Help Me Pick a 9mm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Help Me Pick a 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Help Me Pick a 9mm

Hi folks. I'm looking to pick up a 9mm for around the house and possibly to eventually carry if we ever get out of California. I'm on an extremely tight budget and had to sell a gun so I could buy this one. My budget is $500. or less plus or minus tax and fees.

Here's what I'm looking at:

1. A used LE trade in Sig P226 for $449.

2. A new XD 9mm for $469.

3. As a very distant third, maybe a new Ruger P95 for around $400. +/-

I should be able to pick a good Sig out of the stock, because it's at the shop where I used to work.

The new XD is a 20 mile drive twice. Once to buy it then again to pick it up in ten days.

What do you guys think?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You could pick up a Ruger SR9 or a SR9C for $ 400 or less. I have a SR9 and have been really happy with it. Nice carry gun.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 04-30-2010, 02:00 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with the Sig P-226 of the choices you put out there. The XD would be a distant second place on my shopping list.

I have shot, probably, 10 Sig Sauer pistols. Of the ones I have shot, the 226, 228 and 229 have always been pistols that eat what you feed it, works every time and puts rounds where you want them to go.

For awhile, Sig was running a program where if you owned a Sig pistol, you could send it back to them at the factory and they would refurbish the whole pistol, including night sights, for a very minimal charge. I do not know if that program is still underway. Please don't buy a pistol based on my fuzzy memory of such a service, call first - which I know you would do.

Of the list you put forth, I don't think you can do better than a Sig. They make a hell of a pistol.

Please keep us informed with what you go with.

JD

Old 04-30-2010, 02:05 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm definitely leaning toward the Sig. The XD is in there because it's new. The Ruger is in there strictly for price considerations.

If I can High Grade a Sig tomorrow, I'll likely go that way. The only thing stopping me is that folks really seem to like their XD's. For twenty bucks more, I get a new pistol. But personally, I prefer steel and alloy over polymer.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-30-2010, 02:10 AM   #5

My pick of the litter would be the XD. The P226 is on my list of "must-haves", that I will eventually buy one day, though I think when I do, I will try and find one that wasn't pre-owned by LE, unless there is a factory refurbishing program that is current, or it is for sale as factory refurbished.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” J. Cooper

Old 04-30-2010, 02:24 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

I think you should get a Sigma, you can get it for like $290 after discount. then you have money left for ammo. Just Saying.

Thank you, I'll be here all week, and try the veal.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:47 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ya' want to hear something really stupid that really ticks me off? J&G Sales has FM Hi Powers (Argentine) for $339. in VG to excellent condition. At that price, I can pay the FFL's $65. fee and still come out ahead.

But NO.... they can't ship them to California because they're not on the CA DOJ list!

I had a hard chromed FM and although it wasn't a Browning, it never missed a beat for me. I had a Browning, but it got sold and the FM was it's eventual replacement. It was an excellent pistol. I sent it to Novak's and had a touch of work done on it and I would have staked my life on that pistol.

We're trying really, really hard to exfiltrate this state post haste.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:33 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I just went to the Springfield Armory website and checked out the XD 9 Service Model. I don't like it, it's got that Glocky looking trigger thing going.

I'll probably just get the Sig unless someone else has a better idea. (No Sigma's please Shi. )

Old 04-30-2010, 03:53 AM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

BHP

I'd go with the Sig Don. BHP

BHP

But something else is on the tip of my tongue? BHP

BHP

It will come to me soon. BHP

BHP

I'm saving my pennies for this baby!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-30-2010, 03:56 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'd love another Browning Hi Power, but they're $1,000. at the shop.

I was also hoping to find a smaller 9mm. When I hit the shop tomorrow or Saturday, I'll see what else they have. Maybe I can find a CZ 75 Compact. That would be ideal for size. Decent capacity and a bit smaller than the Sig.

Last edited by CA357; 04-30-2010 at 03:58 AM.