Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Help with the small ones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 03:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help with the small ones

I'm looking to purchase a small frame pistol for concealed carry. My current carry pistol is a Glock 20, but it is simply far too large to always be practical. I have very limited experience with small handguns, so I'm trying to narrow the field in a search for the right one for me.

So, I would ask for any suggestions, inputs, recommendations, etc. that you have. Thank you very much for your time and feel free to ask any questions that may help you help me.

Cheers.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-20-2009, 06:00 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8623 Times on 3735 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Well, I am a revolver fan for social purpose concealed carry. A S&W Mdl 36, 37, 38, or the stainless versions of the same are small, lighweight, decent power in a small package- and they work every time- which is my FIRST criteria for a concealed carry.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 12-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #3

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 714

I carry a Sig P230 .380 or a Hungarian PA-63 Feg 9x18 when they need to disappear completely. The newer Sig P232 maybe a better option as it has a safety. For short money the Feg is hard to beat although it does weigh more than the Sig. The Sig cycles much faster.
P230 Sig is next to a standard .45acp mag for reference.

Pa-63 Feg.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:00 AM   #4

I carry a Kel Tec PF9 every day since buying it 6 months ago. I researched this a lot before making my purchase too. The PF9 got a bad reputation early on due to some design flaws. They've worked all flaws out as of about 2 or 3 years ago. Made in America with a lifetime warranty. I've never had to use their customer service department, but from reading the KTOG forums (KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group), this company really takes care of their customers. I've only put about 300 rounds thru mine so far, but it has performed flawlessly. It took 50 rounds or so to get used to the trigger pull and the recoil, but now I'm getting 3-4 inch groupings at 10 yds. Yes, its only a 9mm, but for someone on a budget (like me) the cost of this gun, plus the low cost and availability of the ammo, is what kept me with a 9mm.

Remember, the Titanic was built by professionals, the Ark was built by amateurs. Don't be afraid to try something new." - Unknown

Old 12-30-2009, 04:06 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, I am a revolver fan for social purpose concealed carry. A S&W Mdl 36, 37, 38, or the stainless versions of the same are small, lighweight, decent power in a small package- and they work every time- which is my FIRST criteria for a concealed carry.

Might also consider The Ruger LCR.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #6

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

The number one wish list weapon for downsizing (due to my skinny frame) would be a Kahr MK40 and the next would be the PM40. I happen to like the 40 S&W round. Both are only .94" wide. They are on the spendy side but the reality is that in some ways I would have liked to have gotten the MK40 rather than the XDm 40 that I bought first. My present ccw is a Stoeger Cougar .40, not exactly compact but is more conceilable than the XDm. The only minus for the Kahr is the 5 or 6 round magazine. It's all a matter of giving up one thing for another and one can carry a lot of extra magazines for the benefit of carrying a far more conceilable weapon

Old 12-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I owned a PM40 for a short time and it was not a fun gun to practice with. I find .40 in the tiny platforms difficult to shoot accurately and just to much for the platform. Same thing with .357 in the tiny & light revolvers. The PM9 on the other hand is a very nice pocket gun - if you have large pockets...

Old 12-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #8

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the Ruger LCR sounds perfect for you. It's unbelievably light but tough, fits easily into a front pocket, has a really smooth DAO trigger, and packs a punch with 38 Special +P ammo. The price is right, too, at just over $450.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #9

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

With a proper introduction in the "Introductions" thread, I'm sure you'll find people more apt to help you.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:10 PM   #10

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I think the Ruger LCR sounds perfect for you. It's unbelievably light but tough, fits easily into a front pocket, has a really smooth DAO trigger, and packs a punch with 38 Special +P ammo. The price is right, too, at just over $450.
Right here on the forum, LCR NIB $399;

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f53/wts-ruger-lcr-399-00-a-21584/#post205182

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello