Help with a new S&W PPK/S
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Help with a new S&W PPK/S

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Help with a new S&W PPK/S

Hey I'm new here and this is my first post so sorry if I fail to include some needed info still getting the hang of this and thanks in advance for any help.

I just got my new PPK/S and after looking around didn't find much info on here but the walther forum had quite a bit and I learned that the extractor not throwing out live rounds is to be expected along with a few other things that I really didn't expect out of my brand new gun but the one thing that bothered me most and also the one thing I saw zero comments on was the fact that it failed to properly seat rounds the only time it didn't have this problem was with the very last round in the mag. so rounds 1-6 would feed from the mag up the ramp into the chamber but wouldn't seat sometimes being as far as 1/4 in. out of battery and all it took was a pound or less of pressure or a nice little tap to fix it I put about 15 rounds through it and found it had this problem while firing as well which really worried me I have now put all through it and by the end it seemed that it was only having this problem for every 1 out of every 3 or 5 I have convinced myself that this is the gun and magazines breaking in and would like someone with more experience than me to confirm this or tell me that I'm lucky to still have a hand and let me know what needs to be done.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Welcome to FTF. Clean it and run more rounds. If it doesn't fix itself (it should) try a new mag. If it still doesn't feed right take it to a smith.

I don't need No stinking signature.

insane1323 Likes This 
Old 10-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

+1 one on the above.

Also make sure you are using quality ammo. If you have some inexpensive Wally World, steel cased that is painted, expect problems.

Get the brass casing.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

insane1323 Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 03:23 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

We had some problems with my wife's PPK/S. In our case it was light primer strikes. I called Smith & Wesson, they sent a shipping label and I sent it in. It took a while, and they ended up replacing the slide, but they took care of it at no cost to us. Wonderful customer service.

There are a number of guns that require 200 - 500 rounds to break in, and not going fully into battery is a common symptom. I'd clean it, hand-cycle the slide a bunch of times, and take it back to the range. If the problem persists after a few hundred rounds, call S&W.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

insane1323 Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for responding it's nice to know that I was at least thinking in the right direction I had magtech 95 gr. (I'm pretty sure that's right I've thrown the box away) it was all they had there when I picked the gun up and as I said it seemed to me that the problem was getting a little bit better at the end of the box and it will be a week or two before I get a chance to hopefully confirm that and run some more through it

Old 10-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Every PPK/s I've owned worked better after a couple hundred rounds.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you should put at least 200 rds. through it and give it a good cleaning befor you make any decisions about returning it or taking it to a smith, give it a chance to "break in".

Old 11-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well payday rolled around and I grabbed a 100 box of winchester white box target ammo I haven't heard anything bad about the stuff but figured even if it is low end stuff at this point (breaking in and not carrying it or expecting it to save my life) quantity over quality was the way to go I expect to find a chance to to go run some through it in the next few days if there is any interest I'll post an update and try to post some pics.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #9

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Shoot the snot out of it and don't pamper it. When you get to the 200-300 round count and still have the problem that should be your red flag.

Clean/Lube shoot. Repeat often as necessary.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update for anyone who cares and/or comes across this in the future

After about 150-180 rounds the problem was gone as of now I have about 206 rounds through it and you would never know it ever had a problem last time I shot it I put about 45 rounds through it and it never had a problem.

My only other problem with the gun so far

Right at the 100 round mark I did a semi-detailed strip of the gun I completely broke down the slide removed the hammer and the ejector/slide lock seeing as these seemed to always be the dirtiest parts when I cleaned the gun after putting it all back together I took it out and shot about 30 rounds to make sure everything was good and back together right when shooting it the chamber loaded indicator would come too far back and stick with 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of the pin exposed I'm sure this was my fault somehow just not sure at what point I mucked it up.
The quick fix: is if it is tilted up press it down if down press it up the other end should find its hole and fall back in if it continues to happen which I'm guessing it will as it did with me.
The real fix: I broke the slide back down and gently stretched the spring to give it more resistance put it all together and tried again so far worked like a charm also from what I have read you can get the pin and spring through S&W on the cheap so all else fails buy replacements.