Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > help me choose a gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2007, 05:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default help me choose a gun

I want a cheap gun, can someone tell me if this is good
http://www.thegunsource.com/store/item.aspx?PID=45161
Does anyone know a site to get some cheaper semi-auto pistols?
Can you buy them piece by piece? Do they sell all the pieces on ebay?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-08-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2549 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default Cheap guns

Friends don't let friends own hi-points.

Life is too short to own cheap guns. I own some inexpensive guns, but no cheap guns.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:34 PM   #3

Default cobras?

are cobras just as bad?

Old 08-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #4

life also too short to be making payments on a gun

Old 08-08-2007, 11:36 PM   #5

For a few dollars more, you can get a Vz 52 (aka CZ-52), which is one of the finest Cold War pistols ever made. They generally run under $150 from suppliers like AIM Surplus and if you have an acquaintance with a C&R license, he can sell you one of his for about that amount. Mine cost me $139 +S&H.

It shoots the 7.62x25 cartridge, which is easy to find and is available in the form of very cheap surplus. Roughly the equivalent of the 30 Mauser, the 7.62x25 is a very powerful handgun round, but it shoots like a 38 Spl +p.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:52 PM   #6

people either hate or love hipoints. personaly i like my hipoint as a cheap gun. but i also own a glock. love them both

Old 08-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
For a few dollars more, you can get a Vz 52 (aka CZ-52), which is one of the finest Cold War pistols ever made. They generally run under $150 from suppliers like AIM Surplus and if you have an acquaintance with a C&R license, he can sell you one of his for about that amount. Mine cost me $139 +S&H.

It shoots the 7.62x25 cartridge, which is easy to find and is available in the form of very cheap surplus. Roughly the equivalent of the 30 Mauser, the 7.62x25 is a very powerful handgun round, but it shoots like a 38 Spl +p.
I considered buying one, but I had a chance to handle one at a gun show and boy was it heavy. The ammo isn't quite that available in all areas yet either. Perhaps Everclr might want to try a Makarov.

9x18=Makarov

Old 08-10-2007, 11:48 PM   #8

Not saying a Hi Point sucks but there are better options for not much more. A number of the Iron Curtain pistols are easily found under $200. I personally would save money a little longer and get used or PD(police department) trade in Glock, S&W auto or even a new Ruger P series.

The good thing about a PD trade in is most likely it doesn't have many rounds through it. Most departments only require qualification once a quarter and usually only a 50 round course of fire. So depending on how long it was in service it could very well have a low round count for it's age. It'll have holster wear like crazy but will most likley function absolutely fine.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:42 AM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you are going to purchase a pistol for self defense, and are serious about that choice, spend the extra money and get a proven gun from a major manufacturer. Why trust your life to a gun that may, or may not work when you need it?

Some money can be saved by getting a used gun from pawn shops, or gun shows. Remember the old saying, "You get what you pay for."

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved