Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > hi point pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default hi point pistol

Hey guys I found a hi point for 175$ and I'm thinking about getting it what is your guys thought on them? And this just for shooting paper not for carrying

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2012, 03:23 AM   #2

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Don't have a Hi Point, but eventually will. Just buying pistols that are potential carry weapons at the moment & the Hi Points are just too large & bulky for that purpose. I'd say 95% of the folks that have posted about them have given positive reports on reliability & good customer service. A lifetime warranty with no questions asked & you don't even have to be the original owner. Ugly as sin, but they seem to go bang everytime you pull the trigger. A lot of folks look down on them because of the low price & many of those that bad mouth them never owned one & are going by someone else's opinion who also never owned one.

If you look hard enough, you'll find a few that had issues with them & just dumped them rather than give Hi Point a chance to make it right. That's the kind of guy I'm waiting to meet. I'll give him $50 for his sorry pistol, then let Hi Point pay the freight to send it in for repair/replacement.

If I get to the point that I'm ready to buy & haven't found that 'junker', $175 ain't a bad price for a new one, but I've heard as low as about $150.

Last edited by gollygee; 02-04-2012 at 03:26 AM.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee
Don't have a Hi Point, but eventually will. Just buying pistols that are potential carry weapons at the moment & the Hi Points are just too large & bulky for that purpose. I'd say 95% of the folks that have posted about them have given positive reports on reliability & good customer service. A lifetime warranty with no questions asked & you don't even have to be the original owner. Ugly as sin, but they seem to go bang everytime you pull the trigger. A lot of folks look down on them because of the low price & many of those that bad mouth them never owned one & are going by someone else's opinion who also never owned one.

If you look hard enough, you'll find a few that had issues with them & just dumped them rather than give Hi Point a chance to make it right. That's the kind of guy I'm waiting to meet. I'll give him $50 for his sorry pistol, then let Hi Point pay the freight to send it in for repair/replacement.
Alright so is 175 a bit to much or is it in the ballpark for a used one

Old 02-04-2012, 03:28 AM   #4

Buds gun shop. They have new hi points 170-200.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573 View Post
Alright so is 175 a bit to much or is it in the ballpark for a used one
Oops, I'd edited my post to indicate the $175 was a good NEW price, while you were posting this. I've seen new ones many times for $180 or so. I'd offer him something less, but at the same time, since you'll still have a full warranty don't expect him to come off that very much unless he has had problems with it. The $50 I talked about was to someone that was having problems & just wanted to dump it.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:42 AM   #6

Quote:

Oops, I'd edited my post to indicate the $175 was a good NEW price, while you were posting this. I've seen new ones many times for $180 or so. I'd offer him something less, but at the same time, since you'll still have a full warranty don't expect him to come off that very much unless he has had problems with it. The $50 I talked about was to someone that was having problems & just wanted to dump it.
Well it's at a pawn shop and they have a couple hi point and a older looking 38 special for the same price not sure what the 38 is I could not make out the name of it at I'm wanting to try a pistol out and like u said so many people talk bad about them and never tryed them

Old 02-04-2012, 03:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573 View Post
Well it's at a pawn shop and they have a couple hi point and a older looking 38 special for the same price not sure what the 38 is I could not make out the name of it at I'm wanting to try a pistol out and like u said so many people talk bad about them and never tryed them
I'd be more careful of a .38 special for $175 than a Hi Point. One thing about a Hi Point, it's built h*** for stout & I don't recall any kabooms on them. But, I have heard of some junk revolvers out there so I'd be sure & get a brand & research it, unless it's one you recognize as being good.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:54 AM   #8

Quote:

I'd be more careful of a .38 special for $175 than a Hi Point. One thing about a Hi Point, it's built h*** for stout & I don't recall any kabooms on them. But, I have heard of some junk revolvers out there so I'd be sure & get a brand & research it, unless it's one you recognize as being good.
Well tomorrow I'm going to look at both of them and and ask the shop owner about it

Old 02-04-2012, 05:01 AM   #9

Likes Given: 2

I have owned 2 Hi Points( 9mm & 40) and have saw at least a half dozen others being shot. All of them went bang well except a brand new 9 that seemed to have a mag problem causing it to jam. I would be more worried about one of the "cheap" 38's out there. ALOT of cheap revolvers are out of time that I've saw. Cylinders that wiggle in all directions! Prob trust the Hi Point....

Old 02-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardog
I have owned 2 Hi Points( 9mm & 40) and have saw at least a half dozen others being shot. All of them went bang well except a brand new 9 that seemed to have a mag problem causing it to jam. I would be more worried about one of the "cheap" 38's out there. ALOT of cheap revolvers are out of time that I've saw. Cylinders that wiggle in all directions! Prob trust the Hi Point....
Alright all look at the hi points then

Last edited by bigdaddy573; 02-04-2012 at 06:18 AM.