Help, need a handgun for my wife - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Help, need a handgun for my wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1848 Times on 1266 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
It must fit her hand. I know it's expensive to rent pistols for try out but you could buy something you/she doesn't like. (My sister bought a "Lady Smith" with the laser sight and she can't handle the recoil. She wants my brother inlaw to take it for his pistol but he doesn't want a Lady Smith.) I'm on his side here.
She just as well get a NA 22 wmr. That is all there is on the market other than a Bersa Thunder. A Bersa thunder is as big as my P95. It is not an easy gun to conceal. She might be one of those people that don't need a gun.

I have fired the Lady Smith my self. My P-3AT has more recoil than a Lady Smith.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer

She just as well get a NA 22 wmr. That is all there is on the market other than a Bersa Thunder. A Bersa thunder is as big as my P95. It is not an easy gun to conceal. She might be one of those people that don't need a gun.

I have fired the Lady Smith my self. My P-3AT has more recoil than a Lady Smith.
I'll check those ones out too. I've also been looking at the Ruger SR9c. I've read a lot of good things about it.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #23

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Consider the user's skill and likely deployement scenario

I know that this is the semi-auto section but as you stated it was for your wife as a defense weapon, i would seriously consider a revolver.

My reasoning is simple. Even if she picks out an auto she likes and learns how to operate it, chances are she will not practice enough with it to ensure instinctive operation of it during a time of panic. The advantage of the revolver is it's simplicity and postive results to the most primal panic responce of 'point and pull'.

Not saying autos are bad for her to consider, but if she isn't going to be practiced enough with it, then give her something that gives the biggest chance of sucessful deployment in a situation where otherwise she may fail due to forgeting about the safety, or chambering a round, or racking it successfully, or... etc etc etc.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail View Post
I know that this is the semi-auto section but as you stated it was for your wife as a defense weapon, i would seriously consider a revolver.

My reasoning is simple. Even if she picks out an auto she likes and learns how to operate it, chances are she will not practice enough with it to ensure instinctive operation of it during a time of panic. The advantage of the revolver is it's simplicity and postive results to the most primal panic responce of 'point and pull'.

Not saying autos are bad for her to consider, but if she isn't going to be practiced enough with it, then give her something that gives the biggest chance of sucessful deployment in a situation where otherwise she may fail due to forgeting about the safety, or chambering a round, or racking it successfully, or... etc etc etc.
Allot of the self defense shootings you hear about involving women also involve revolvers, not all, but quite a few.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:08 AM   #25

My wife is exact size. 5'2", 120. She has Bersa Thunder CC and Beretta Tomcat 32. Can shoot both but prefers the 32 because easier to carry and tip up barrel more convenient for chambering. Plus she never would carry the 380 but does carry the Tomcat. We live in country and have a nice pistol range so lots of practice has helped her become confident with a gun. Handling, etc.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #26

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Well I finally got my hands on a Ruger LC9. It's a nice little firearm but my wife didn't like it. She hates recoil so I may be in trouble with this one. She's fond of her brothers Browning buckmark, too back it's a .22 peashooter. I have true telling her, for self defense, a .22 won't do squat! We'll be going to the range to try out some others soon.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #27

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazispencer View Post
I'll check those ones out too. I've also been looking at the Ruger SR9c. I've read a lot of good things about it.
My wife has had a SR9C for several years

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

My wife has had a SR9C for several years
I shot one at a range recently. I liked it, but disliked how it kept jamming. I think it was the ammo, but still, not a good start haha

Old 02-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #29

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

And also, unfortunately, my wife didn't like that one either.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #30

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazispencer View Post
I shot one at a range recently. I liked it, but disliked how it kept jamming. I think it was the ammo, but still, not a good start haha
Either ammo or ranges ain't know for regualar maintenence
I've had ONE FTFire in mabe 800rds fired & it was a cheep winchester FMJ-
Thats it---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET