Hi Point
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Hi Point

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 04:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hi Point

What do you guys think about the different High point pistols? The 380, 9mm, .40, and .45? How reliable are they? How accurate are they and pretty much are they worth the money? Do they break down fairly easy?

Nut up or Shut up!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-06-2009, 05:49 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It's a big, bulky, ugly zinc oxide pos. Paint it yellow and mark dewalt on it.

They go bang and I haven't heard any problems other than the magazines jamming the guns on the last round.

Breakdown is a nightmare compared to other platforms.

The upside is they are extremely cheap and hipoint will replace them for a lifetime. I just wonder how long hi-point will be around to offer this.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

SGT will be by shortly to give you all the +'s.

Just don't drop it!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #4

My brother worked at a gun store and they used to sell them. People learned a lot of lessons when they bought them, of course they got what they paid for. Magazines jamming and broken firing pins every week. And don't ask for trading them in!! :0

The HiPoint Carbine is a better go to for the brand

Old 11-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I own the .45. I use it for plinking at that is it. I've not had any major issues with mine, but I have only put about 2k rounds thru it. The mags are cheaply made with a weak spring and thin steel. Imo, it is not a carry piece because of the bulk and weight. I don't have mine for HD either because of the mags despite the fact that I can count the number of fail to feed on one hand. Accruacy is what you'd expect out of a fixed barrel, but I get pretty good results. Breakdown for cleaning is a pain as you have to remove a pin with a punch and hammer. The company itself is in Ohio and is strong. Two of the gun dealers around here sell quite a few and say they have not had to send many back the past couple of years. That is an honest review from my experience.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-07-2009, 01:58 AM   #6

My first handgun was a High Point 9mm Compact. Yes it was bulky, but I have to say that I never had any problems with it, other than the fact that the 9mm round just did not have enough punch for my personal tastes. It never jammed on me, nor did I have any last round feed issues. It was a gift from my brother in law and I know he bought it used. I kept it about two years and probably shot 2-3,000 rounds through it while I had it and still got $75.00 trade for it when I bought my 1911.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.- General George Patton Jr

I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.
Isoroku Yamamoto

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
John F. Kennedy

Old 11-07-2009, 03:21 AM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Think of it like your first car. Cheap, basic transportation useful for taking your girlfriend out for a grope session but not something your would trust your life to.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-07-2009, 03:44 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sgt Miller,
This is a lamb needing your hearding.

Me, I wouldn't own a firearm like this unless for fun. Never for defense. MHO

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Selenia View Post
My brother worked at a gun store and they used to sell them. People learned a lot of lessons when they bought them, of course they got what they paid for. Magazines jamming and broken firing pins every week. And don't ask for trading them in!! :0
Don't believe the report of broken firing pins weekly. Not in the least. Oh, you NEVER get what you pay for. Never had a mag jam on any firearm, either. If they were as bad as people who've never owned one say with as many big issues as those same people say, they would not be in business; let alone have a lifetime guarantee. Many gun dealers don't like them because they don't make much money on them. Not like they do with overpriced Glocks with the mark-up.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Sgt Miller,
This is a lamb needing your hearding.
Alright. The Hi-Point is a great buy for the money that is spent for it. I fully believe that for 150 dollars, you won't get a better new semi-automatic pistol. With that said, there are some issues that come with the brand.

1. Not exactly the quickest to field strip. It's not hard, but you need a couple tools to do it.

2. The magazines are the weak link in some cases. Sometimes you have to adjust the feed ramps on the magazine in order to get the gun to feed correctly.

3. The feed ramp has paint on it from the manufacturing process. Take that paint off and polish the feed ramp to alleviate any problems (sometimes there are no issues from the painted feed ramp).

If you are looking for an inexpensive handgun to have fun with, then purchase it. These can function as defensive weapons, but there are better brands out there if you can afford it.

My personal C9 is sitting close to 2000 rounds (I lost count...lol) fired through it so far, with hardly any hiccups. I haven't noticed any problems, and I've done multiple close inspections to look for cracks, burrs, etc.... that could be a safety issue. My Hi-Point continues to work just fine.

I will say that I'm pretty picky about the maintainence of my firearms. They are all very, very clean and polished, because...well....that's just the way I like them...lol.

If you have big hands, you may find the grip uncomfortable because of how low the slide rides in comparison to the frame (the slide may rub against your hands causing a malfunction). The capacity isn't too great on these models, because of the single stack design of the magazines. There isn't any way around this because of the trigger linkage setup.

All in all, you have to get out and handle one of these yourself. Some people like them (I do), and some people don't. Like I said, for the price tag, they aren't bad at all.