Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Hi-point JHP .45 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/hi-point-jhp-45-a-41953/)

jayguy 04-30-2011 07:13 PM

Hi-point JHP .45

I found the Hi-point JHP in .45 for $140 is this a good deal and is this a good gun?:confused:

wmille01 04-30-2011 07:24 PM

Hi Point makes what I like to call economic guns, there really not that exspensive to begin with. $140 dollar pistol doesen't sound that bad, people talk a lot of crap about the hi points but there really not that bad. Haven't had a problem with my 9mm in the 3 years I've had it.

Overkill0084 04-30-2011 08:16 PM

What is your intended use for it?
If you plan on using it for SD or HD, you should verify that it will shoot your preferred ammo reliably (like with any SD or HD gun.) You will very likely find that Hipoint is "controversial," to say the least. Near as I can tell, is reliability seems hit or miss, YMMV.

skullcrusher 04-30-2011 08:41 PM

I have over 2k rounds through my JHP .45 with very few hiccups. The main issue with them is the cheap mags, and there are no aftermarket mags for them. For a plinking tackle box type gun, they are just the thing. No worries about scratching them or beating them up because you did not spend half a fortune on them. If it does not work well for you, they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty that is transferrable. So, if they are as bad as some say, there is no way they could stay in business. Just don't pretend they are something they aren't. Mine cycles just about every brand of fmj and jhp I have put in it. Stay away from Wolf steel cased ammo.

boatme98 04-30-2011 08:44 PM

New? Used? Great price if it's new, grab it. Used, you can probably get one for a little less, but even at that price, if it's in good shape, why not. Hi Points are great guns to play with. Especially the .45's.
I bought one used from a friend just to check it out and was very pleased. After a month, someone offered me what I paid for it so it was gone, but I'd buy another one if it was a good deal.

jayguy 04-30-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084 (Post 496095)
What is your intended use for it?
If you plan on using it for SD or HD, you should verify that it will shoot your preferred ammo reliably (like with any SD or HD gun.) You will very likely find that Hipoint is "controversial," to say the least. Near as I can tell, is reliability seems hit or miss, YMMV.

I was going to use it for self defense.

HOSSFLY 05-01-2011 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayguy (Post 496143)
I was going to use it for self defense and maybe deer hunting.

DEER HUNTING?
I seriousely dont think your ready for a 45- or a 22 --------------BB mabe--

skullcrusher 05-01-2011 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayguy (Post 496143)
I was going to use it for self defense and maybe deer hunting.

Oh heck no. Find a good used shotgun if that is what you want it for.

Here, that JHP is not even legal to hunt deer. It only has a 4-3/4" barrel; and that is a fixed barrel to boot. Unless you are shooting the deer at 7 yards, go with a shotty.

Forget my earlier post.

jayguy 05-02-2011 01:49 AM

I was kidding :D:D:D

WDB 05-02-2011 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmille01 (Post 496085)
Hi Point makes what I like to call economic guns, there really not that exspensive to begin with. $140 dollar pistol doesen't sound that bad, people talk a lot of crap about the hi points but there really not that bad. Haven't had a problem with my 9mm in the 3 years I've had it.

Are your Sgt Miller with a new name? If so we missed you here. Good to have you back