help!! im a newbie :) - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > help!! im a newbie :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I honestly believe the minimum caliber that could save your skin by reducing the chances of having a wounded angry BG come after you is a 9mm. And unless restricted by state law there are many handguns in 9mm that have high cap magazines which will give plenty of follow up shots in case the adrenaline flowing in your veins keeps you from having accurate shot placement. If you rely on a .22, .25 or .380 you had better be a dang good shot and be able to hit the eyes, nose, mouth or throat otherwise a wounded BG may come up to you and take the weapon from you and either shoot or beat you with it. If the BG is juiced up on some drug even though wounded unto death they can still take your life. So are you willing to count on small caliber low power firearms or would you rather have something that would more than likely take care of the problem with double tap. By the way I have a .380 but it never goes with me, it's my last resort firearm.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #42

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

I also think 9mm is the smallest caliber you should consider, or 38 Special if you choose a revolver. Try all the brands you can, at least handle them and operate them with supervision (dry fire with permission). 9mm is the cheapest and most common centerfire pistol caliber and in the right defensive loads it is a manstopper. Definitely try out the Glock 19 or smaller Glock 26. Shoot as many models as you can too.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #43

Penguin, DO NOT BUY A .25! THEY HAVE TERRIBLE REPS AND AREN'T BIG ENOUGH TO KILL A RABBIT. (assuming you didn't shoot it in the lucky foot, in that case he's a goner.)

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Old 04-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #44

I would suggest the new Taurus 24/7 G2 series.. They are available in full frame and compact models, available chambered in 9mm, .40s&w, or .45 acp... I recently got the .45 compact and I'm very satisfied with it so far. It's a da/sa pistol, meaning you can rack the slide ad chamber a round but your striker will not be cocked, once you fire your first round( which will have a longer kinda heavy trigger pull) the trigger will still be depressed when the blowback chambers another round and you will be able to fire the rest of your magazine in single action(a much shorter and manageable trigger pull). It's a safety feature on the gun to prevent accidental firing, along with a thumb safety, firing pin block, and double trigger system. The gin has a good design, comfortable to hold and very manageable recoil. Priced between $450-$500 it's a good buy and comes with 2 magazines adjustable sights, a speed loader and 2 keys to lock the gun or adjust the sights( full frame model comes with interchangeable back straps).. All on all it's definitely worth looking into and a great buy for the price in my opinion.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #45

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Investigators said ... the woman pulled a .22 handgun from under her shirt, turned and fired one shot into the man's chest at point blank range. The victim feared for her life and defended herself. http://www.wistv.com/story/15140008/female-motel-clerk-kills-robber

Old 04-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #46

If you want a really nice "plinking" gun, I suggest the Browning 1911 .22 A1. This is a really solid 7/8ths scale 1911. Mine has been reliable, accurate and fun to shoot. It has reasonable felt recoil too since the gun is small and light; it doesn't feel like an airsoft gun when shooting it, like the other 1911 .22s do. I would opt for a .38 Special snubbie if it were for Self Defense or even the Bersa Thunder .380. I have a Colt Detective Special and it is an excellent 2" revolver in .38 Special.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #47

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

If you are mainly doing plinking get a ruger sr-22 handgun it is accurate and the grip is smaller and wold fit a women well

Old 06-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #48

Before You Buy the ruger also try the Browning buckmark