Help Narrowing Down Selection - Beginner Compact Striker Dual Action?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Help Narrowing Down Selection - Beginner Compact Striker Dual Action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 12:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help Narrowing Down Selection - Beginner Compact Striker Dual Action?

Considering purchase of first handgun. Been doing research. Usage will be 90% range shooting, 10% conceal and carry. Primary objective is (a) accuracy/easy to shoot (b) safety (c) reliability. I have no bias to certain manufacturers as I see many do from other threads I've read.

The #1 on my list to try is Walther PPQ - appears to have nicer trigger pull and ergonomics than Glock but some say a little more recoil - seems like no big deal in a 9mm? Excellent reliability.

#2 Glock 19 Gen 4 - duh

#3 Caracal CP661 - Yes, I know these are from UAE and the previous gen was recalled, but if they got it right on the 2nd gen, this could be the best shooter out there. Great trigger like the Walther but I believe this has the lowest centerline out there as a reputation for being a very easy/accurate shooter. Still many shun this newer non-Euro or non-US manufacturer which was wise initially hence the recall. I heard they are being manufactured in Germany I think now. I guess it might still be a dice roll but a beautiful gun that would be unique at the range.

Honorable Mention

S&W M&P - Low on the list due to the not so good trigger pull (from reading multiple reviews) compared to the Walther. Still a good gun.

XDM - I'll try it, but on paper and in reviews, it doesn't seem to stack up well with the Glock or the Walther.

Here's an issue though on safety. Being a beginner, I'm a bit apprehensive carrying a striker fired gun with a very light trigger pull. The chances I would ever have to use the gun, statistically, are extremely slim (I don't frequent environments where safety issues are probably.) So I suppose I could carry without it being cocked. Yes, I know, it could be the difference between shooting the guy lunging at me with the name versus getting stabbed in the time it takes me to pull the slide back. That's a risk I'm willing to take as I firmly believe, for me, and my life situation, the type of situation I would be in to pull my gun would involve using the threat of it as a deterrent and pulling the slide back puts an exclamation on that threat. I'm not a cop, a drug dealer, or have meth labs on my street. I think more common would be a home defense situation in which case if I heard someone I'd have time to cock the gone. If they sneaked in without waking me, I couldn't do anything anyway. I sort of laugh when considering these situations. I'm really buying this gun for "sport" and maybe to pack with me while hiking by myself. I live in one of the least dangerous areas of the least dangerous cities in the U.S.

So, this leaves a Dual Action pistol. At the range I can cock it and use it as single action. When carrying I can let the first pull be dual action.

But does anyone carry a dual action pistol where the single action trigger pull is on par with the Walther or Caracal or will a single action pull on a dual action gun not even come close?

Last edited by consultant; 01-28-2014 at 12:38 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

Get to a range that rents guns and try a few.
You perception of a heavy trigger pull could be different than mine, and the way the gun fits your hand will also be different.

In other words, what works for me may not work for you.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

You are about to become a collector of firearms, you just don't know it yet. Every firearm you buy will be a compromise. You'll really like one thing about it, but another gun will have something else you really like. My best advice to you is in agreement with danf_fl. Go to a range and rent.

As to the Walther, I am not a big fan of the magazine release. In the back of my mind I can see me snapping it off at the worst possible time. It's probably an unrealistic thought, but it's there just the same. My daughter has a Walther .22 with that release. She loves everything about that gun.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #4

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Of those you mentioned ---Glock them M&P (no other S&W simi need apply)

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-30-2014, 01:28 AM   #5

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

Perhaps also take a look at the SR9 from Ruger. Mine has been absolutely wonderful and reliable. They have a manual safety that some consider unnecessary but if I were to carry it would be with one in the pipe and I feel the added safety would be a piece of mind. I was fortunate enough to put 3 rounds in a dime sized group at about 11 yards with it last fall which put my mind at ease in terms of accuracy...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 01-30-2014, 01:40 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Stay far far far far far far away from the caracel its a total pos.

The ones you list the xdm is the best of the lot. Best trigger out of all of em plus a grip safety making it the only one in your list that actually has a safety. A dongle on a trigger isn't a safety. The xdm won't go off unless your hand is gripping it in a firing method. The others are routinely set off off by foreign objects and carelessness. Look up "glock leg"

The xdm 3.8 compacts are superbly accurate ultra reliable and work with full size or shorty mags for ccw. Kinda fits exactly what your looking for. I own a 3.8 and 4.5 in 45acp the wife has a 4.5 in 9mm just fantastic guns.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-30-2014, 01:45 AM   #7

Liked 285 Times on 200 Posts

I own a Walther PPQ and it is an excellent firearm. And so far I have not heard of any owners with complaints. BUT, any double stack handgun may be hard to CC depending on your carry method. If you need something smaller a PPS is really handy. Try to shoot and/or fondle as many handguns as you can. Comfort and fit is critical for good shooting. Good luck.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:44 AM   #8
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3068 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
I own a Walther PPQ and it is an excellent firearm. And so far I have not heard of any owners with complaints. BUT, any double stack handgun may be hard to CC depending on your carry method. If you need something smaller a PPS is really handy. Try to shoot and/or fondle as many handguns as you can. Comfort and fit is critical for good shooting. Good luck.

Walther is a great gun from the feel of the ones I handled@ SHOT this month. I'm also quite Found of my Ruger SR9, you may want the 9C if weight and a +4" barrel is an issue. Have also been found of 92 Patterns', and the new 3series SIGS look like they are Gonna be "the Shyt"
I will make no comments on the "G" word....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 02-01-2014, 12:03 AM   #9

Liked 115 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 139

shield is the one for you...don't pay too much attention to other people's reviews...try yourself. I have smiths, glock and xdm and the smith has the best stock trigger for me...operative concept 'for me'.

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #10

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
shield is the one for you...don't pay too much attention to other people's reviews...try yourself. I have smiths, glock and xdm and the smith has the best stock trigger for me...operative concept 'for me'.
Now theres something you don't hear everyday

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET