Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > help me decide on an intelligent handgun purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default help me decide on an intelligent handgun purchase

i have been thinking about getting a new handgun for a while. I have 1 handgun now and it is a
Taurus PT-111 pro, it has worked very reliably for 6000 shots.

i am fairly sure that i would like to get another 9mm for a couple reasons, please give me your input on this:

1. If i generally go to the range every couple weeks or so and use 200 regular 9mm rounds i am spending around $70 when factoring in the 15 mile drive and $10 drop in fee. i would assume that a .40 or a .45 is going to cost alot more to shoot?

2. then in the .001% chance that i am in a situation where i need to shoot someone in self defenes i heard that something like a .45 (when using hollow point of course) isnt going to make tons of difference in being able to actually cause damage to soft tissue and wound an attacker.

Because im not super knowledgable please give me some reasons that i might want to consider a caliber higher than 9mm.

But anyways heres a couple points im looking at when making this purchase

1. My pt-111 is compact and has a 3in barrel. i would like something larger with a bigger hand grip and a longer barrel, something more suited for target shooting.

2. i want something with AT LEAST a 12 round mag

3. Relatively light trigger pull, something similar to the pt-111 or lighter

4. easy to accessorize (sights, grips, maybe laser ect if i really want)

5. simple. i want something with a switch saftey and thats it, i dont want tons of saftey trigger saftey, palm saftey ect.

6. oh and most importantly, $650 or less. Im willing to go over that by a little bit if a certain gun is just an awsome deal to get but definitely not touching $900-1000

that or maybe tell me what handguns you have and why you got them

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2009, 02:37 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've always heard that a .45 will attain full expansion in a human target where the 9mm travels through the target and expands a minimal amount leaving a small hole on both sides rather than the massive fist sized hole of the .45. I don't know if it's true, but it seems logical.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:34 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The 9mm round will expand as designed (hollowpoint). It all depends on the loading you use as far as penetration/velocity goes.

As far as a second pistol is concerned, have you thought about getting a full size Taurus with similiar design to your PT-111?

Old 06-21-2009, 03:55 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fapprez View Post
I've always heard that a .45 will attain full expansion in a human target where the 9mm travels through the target and expands a minimal amount leaving a small hole on both sides rather than the massive fist sized hole of the .45. I don't know if it's true, but it seems logical.
The .45 does not leave a fist-sized hole. 20MM does, but not .45.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
As far as a second pistol is concerned, have you thought about getting a full size Taurus with similiar design to your PT-111?
well i liked the taurus alot but then also its my first handgun. i think it would be smart to try out another brand

Old 06-21-2009, 04:50 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
The .45 does not leave a fist-sized hole. 20MM does, but not .45.
Unless he has the worlds tiniest fist.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Consideration of any handgun requires trade-offs....

Let's just take between 45, and 9mm........

9 mm

more rounds, a little lighter to carry, cheaper ammo, usually cheaper to buy, a bit less energy

45 fewer rounds, heavier to carry, more expensive, (ammo too) , generally regarded as a better defensive round in terms of impact energy, and expansion........

Pretty much up to individual preferences. That being said, I carry 1911's in .45 ACP, and have for over 30 years......

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 06-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by field View Post
i have been thinking about getting a new handgun for a while. I have 1 handgun now and it is a
Taurus PT-111 pro, it has worked very reliably for 6000 shots.

i am fairly sure that i would like to get another 9mm for a couple reasons, please give me your input on this:

1. If i generally go to the range every couple weeks or so and use 200 regular 9mm rounds i am spending around $70 when factoring in the 15 mile drive and $10 drop in fee. i would assume that a .40 or a .45 is going to cost alot more to shoot?
.40's are a little more expensive and .45's are almost twice as much.

Winchester whiteboxes in my town $11.97 9mm,50rds; $16.97, .40, 50rds; $21.97 .45's 50rds
Nothing wrong with 9mm for defense imo, but I prefer .40's.

Quote:
in the .001% chance that i am in a situation where i need to shoot someone in self defenes i heard that something like a .45 (when using hollow point of course) isnt going to make tons of difference in being able to actually cause damage to soft tissue and wound an attacker.

Because im not super knowledgable please give me some reasons that i might want to consider a caliber higher than 9mm.
You want to make bigger holes and pay more for ammo...if you can find it??

Quote:
But anyways heres a couple points im looking at when making this purchase

1. My pt-111 is compact and has a 3in barrel. i would like something larger with a bigger hand grip and a longer barrel, something more suited for target shooting.

2. i want something with AT LEAST a 12 round mag

3. Relatively light trigger pull, something similar to the pt-111 or lighter

4. easy to accessorize (sights, grips, maybe laser ect if i really want)

5. simple. i want something with a switch saftey and thats it, i dont want tons of saftey trigger saftey, palm saftey ect.

6. oh and most importantly, $650 or less. Im willing to go over that by a little bit if a certain gun is just an awsome deal to get but definitely not touching $900-1000

that or maybe tell me what handguns you have and why you got them
I also have the pt111 millenium pro in 9mm. It's a good small 9mm, but I don't care for the long trigger, or the accuracy. I have an xd40 subcompact for comparison....there is no comparison, but there is a price difference.

My suggestions for 9mm in that price range would be the XD or XDm, CZ SP01 phantom, S&W M&P, or Glocks.

Happy shooting!

Old 06-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You can find S&W M&P's, Glocks, Springfield XD's and CZ's and others that will fill the bill. You can find 1911 styles too. My suggestion is to spend some time with research and then go and handle whichever models and calibers that appeal to you.

Nine millimeter is an effective round, 45ACP is a more effective round. Try and fire some pistols in 45ACP and see what you are drawn to.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #10

As to which you caliber you decide on, I can't help you. That's something you'll have to weigh the pros and cons for.

But if you decide to stick with 9mm (or .40 S&W for that matter), then I would highly recommend a CZ. They are fantastic guns for under $650. I have the P-01, which is their compact version of the SP-01, and it's a fantastic gun. To me, it has the most comfortable grip ergonomics outside of a 1911 that I've ever felt. Look into them if you're wanting a 9mm or .40.