Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Hi-Point .45 ACP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 05:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hi-Point .45 ACP

Is the Hi-Point .45 ACP pistol any good ? Does anyone have one ? Thanks, George

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community George.

I don't have any personal experience with Hi Point pistols, but there are folks here that do. I'm sure they'll be around soon.

When you get the chance, please head over to the Introduction forum and introduce yourself to the folks.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-07-2011, 05:39 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Not sure how they shoot but they are heavy. Hi point has a good rep for repairs and such.

Since this is your first post I will ask you to stop by the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:05 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I have one and over 2k rounds through it. They are what they are and that is a heavy pistol with a fixed barrel. I will say that I have not shot it much since the 1911 showed up, but that is not saying that they are not worth anything.

Here's my opinion told more truthfully than you will find anywhere. They are just fine shooters for a range or plinking pistol. The mags are chealply made and there are no aftermarket mags for them. The warranty is second to none and if they were as bad as people say, then the company would be out of business especially when considering the price of a new one. I would use it for defense if that is all I had, but they are not a concealed carry gun due to weight and bulk. So, do they work? Yes they do. Are they worth the price? Yes they are. Do they compare to other makes in the same caliber? No they do not. Would I buy one for the sole purpose of defense? No I would not. For the same money, you can get used pistols or shotguns that will serve you just as good or better without the bulk and poorly made mags. Jmo that is formed by being an owner and shooter of one. Over 2k rounds throuh mine and I can count the number of hiccups on one hand.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #5

Had one, it's fine, US made, +p rated, fun range gun, very inexpensive, good customer service

Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #6

My better half and I each own one. We have had them now for 6 yrs. Thyey are what they are. They shoot well because of the weight. We have not had issue 1 with either pistol. They go bang everytime with cheap FMJ ammo which is all we shoot with them. They are pretty accurate too. They are great range guns and truck guns. So long as you expect them to be what they are you will have little to no problems. If your expecting to get a custom 45 then you will be disappointed.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #7

I've seen many a dead thug with a double fed or stovepiped hi-point in his hand. I would never trust my life to one.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #8

Default Thanks For The Info

Thanks all, for your perspective on the Hi-Point .45.... I am not big on fancy: a pistol I recently shot that I liked was the CZ52, firing the 7.62 Tok round...in contrast, the Glock 17 I bought my wife for Xmas has turned out to be a real disappointment....misfiring, jamming.... I never had these sort of problems with a new pistol before... I took it back to the dealer, and am in no hurry to check back on it....

Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSmitty1 View Post
I've seen many a dead thug with a double fed or stovepiped hi-point in his hand. I would never trust my life to one.
Smitty, I've no doubt you have. But you can bet your house that these things never get cleaned, have never been cleaned, and have never been maintained in any way.

Toss in the Hollywood style shooting technique these thugs popularize and you've got a limp-wrist special. Even as heavy as they are, I've done it. It is possible to make these things somewhat reliable, but the thug culture can't seem to operate belts very precisely.

And I'm sure that Hi-Point's mission statement is not to build affordable handguns that doggedly withstand combat conditions and last forever. If my budget could only afford $150, I wouldn't be buying a fingernail file... or a Louisville Slugger, either.

Is "thug" code for something. You can tell us, we're all friends here. Keep up the struggle, it would be chaos without you.

Last edited by tomwalshco; 02-10-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #10

I should clarify that I don't have any experience with hi-point 45s. It's the 9 mm that I've seen all the problems with. A lady that works with my father brought her hi point to him to see if he could fix it because it kept "jamming". My dad had broke it down and given it a good good scrubbing. We shot it with both mags and it would double feed after every round it fired. We're not gunsmiths and never could get it to stop double feeding.

Because of this I'm just not fond of high point.

Last edited by PSmitty1; 02-11-2011 at 12:14 PM.