HI Point vs all others
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > HI Point vs all others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Default HI Point vs all others

I was recently in a very heated discussion about the quality and reliability of Hi point. Most of ou know I would never own one as I love my Sigs and Glocks and even my spring field 1911. But I had a guy try to tell me that he would defend his house and family with the Hi point over all the rest Any day. How do y'all feel about this

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

I think that guy is an idiot. There are many great reliable handguns out there.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Hi-point is good for exactly what it was built for: to provide home protection and concealed carry for those of a lower income bracket that can't afford a Sig, Glock or Springfield. They are not meant to fire 10,000 rounds nor are they a "Legacy Gun" that you can hand down to your children. It's meant for the rare shooter that needs to defend himself, and in that capacity it is adequate.

I must add that it is a great entry gun for the family where the spouse controls the purse strings and any more than $150 will have the other half screaming, "You spent HOW MUCH on a gun?!?!" This gets them introduced to shooting without the high expense to start, and you can always upgrade.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 06-01-2013 at 09:51 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg
Hi-point is good for exactly what it was built for: to provide home protection and concealed carry for those of a lower income bracket that can't afford a Sig, Glock or Springfield. They are not meant to fire 10,000 rounds nor are they a "Legacy Gun" that you can hand down to your children. It's meant for the rare shooter that needs to defend himself, and in that capacity it is adequate.
That is probably the most respectable answer I have heard so far. Not even on this forum but on Facebook and discussions with friends and co workers. I personally would never use one but I see what your saying. This is a touchy subject for the HP fans out there but the facts you have said give me a more balanced answer next time I am asked.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7801 Times on 4228 Posts
Likes Given: 16491

I have better and more expensive rifles and shotguns locked in the safe. But I do keep a Hi-Point JHP in a drawer for fast access home defense. It is reliable and has a lifetime warranty.
I would not say I prefer it over all others, but it does the job.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-02-2013, 01:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool
I have better and more expensive rifles and shotguns locked in the safe. But I do keep a Hi-Point JHP in a drawer for fast access home defense. It is reliable and has a lifetime warranty.
I would not say I prefer it over all others, but it does the job.
I am just one I those guys that likes my high end pistols. I can't rest easy with a cheap gun at my side. I know that my Glock could fail and I know Hi Points have worked just fine for many people but I wouldn't have one. My friend has a 380 HP and he likes it a lot. When I hold it and shoot it something about it just turns me away.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've owned one and I wouldn't recommend one to anybody for home protection or self defense. Unless you plan on hitting them over the head with it. I practically had to give it away because there is no resale value.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipotlejoe
I've owned one and I wouldn't recommend one to anybody for home protection or self defense. Unless you plan on hitting them over the head with it. I practically had to give it away because there is no resale value.
I agree man. I know we all have our opinions and beliefs and mine is that you should defend your life with a firearm you know and trust will operate. I am always preaching this to the people that come to me for tactical advice or training. I tell them just like a certain firearm add " when it comes time to defend your self do you want the deal of the day in your hand or the most dependable weapon you can buy" my own words but I still stole it lol

Old 06-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #9

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Just damn near any modern handgun is generally very reliable.

If all I had were a hi point, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

If all I had were a couple hundred bucks, and no great prospect of getting more in pocket, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

They go bang. Their CS is stellar.

I'm glad I have something a bit easier to pack around though.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:55 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2336 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 843

The torture test I've seen Hi Point go through is impressive.

They are ugly. They are heavy. They are cheap. Would I pick it over a knife or stick? Yes. Would I pick it over a Jimenez? Probably. Would I buy one? Not likely.

If it's all you can afford, then go for it.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
axxe55 Likes This