Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   hi point 45 acp (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/hi-point-45-acp-62623/)

bs1984 04-16-2012 02:15 AM

hi point 45 acp

What's the pros and cons on the hi point 45 acp thinking about getting one just for home defense

hiwall 04-16-2012 02:25 AM

Pros= price & functionality
cons= looks, bulk, maybe long term durability

PlaysWithZombies 04-16-2012 02:56 AM

Hi point is good for plinking fun, but for home defense it's better to spend the extra money on a more reliable .45 from one of the more reputable brands

trip286 04-16-2012 03:00 AM

Not many cons really. A lot of people talk crap mercilessly about them, but just youtube hi point torture test and make your own decision.

Well...one con for sure. Hi points are extremely tough to disassemble to clean. It involves removing a roll pin in the frame. What I'd recommend doing when it comes time to clean it, is break something on it using a hammer, and then ship it back to them. Their warranty and CS are peerless. They will fix it, clean it, and likely give you an extra mag or upgraded peep sights for it. They don't ask questions, they just send you back a working gun. And the warranty follows the gun, not the owners, so you can buy one that's been through five or six different owners, Hi Point don't give a damn, they'll still fix it.

Ranger-6 04-16-2012 03:18 AM

The $189.00 Hi Point .45 JHP shoots the same bullets as the $650.00 Colt 1911. It may be a little too heavy for the weak-backs, but it will do the job when called upon. It is not a competition gun; it is a gun of defense. Not many survive a .45 to the torso, and it will tear ones leg clean off.

Tackleberry1 04-16-2012 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger-6 (Post 772251)
The $189.00 Hi Point .45 JHP shoots the same bullets as the $650.00 Colt 1911. It may be a little too heavy for the weak-backs, but it will do the job when called upon. It is not a competition gun; it is a gun of defense. Not many survive a .45 to the torso, and it will tear ones leg clean off.

Come on now. I love the .45 ACP as much as the next guy but..."tear ones leg clean off"? I'm certain you just forgot the:rolleyes:Icon...right?

Tack

Ranger-6 04-16-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 (Post 772260)
Come on now. I love the .45 ACP as much as the next guy but..."tear ones leg clean off"? I'm certain you just forgot the:rolleyes:Icon...right?...Tack

Are we not allowed to embellish a little when expressing pride in one’s weapon? The gun experts will work through it. It’s the novice that will get sucked in. I can't just lie to everybody...

PlasticGunner 04-16-2012 08:30 AM

I do not own one and most likely never will but I know 3 people that do own one, all 3 love it and have nothing but good to say about the hi point 45.... My self I just can't get by the looks.

GunRunner 04-16-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger-6

Are we not allowed to embellish a little when expressing pride in one’s weapon? The gun experts will work through it. It’s the novice that will get sucked in. I can't just lie to everybody...

You shouldn't about something that someone may stake their life on. I for one can't understand how a company can make a quality firearm, offer a life time warranty, and do it all for under $200 bucks in this economy.

If their made in China with sweat shop/slave labor maybe but something just isn't adding up