Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Help, need a handgun for my wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Check out a cz83 and the taurus millenium series as well as the jericho 941

Old 02-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #32

Liked 307 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 64

My wife shot my Sig P220 and loved it. Problem was she could not cycle the slide. So we went down to the gun store and tried a bunch of .45s until she found one she liked. We settled on the Baby Eagle by IMI. Her first shot with it nailed the bulls eye at 25 yards. Turns out that she's a better shot than I am. Either that, or she's practicing while I am at work..

Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949

Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #33

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Check out the Sig sp2022. It comes in 9mm and 40.cal. My wife is small framed and has small hands and can manipulate the slide as well as manage the recoil.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #34

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

If she finds one that she truly likes the feel of and its a Semi Auto , make sure she can work the slide ok . Alot of these small gun are using heavier springs to alleviate some of the felt recoil and it makes them tough to work for people without good grip. We had to set my mom up with a revolver for the exact same thing . You might take a look at a .357 that way you can tame it with .38 rounds when she practices with it

Last edited by purehavoc; 02-06-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #35

Liked 37 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I'm 5' 6" 125 lbs. and carry a Kimber 45 in my purse and S&W 40 cal. in my car. Some people think the recoil from a 45 will break a womans wrist but it's not true.I'm in a womens shooting club and all but one of us shoot 45 acp's.
Did you know that it's been proven that women are better shooters than men.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1487 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 513

There is one common thread I have noticed in all these I want to get a gun for my wife threads. The first thing the husband does is stick a pistol in her hands. Yet for men their first experiences are nothing like what they are expecting from their wife. I had a pellet rifle, a single shot 16 ga, a marlin 60 and a 12 ga Mossberg pump before I got to shoot a handgun more than a few times here and there. I had served in the Marine Corps and qualified with a 1911 before I ever bought a handgun.

I really think novice shooters should start with a 22 rifle and iron sights. They should become proficient with a rifle and iron sights before ever asking the novice to fire a handgun. My wife shot rifles and shotguns for a couple years before she ever tried to fire a pistol. I waited for her to ask me about pistols. I did not push her into anything. Maybe the women in your life would have better experiences if you gave them the training that most teenage males get.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 02-06-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
There is one common thread I have noticed in all these I want to get a gun for my wife threads. The first thing the husband does is stick a pistol in her hands. Yet for men their first experiences are nothing like what they are expecting from their wife. I had a pellet rifle, a single shot 16 ga, a marlin 60 and a 12 ga Mossberg pump before I got to shoot a handgun more than a few times here and there. I had served in the Marine Corps and qualified with a 1911 before I ever bought a handgun.

I really think novice shooters should start with a 22 rifle and iron sights. They should become proficient with a rifle and iron sights before ever asking the novice to fire a handgun. My wife shot rifles and shotguns for a couple years before she ever tried to fire a pistol. I waited for her to ask me about pistols. I did not push her into anything. Maybe the women in your life would have better experiences if you gave them the training that most teenage males get.
Thats a good point most are scared of any type of gun. They will love a 22. I agree with your comment that using sights on a rifle transferring over.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #38

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazispencer
Well I finally got my hands on a Ruger LC9. It's a nice little firearm but my wife didn't like it. She hates recoil so I may be in trouble with this one. She's fond of her brothers Browning buckmark, too back it's a .22 peashooter. I have true telling her, for self defense, a .22 won't do squat! We'll be going to the range to try out some others soon.
Maybe a ruger lcr 22 mag. They r making some pretty nasty bullets for them. The more comfy she is with it the more she will shoot it. That's what I'm going to have to do for my wife as well. She won't shoot anything else.... And a 22lr or 22 mag is way better than a whistle or mase for that matter