Help, need a handgun for my wife - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Help, need a handgun for my wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I haven't handled an LC9. I did have an SR9C and it was an excellent pistol.

Your best bet (as a married man ) is to have your wife handle as many handguns as possible. She'll definitely figure out which ones feel best. Then try and find a range that rents guns and have her shoot them or guns that are as close as possible.

Remind her that smaller guns recoil more and while they are easier to carry, they can be a pain to shoot. If she doesn't enjoy shooting it, she won't practice and she needs to practice.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 AM   #12

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazispencer View Post
These are some good pointers. I am considering a Ruger LC9 but I've read it's got a very long trigger pull. I've never fired one so I don't know what to expect. Any help would be appreciated.
Some like the trigger pull of these over produced plastic DAO pocketers, some don't. I hate long triggers and look for the shortest possible. The LC9 is the worst I've ever experienced. Not even, mushy and a mile.

Go to a shop and ask if you can dry fire some guns or go to a range that rents. That's the best advice you can get.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
These are some good pointers. I am considering a Ruger LC9 but I've read it's got a very long trigger pull. I've never fired one so I don't know what to expect. Any help would be appreciated.
I would try to check out a bersa thunder 380. My mom just bought one and it was the only one she could rack the slide on. Its also sa/da.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper

I would try to check out a bersa thunder 380. My mom just bought one and it was the only one she could rack the slide on. Its also sa/da.
I apologize, I'm new to all of this firearms talk, what's sa/da?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #15

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Single action/double action

Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 304 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 893

It must fit her hand. I know it's expensive to rent pistols for try out but you could buy something you/she doesn't like. (My sister bought a "Lady Smith" with the laser sight and she can't handle the recoil. She wants my brother inlaw to take it for his pistol but he doesn't want a Lady Smith.) I'm on his side here.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

I apologize, I'm new to all of this firearms talk, what's sa/da?
Sorry, like renegade said its single/double action. The bersa is a pretty cool gun designed similar to a walther ppk and they have a lot of replacement parts on their website. I think they are used in the police force overseas somewhere.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2399 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 690

My wife is about the same size as yours but considerably older. (If she reads this I am in trouble.) She has a Ruger SR9c. They run about $400 plus fees. The grip on the SR9c is smaller than some other pistols and it fits her hand better. She had it for a month before she let me shoot it and I bought one for myself after shooting hers. Big advantage in matched pistols. You can pick up either one and not be confused as well the mags fitting both pistols. Just remember it is her decision on what she likes so dont force one choice on her. The 380 mouse guns are harder to shoot and you probably wont be carrying.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper

Sorry, like renegade said its single/double action. The bersa is a pretty cool gun designed similar to a walther ppk and they have a lot of replacement parts on their website. I think they are used in the police force overseas somewhere.
A friend of mine, (female), has a ppk. I'll see about getting her to let me shoot it.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #20

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
My wife is about the same size as yours but considerably older. (If she reads this I am in trouble.) She has a Ruger SR9c. They run about $400 plus fees. The grip on the SR9c is smaller than some other pistols and it fits her hand better. She had it for a month before she let me shoot it and I bought one for myself after shooting hers. Big advantage in matched pistols. You can pick up either one and not be confused as well the mags fitting both pistols. Just remember it is her decision on what she likes so dont force one choice on her. The 380 mouse guns are harder to shoot and you probably wont be carrying.
Watch out man, she might be listening. Haha
I hear a lot of good things about the sr9. I'll look into it