn't be surprised when his, and many

other well maintained Hi-Points work,

where the gun snob's dirty units fail.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

It's this guy's home, OP, his family.

If he chooses to protect it with Hi-Point,

so be it.

I wouldn't be surprised when his, and many

other well maintained Hi-Points work,

where the gun snob's dirty units fail.
You make a good point, Therewolf. A well-maintained Hi-Point may answer the call better than an abused and Ill-cared-for name brand.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #19

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

This one came in as a trade at the shop. 9mm, ext mag. They gave it to me. I ran 50rnds WWB thru it just so i could say i did. Tossed it in the back of the safe. Its like a Jap truck, runs good, but you dont want anybody to see you driving it..........

image06012013222642.jpg  

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

People Like This 
Old 06-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #20

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl
This one came in as a trade at the shop. 9mm, ext mag. They gave it to me. I ran 50rnds WWB thru it just so i could say i did. Tossed it in the back of the safe. Its like a Jap truck, runs good, but you dont want anybody to see you driving it..........
Hahaha I love it. It's a good point.