Help on decision for 2nd handgun - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Help on decision for 2nd handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 02:07 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I would go with the Sig, have you looked at the Sig P239 or 229, but that is my choice. I currently carry a XD45C but I was carrying a Sig P229 in 9mm for about 12yrs. As for you having trouble purchasing in your state, I am sooo sorry to hear that. Make me glad that I am here in Az. No offense.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:24 AM   #22

I love my XD although it is in 9mm. I handled about 10 handguns the day I picked it from the group. If you order it online, know what your getting first! Oh, a standard XD will be cheaper than the XDm you got a price for and they work just fine!

In addition to gun shops you could stop at local pawn shops. Many of them have a FFL that can do your transfer.

Marlin 882SS
Century C-93

Old 04-14-2010, 03:34 AM   #23

Liked 1195 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerres26 View Post
Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far...I'm gonna check out gunbroker and see what they have to offer and I'll go from there...so if the gun has a spent casing with it and i buy online, do they still have to ship it to a dealer or can they ship directly to me?
The spent shell casing is only for new firearms I think, used are not required to have one. But verify that statement with your FFL. No matter what if you want to buy a pistol in Maryland you must go through either an FFL or the state police. The police are only an option if your doing a face to face transfer of a used pistol. The 8 day waiting period still applies but the spent shell casing does not, as far as I know and I've sold a pistol in MD to another person and the state police never asked about the casing.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 04-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #24

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I have a XDm 40 but I really like my Stoeger Cougar 40. Out of the box the Cougar was far more accurate for me to shoot, probably in large part due to the rotary lock up of the barrel and the fact that even though it is more compact with the 3.6" barrel it is heavier than the XDm because of the alloy frame. It's a great weapon for a decent price, might be worth checking out.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #25

All of the guns you mentioned are excellent weapons.

I personally own the Beretta and the Brother to the Sig250 the PS 2022 in 9mm.

I have always wanted a FN which i did get to handle.
All of them can be had for the price you mentioned.
Try to get to shoot them to see which handles best.
I don't think you would be making a mistake with any of them.
The Sig is DAO which if your other gun was SA/DA takes a little getting use to.
Great gun for home defense since you just pick it up, aim and pull the trigger.
No safety or de-cocker to worry about.
good luck.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Any SIg you buy is a good buy. I like the older model Sig's. I am looking at getting the Sig P220 Compact or the P250. Just not sure which one I want more.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:58 AM   #27
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The FNP-40 is a good pistol, it was my CC until I bought a S&W M&P 45. Out of the pistols you listed I would go with the FNP. Shoot a bunch of different pistols and find what fits you best. Let us know what you decide to buy.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:27 AM   #28

Default Second Gun

Hey Gerres26,

I have two of the three pistols you mentioned, but in 9mm, not .40; the PX4 Storm and the FNP. I love them both in the 9mm and I'd be willing to bet the same would hold true for both in the .40. I just purchased an FNX .40 on Black Friday, but I haven't fired it, so I can't speak to it yet. But I hope to get it to the range tomorrow, so I may have a report on it shortly.

I do have 2 Springfield's in .40; an XDm 3.8 an XD Sub-Compact. I have 3 other Springfield's and I'm crazy about them all, especially the lifetime warranty that comes with them. I don't think you'd go wrong with a Springfield, but neither would you with the FNP or the PX4. I recently looked at a Sig 250, but the sales rep from whom I've bought most of my pistols, told me that the guns I have are all better than the Sig 250, so that turned me in another direction. I'm sure that will offend the Sig devotee's out there and it was just one rep's opinion, but I trust the guy and that was enough for me.

Bottom line, is what feels good and handles well in your hands and makes you feel comfortable and secure. And fits your wallet as well. Welcome to the Forum, good luck with your search and let us know what you go with.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #29

This might or might not help, but springfield is giving away 3 mags with the purchase of an XD.
click: Springfield Armory Gear Up Promo Site

Old 12-01-2010, 05:05 AM   #30

Default My Second Gun

FNH USA is also having a promo until the end of the year. I'm not sure if it's nation wide, but I would imagine it is. If you're active duty or retired military or law enforcement whose duties include holding the power of arrest, you can get various rebates on their firearms. They go as high as $300 on some of their long guns and from $100 to $200 on their pistols.

I took my FNX .40 to the range today and I have nothing but good to say about it. I am so impressed with their handguns. They're lightweight, accurate and the recoil is really light, even with the .40. I took my Springfield XDm 3.8 .40 to make a comparison and the difference is very noticeable. I'm devoted to Springfield, but after a couple magazines with the 3.8 my hands begin to hurt from the recoil, but I fired 6 magazines worth through the FNX and my hands were fine. I think today pretty much convinced me that I want to trade my Springfield .40's for 9mm's in the same model.

The FN's are comparable in price to the Springfield's, just as accurate, but a bit lighter. I'm wondering how durable they'll turn out to be, but the company has a long history and associations with both Browning and Winchester in the beginning, so I'm not worried too much about reliability and durability. I'd still go with Springfield as my main gun, but FNH USA is very very close in my humble opinion.