Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > help!! im a newbie :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default help!! im a newbie :)

K so..2 years ago if NEVER thought if shoot a gun...well my boyfriend has me hooked! And I'm actually looking at BUYING my first pistol.. I've shot this stepmoms ruger lc9 and I don't like the trigger...or the recoil power...I've been doing some research and maybe you guys can help me out..I've been eyeballin a kahr cw9 but I'm very concearned about the recoil :s are they comparable? And also what are some good beginner double action COMPACT OR SUBCOMPACT (I have small hands so these are way more comfy) hand guns...id like to stay in about the 500 price range and down..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

An important consideration in choosing a handgun is what you want to do with it. Self / home defense? Concealed carry? Plinking, target shooting, or just to have one?

Kahr does make quality pistols, and if that is what works best for you, go for it. Nine millimeter is an adequate self defense caliber, with the right kind of ammo, but I would avoid the temptation to go with a smaller caliber for less recoil.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 04-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin22 View Post
K so..2 years ago if NEVER thought if shoot a gun...well my boyfriend has me hooked! And I'm actually looking at BUYING my first pistol.. I've shot this stepmoms ruger lc9 and I don't like the trigger...or the recoil power...I've been doing some research and maybe you guys can help me out..I've been eyeballin a kahr cw9 but I'm very concearned about the recoil :s are they comparable? And also what are some good beginner double action COMPACT OR SUBCOMPACT (I have small hands so these are way more comfy) hand guns...id like to stay in about the 500 price range and down..

How about a Ruger LCP 380? Affordable, compact, and dependable.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #4

Have you considered a .38 snub nose revolver? I just got an LCR for personal defense for my first gun. After a few trips to the range, I've gotten quite used to it, and I LOVE it! I'm also a female, new to the gun world. Working on getting a 9mm for range shooting now! I've become hooked! Welcome! It's an exciting journey!

Old 04-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #5

I'm hoping after I but it and get it home and out a couple hundred rounds thru it ill be ok..I just have to practice! I will mainly be using this gun for target practice..and it will also come hunting with us as a "back up plan" in case our first shot doesn't kill the deer.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 758 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Wife has small hands and she loves her Bersa .380. I just picked up an LCP, and would never pick that as my primary carry. It's great when I need the super lightweight and/or small carry gun, but it's a handful to shoot

Old 04-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If it's just for plinking, the smaller rounds should be fine because they're cheap. If it's for anything else, I personally wouldn't go smaller than a 9mm. Even everyday carry 9mm's fit in small spaces. Honestly, is that small of a handgun what you want though? Have you considered a slightly bigger size because I noticed you mentioned that recoil will be a factor into your new purchase. Generally, the heavier guns can better handle the recoil. For example, my Sig has significantly less recoil than my friends XD (both in .45acp).

Just remember that for new shooters, they will all feel like they have a lot of kick. But as you become more accustomed to the types of recoil you will get used to the same ones you used to think were bad. We all at one point thought our first .22lr at our grandparents house when we were 6 or so was badass and crazy. You live and you learn.

Anyways as far as a first time buyer goes, I would suggest first figuring out what your wanting to do with your handgun. From there we can help you further (and make sure you don't end up with a Glock).

Old 04-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry just recognized you said it was for target practice and to finish off any frisky deer. I would look into an XD, possibly the new XDs. You can get it small but bigger than the CCW types you posted earlier and can get them in many different calibers. But like I said above I would suggest a slightly bigger and heavier handgun so that the recoil isn't as much of a factor starting out. Plus the trigger pulls won't be as stiff or hard.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry last thing and then I'll shut up. Also I would check out femalefirearms.com. It's a website generated to suit the needs of female shooters.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #10

Oh just saw u were looking for one for target practice. My bad.