Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > hi-point hand guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

i have a 9mm that i got as a gift. i put 200 rds through it.never had any problems .the rear sight had to be set all the way to the left before i got it set .its heavy and clunky but ya get what you pay for .my brother has a 40 cal and a 380.he likes them .but we both agree we wouldnt trust them with are life . just my 2 cents

Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I have the .45. Stay away from steel cased rounds. Brass is best. Load the mag and smack it on the arse. Pit of a pia stripping, but easy once you do it a couple of times, and yes you need a 1/8" punch to remove a pin to strip. Lifetime guaranee and highly rated customer service. Made in Ohio. NOT a cc gun, nor 1st in line of defense. Because of the weight of the slide and blow back design, if you ever (no matter the ammo make) 'limp wrist' the shot, it may not cycle. Plinking, a great shooter and accurate. You could wear one out, but lifetime guarantee. I think everyone should have one for fun.
I have no issues using my .45 as a #2.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #13

Honestly im not a BIG fan of the handguns, yeah they're great for the price but not as dependable as I would like. I had a 9mm and had several problems with it even after having it "fixed" several times! I do however have a High Point 9mm Carbine with an Advanced Technologies stock and I LOVE IT! Its TONS of fun to take out and play with! I had some feeding problems when I first bought it used, but I sent it back to High Point and they basically sent me a BRAND NEW gun and a free mag for my troubles! Now about 1000 rounds later I have yet to have a problem! They TRULY stand behind their lifetime warranty!

Last edited by leglesscrow; 03-04-2009 at 10:52 PM.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #14

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

If you pick this POS (Piece Of $hit) don't ask the FTF for flowers at your funeral!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 03-05-2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: let the censor work

Old 03-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've got one in .380 that I got as a cheap trainer gun for my wife. It has never failed to work.

The firing pin/extractor issue is alarming, but I've cleared a loaded chamber numerous times and never had it go off. The slide release/safety is also a really bad idea.

The ergonomics of it are pure junk. It fits the hand poorly and you've got to stretch to reach the controls. The trigger is the most inconsistent I've ever felt on anything. It feels notchy and the creep and take up are never the same.

The quality of components are crap. It's made with cheap pot metal and poorly formed injection molded plastics.

Bottom line: it's garbage, but it's garbage that functions really well and is backed by a no questions asked warranty and top notch customer service.

Like I said, I bought mine to use as a cheap trainer pistol. It works well to teach someone proper handling technique, but it was never intended to protect life. The lives of my loved ones and myself are worth far more than $90. I have a 1911, among other things, for protection.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Hello all, My .02 added?

Hello all, Ron L here = SERE SURPLUS

I've not made it a Formal resolution for 2009, But I am trying dam hard not to start any Posts with a Responce liiem "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD", But, I will STRONLGY add, for the same 200$ a Hi Point sells for, you can Find so many Other guns that will serve ya as well, if not better? I've seen a Lot of Older Revolvers 38 Spel and Up, sold for 200 or so, as they are Not COOL, OR TACTICAL, So they don' sell as well, Does Hi Point workl, YUP, Do I own any, NOPE! Have I owed nay YUP, I've had a Great 9MM Carbine and a ****ty 9MM pistol, sent back for repiar and finally sold off in discust after 3 attempts to fix? Would I buy one, DOUBTFULL, I know many fols that have them and Love them and they work, I se the Lifetime warranty as a Joke, as Jenning had a Great Repair Plan too, Now they are called Jiminez and OH Yea, No Warranty work for Old Jennings? LOL Warranty don't mean Jack, if the Company is gone, Buy one if ya see the need, please look hard before ya do and well, see what else your $ will Buy for the same $? Cost is Not always quality, , the same $ will Buy a Few other Low Cost Guns LIke the Hungarian PA-63, a 9MM makarov, Not a 9MM Luger, but It's a Great Gun and I'd lay odds mine will be working Long after Many hi points are back for Warranty work? Funny thing about Com Block Guns, Not Pretty, Sexy or Flashy, But almoist always work? Just My Opinion, Feel free to Flame away, I was a owner and a dealer, so I can Trade war stories and Back up my Claims!

RON

Old 03-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #17

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS View Post
Hello all, Ron L here = SERE SURPLUS

I've not made it a Formal resolution for 2009, But I am trying dam hard not to start any Posts with a Responce liiem "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD", But, I will STRONLGY add, for the same 200$ a Hi Point sells for, you can Find so many Other guns that will serve ya as well, if not better? I've seen a Lot of Older Revolvers 38 Spel and Up, sold for 200 or so, as they are Not COOL, OR TACTICAL, So they don' sell as well, Does Hi Point workl, YUP, Do I own any, NOPE! Have I owed nay YUP, I've had a Great 9MM Carbine and a ****ty 9MM pistol, sent back for repiar and finally sold off in discust after 3 attempts to fix? Would I buy one, DOUBTFULL, I know many fols that have them and Love them and they work, I se the Lifetime warranty as a Joke, as Jenning had a Great Repair Plan too, Now they are called Jiminez and OH Yea, No Warranty work for Old Jennings? LOL Warranty don't mean Jack, if the Company is gone, Buy one if ya see the need, please look hard before ya do and well, see what else your $ will Buy for the same $? Cost is Not always quality, , the same $ will Buy a Few other Low Cost Guns LIke the Hungarian PA-63, a 9MM makarov, Not a 9MM Luger, but It's a Great Gun and I'd lay odds mine will be working Long after Many hi points are back for Warranty work? Funny thing about Com Block Guns, Not Pretty, Sexy or Flashy, But almoist always work? Just My Opinion, Feel free to Flame away, I was a owner and a dealer, so I can Trade war stories and Back up my Claims!

RON

Please can we not support this POS Yugo of a handgun any more on this forum.

Listen to a dealer and take to heart the fact that HiPoint is SCRAP!

I don't give a rat's a$$ if you've have a good experience with this mark.

YOU ARE A DUMB A$$ IF YOU THINK THIS POS IS WORTH YOUR LIFE!

HiPoint's are not welcome in most Broward County ranges here in Florida. Take that true believers!

Please don't respond with your flowering experiences with this mark, my tea cup is full and I will reject any input about this POS product!

I has spoke!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Here's the basic facts about the Hi-Point pistols:

Fact #1:
The pistol slide is bulky and made from a substance referred to as "pot metal". Pot metal is a varying mixture of different metals. In other words, the metal used has alot of impurities. The reasoning for Hi-Point to use this is low costs because there are many automotive-type manufacturers in their area to buy these metals for use in Hi-Point firearms.

Fact#2:
The pistol is a blow-back operation. The barrel is fixed to the frame, and the only part that is moving during the cycling process is the slide. The slide to frame/barrel fit is not tight at all. You can rock the slide from side to side on a Hi-Point pistol. Now, because of this, you will never get true accuracy out of the pistols in my opinion. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong about this, but since the slide has looses tolerances with the frame and barrel, there is a chance that the slide may end up in a very slightly different position after every shot. This will affect your sight alignment, and will throw off your shots. All the people on here that has fired a pistol at ranges of 15 yards and beyond know how little movement of the sights is required to throw your rounds completely off target.

Fact#3:
When you grip the Hi-Point pistol, you will notice that the slide will ride on the top of your hands during operation. This is due to the bulk of the slide that is needed for safe operation. It is very easy to cause the pistol to "short-cycle" during operation by having the slide unintentionally ride the top of your gripping hand. You need to make it a point to change your grip slightly with the Hi-Point pistol to avoid this.

Fact #4:
The feed ramp is not factory polished like you see on most other pistols on the market (S&W, Ruger, Glock, Springfield Armory, etc...). There is a paint/finish on the feed ramp, and during use this finish will begin to flake off, which can result in malfunctions (especially if you use HP ammunition). Sometimes this is an issues, sometimes it is not. Most people will use a dremel tool to polish it down themselves.

Fact#5:
The model C9 pistol has a very low magazine capacity. 8 rounds in the standard magazine and 10 rounds in the extended magazine is very "behind the times" in the world of 9mm pistols. The .40 S&W holds 10 rounds, and the .45 ACP holds 9 rounds. In the world of high-capacity firearms, this is a setback.

Fact#6:
The magazines are very low quality. Alot of the time you will have to adjust the feed ramps yourself, and the magazines need a break in time of sorts in order to function correctly. By today's standards, a magazine should function correctly right out of the box.

Bottom line is you will get what you pay for. The pistol will fire, and the pistol will serve you well as a "tackle box" gun. I would not recommend trusting your life to it.

I have owned a Model C9 pistol and a Model JCP 45 pistol. They both fired with 80% reliability (the magazines were faulty). If you choose to purchase a Hi-Point firearm, be sure not to have overly high expectations. These pistols are low-budget utility firearms, and will work if you cannot afford anything else.

If you compare them fairly to other pistols on the market, you will notice the difference between the Hi-Point versus something like a Ruger, S&W Sigma, Glock, etc...

Whatever pistol you pick in the end, be sure to educate yourself about it, train, and keep the weapon in good condition and clean.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #19

I have a C-9 that i bought to start plinking again. For $100+ it is a very reliable accurate weapon. I have never had a jam or malfunction. It also comes with great customer service and a life time warranty for anyone that owns the gun.
As for the bashers get a real perspective of Hi-point ownership by checking out one of the hi-point forum.

Hipoint Firearms Forums - Index

You can check any forum and find guns that have reliability problems. This is an inexpensive weapon that works. Mine works so well I have friends that have bought them because they have range fired mine and like the results.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #20

Dear Sir. I have a 9mm Luger Pistol built 1918 that needs a new receiver or barrel extension plus a Hold Open Latch w/spring. Is there anyone out there that can repair this pistol. Thanks