Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Help Narrowing Down Selection - Beginner Compact Striker Dual Action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1904 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Choosing a handgun is very individualistic. Any of the major manufacturers are worth putting your hands on and trying: Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Walther, Springfield, Sig, Block... er, I mean Glock.

So, so much of it is about how it feels to you. The feel of the grip, the angle of the grip, the pull of the trigger, the trigger reset, the position of the safety (or not), the position of the mag release, the pull of the slide. There are so many things that you can never appreciate from a review.

Something you will find out soon, a gun that is great for carrying is not often a great gun on the range. The smaller the form factor and weight, the less comfortable the gun becomes to shoot. The most uncomfortable gun I have to shoot is my little 380. It disappears in my pocket and is perfect for carrying, but it will tear you up on the range if you are not wearing gloves.

For myself, my everyday carry guns are:
#1 - Kahr PM9: 9mm, lightweight, very smooth but long trigger, one of the smallest 9's you can get so it fits well in my pocket.
#2 - S&W Bodyguard 380: very small & lightweight, long heavy trigger, disappears in my pocket.

What I like shooting at the range:
My Ruger SR1911: It's big. It's heavy. It's loud. It's accurate. And I can shoot that all day long. It's also my bedside gun.
My S&W Model 17 .22 revolver: 22's are the ultimate range guns. They are very inexpensive to shoot and shoot a lot. The model 17 is rather large for a 22 which means it absorbs any perceived recoil.
My Ruger SR9c: This is probably the gun that I have that really crosses over between a good carry choice and a good range gun. Ruger did a good job of managing all the compromises with this pistol.

Check out the videos in this thread:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/choosing-handgun-mike-seeklander-58208/

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 02-01-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #12

Liked 182 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Sounds like you want a 'just compact enough to conceal' gun in an otherwise near full/duty/combat size format. Sort of a jack of all trades pistol. And you seem to prefer polymer and 9mm. That criteria is perfectly reasonable and there will be a ton of fine options.

My advice is that you investigate all medium compacts that are right around the size of a G19. And if you're going to occasionally carry, that's probably about the right size. Handling and capacity near a full-size, but compact enough to conveniently conceal.

These companies offer fine options, depending on your fit and tastes:

Springfield
Glock
FN
S&W
Sig
CZ
HK
Walther
Ruger
Beretta

I really prefer the Springfield XDm and S&W M&P. The PPQ also gets good reviews but I have no experience with it. HK is rock solid but expensive. Glock is perfectly fine but I don't love the ergos and resulting sight picture (although I have two). Ruger's SR9c is a really slim and affordable option, without sacrificing capacity or quality. CZ's P-07 is a solid little gun. FN I like, but not as much as Spingfield or M&P. Sig's SP2022 is solid and affordable, but the trigger on their P250 sucks in my opinion. Beretta's PX4 is similar to their M9/92...a good gun, but overbuilt and oversized for my tastes.

And everything in ^^^that last paragraph^^^ boild down to personal tastes. I would trust any of those guns, it simply boils down to finding what works for you. For me, XDm and M&P are tough to beat. Pistols are very much about your specific demands and fit.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #13

Liked 182 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Another great 'do-it-all' option is a G23, with 357sig and 40-9 (9mm) conversion barrels. This allows you to shoot three calibers. 9mm is adequate for defense and an affordable range choice. 40sw is relatively affordable at the range and a good carry/defense round. 357sig is less affordable, but a nice woods carry round. And you can get that whole package for like $750.

I have a G23 set up in exactly this manner. It generally wears the 357sig barrel, as it's primarily a truck and woods gun.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:36 AM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Its a interesting option that sweeper gives you to allow you to shoot several calibers from the same gun. Personally I think I would look for 2 different guns if I was spending nearly 800 bucks to allow myself dedicated weapons but it certainly illustrates options!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #15

Liked 181 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Drag your butt to a range with rental guns. Many time you rent one gun in a cartridge and can shoot the others if not in use. This way you make up your own mind. Oh M&P's triggers are better than you think with some shooting and if better is still needed a simple apex firing pin block tends to take care of that issue .

Old 02-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #16

Liked 96 Times on 71 Posts

My personal new favorite right now is my ppq m2. Then I would pick up my m&p, then ruger sr, and glock last. I own all these and that's my personal preference. Yours may differ. All are excellent firearms and would serve you well. I have no experience with caracal, but they do interest me. With the last recall I probably would give the gen2 some time to mature but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 02-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #17

Liked 165 Times on 118 Posts

I LOOOOVE my PPQ M2. But it's a little big for my to carry IWB.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:47 PM   #18
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!

Liked 2068 Times on 1426 Posts
Likes Given: 433

As far as too Big for CC,..Today we had a short momentary "scare." Some of you may remember that We almost had a "Push In" here the Friday BF X-mas...well, when I saw a Darkly Clothed Person pass my Kitchen window(clearly on my Property!) I came out the Front Door with a Flannel Shirt Jacket, one of my Heavier Walking sticks, and my .38 in the right Pocket(stick in Left hand). After Standing outside a few moments, I saw the Culprit!! a Man from the Electric Co. putting signs on folks' Door Knobs Regarding changing out the Meters...,as he worked his way down the block on the other side I mentioned to him that He might wanna knock before walking across people's front yards... He said "well Don't Shoot me Please"...I was trying to figure out how he knew I had a Gun on me then I remembered my two signs on my front porch(Trespassers will be shot! & The Dog eats what we shoot..)

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 02-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #19

Liked 165 Times on 118 Posts

If he was planning to install one of those 'smart' meters he may need some shooting!