help for a friend
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > help for a friend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default help for a friend

i have a friend who has decided to get into semi-auto's, he has been only a revolver guy. he wants a p95 but has been told by people he works with that the polymer rails won't last on the p95, and the metal ruger uses is soft. i have two p95's but only have a few hundred rounds thru them so i don't know. i know mine have been reliable and don't show any signs of wear, his coworkers have been trying to get him to go glock. he just wants a reliable gun to take to the range, and pull duty as a home defense weapon without hurting his wallet. thanks for any help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #2

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
i have a friend who has decided to get into semi-auto's, he has been only a revolver guy. he wants a p95 but has been told by people he works with that the polymer rails won't last on the p95, and the metal ruger uses is soft. i have two p95's but only have a few hundred rounds thru them so i don't know. i know mine have been reliable and don't show any signs of wear, his coworkers have been trying to get him to go glock. he just wants a reliable gun to take to the range, and pull duty as a home defense weapon without hurting his wallet. thanks for any help.
Tell him to get the Ruger!

And have him tell his co-workers he decided to pay half the price and got twice the gun as any glock block!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Another vote for the Ruger. I'd like to know how Ruger metal is soft. It's just as good as the steel on other guns.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #4

Get the Ruger! I've had more than one and they are fine guns.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:30 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Ruger p95: $300 Plain-Jane bargain of a poly pistol.

A masterpiece? No. But certainly one of the absolute best values in the pistol market. Hard to go wrong at the price these can be found at. Same goes for the SW Sigmas.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:25 AM   #6

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 237

Where in the world do people get such ds ideas? I've owned Rugers of various types for over 30 years. They are built like tanks, they'll take a licking that would have caused other pistols and revolvers to come apart.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:53 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I own a P93, P94 and a P95. I like the P93 the best all three have proven to be fine pistols. My P95 is four years old, made before they had a rail on them. I've put a few thousand rounds though it with out any issue, No sign of wear and in my opinion a far better pistol than a Glock. The Ruger P series is hammer fired (closer to the action a revolver user will know) the Glock is striker fired and the grip angle is not what most shooters are use to.

My 2 cents

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post

His coworkers must not like him very much. Either that or they are just fanboys of the gheyist pistol eva!!

Nothing, I mean nothing wrong with the ruger p95. My favorite was a nice P89 I owned.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've shot a couple of Rugers, a buddy had one for year and years and I know of no such problems with them.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6033 Times on 3163 Posts
Likes Given: 432

used to have a P89 when they first came out and got one of their .45 cal version when they first came out as well. didnt care for either but they were leaps and bounds ahead of the glocks. i would imagine ruger has worked out the bugs in those guns since then. just be wary and dont buy an old ruger P series they werent the best when they first debuted.