help!! im a newbie :) - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > help!! im a newbie :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 02:24 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6024 Times on 3156 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin22 View Post
and it will also come hunting with us as a "back up plan" in case our first shot doesn't kill the deer.

check with your local dnr regarding coup degrace shots. some states its illegal to shoot a deer with a handgun regardless of circumstance. some states have minimum handgun caliber even for dispatching wounded deer

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-04-2012, 02:54 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

for a first gun I recommend a full size frame if felt recoil is a concern. I've taught both my wife and sister ,both are small women, on my Browning Hi Power 9mm and my M&P .45. In the end it comes down to how it feels to you and don't be afraid to try bigger calibers sometimes its not as bad as they sound.

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 04-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman3
for a first gun I recommend a full size frame if felt recoil is a concern. I've taught both my wife and sister ,both are small women, on my Browning Hi Power 9mm and my M&P .45. In the end it comes down to how it feels to you and don't be afraid to try bigger calibers sometimes its not as bad as they sound.
I agree but a 22 can be all around for cheap on shells and other puposes or an fn five seven low recoil and really powerfull

Old 04-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #14

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The bersa thunder. Badass little gun. Super reliable, VERY comfortable and for a .380 its not fit-in-my-front-pocket small. Sister -in-law has one (she's 5'2", 110lbs) and she LOVES it.

On the other hand, I just think the springfield xd40's are awesome. Its on the top of my purchase list =P

Sent from my DROID Pro using FirearmsTalk

Old 04-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Glock 19, 4th Gen (adjustable backstraps)

Old 04-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13andloveguns

I agree but a 22 can be all around for cheap on shells and other puposes or an fn five seven low recoil and really powerfull
.22 is cheap but 9mm is better for multiple functions target home defense and carry took 3 guns before I bought my .22 for cheap practice but like I said that's my opinion and everyone goes a different way important thing is you're happy with your gun and you use it safely, often and with a smile

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 04-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #17

While 22 is cheap, and great for a newbie, it really boils down to the shooter. She just needs to go to a range, try out a few guns in different calibers, and make the decision for herself. .22 is a great, inexpensive round, and you can get just about any firearm chambered in 22 these days. 9mm is also a great, fairly inexpensive round, but you're slightly more limited as far as the weapon goes, and the price for the actual firearm becomes a bit more steep. And so on and so forth. I've had a .357, .44 Special, .38 special, 9mm, .380, and
just now bought a .22 and love it. Wish I would've bought it sooner. (Ended up selling all the others except the .38 spec). She may fall in love with 9, 22, or 380. She's the only one who can decide.

So to some it up, just go try some different guns/calibers out. Don't take a strangers word for it

Old 04-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #18

Liked 21 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin22
K so..2 years ago if NEVER thought if shoot a gun...well my boyfriend has me hooked! And I'm actually looking at BUYING my first pistol.. I've shot this stepmoms ruger lc9 and I don't like the trigger...or the recoil power...I've been doing some research and maybe you guys can help me out..I've been eyeballin a kahr cw9 but I'm very concearned about the recoil :s are they comparable? And also what are some good beginner double action COMPACT OR SUBCOMPACT (I have small hands so these are way more comfy) hand guns...id like to stay in about the 500 price range and down..
I had a similar experience with my introduction to guns. Started shooting with a guy I was dating and fell in love with it. Ditched the dude but kept the gun obsession My first (and favorite) is a Glock 19. I own a Kahr CM9 and it is not a fun range gun. Only holds 6 rounds and kicks like a mule. I bought it for concealed carry and it is perfect for that but if you are buying a gun for target practice mainly I would not recommend it. Like other people have said, try as many as you can get your hands on and you will find the right one for you. When I bought the Glock I was like Goldilocks, but I learned a lot about what I did and did not like.
On a side note, yay, another female shooter

Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #19

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin22
K so..2 years ago if NEVER thought if shoot a gun...well my boyfriend has me hooked! And I'm actually looking at BUYING my first pistol.. I've shot this stepmoms ruger lc9 and I don't like the trigger...or the recoil power...I've been doing some research and maybe you guys can help me out..I've been eyeballin a kahr cw9 but I'm very concearned about the recoil :s are they comparable? And also what are some good beginner double action COMPACT OR SUBCOMPACT (I have small hands so these are way more comfy) hand guns...id like to stay in about the 500 price range and down..
XD9 sub compact. Accurate, small, hi-cap, low recoil.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

XD9 sub compact. Accurate, small, hi-cap, low recoil.
And super easy to take down. Someone was using their thinker when they designer the slide on those XDs. Pull slide, flip lever, remove slide. Cake walk.