Help on decision for 2nd handgun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Help on decision for 2nd handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 01:30 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

there are alot of pawn shops in my area...do you think that would be a bad way to go since theres no telling what those guns have been through?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:32 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerres26 View Post
I can't buy online from what I've heard because in maryland in order to buy a new handgun, it must be shipped with a spent shell and for some reason only dealers in maryland will do that.

I was at a dealer in delaware one day just handling guns to see what I liked and once he found out I was from maryland he didn't want anything to do with me and wouldnt let me check out anymore guns.
Mine was shipped with the test/spent casing.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I know these guns catch a lot of hell from a bunch of people soley because of their DA revolver like trigger pull, but have you considered a S&W Sigma .40? I don't know about in MD, but they're usually under $400. If you don't mind the trigger, they're great, reliable guns.. I used to have one.
Oh BTW, I think a lot, if not most handguns are sent with a spent casing now, my Sigma came with one. Rock Island Armory 1911's come with spent casings too.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #14

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

In many ways I agree with JD in that the .40 S&W round was an answer to a question that wasn't asked. I do have 2 .40s for one reason - ammo is available everywhere - even during shortages. I've never been a fan of the recoil impulse of the .40 as I find it very snappy with more muzzle flip than a .45 - even in the same size & weight gun. In any event, there are a lot of good guns out there and I agree that the used market may be the place to look.

I'm a fan of the classic Sigs (one of my .40s is a P229) and I also think the Springer XDs are a great gun and a good value. Never tried an XDm as it was never worth the higher price to me. Lots of folks like the S&W M&P and I agree that the Sigma is a reliable gun with a really bad trigger. If they fit your hand, you can always go with a Glock 22 or 23 - as they are what comes to mind for many when you say "forty"...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-13-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I checked gun shows and pawnshops before purchasing and the prices are more, even the used ones. Some pawnshops asked me my price and I gave them the actual best internet price for new pistol and none of them can touch it.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #16

Liked 1155 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Quote:
I live in maryland so I'm not sure how the prices are here compared to other states.
They are higher than what you see on the internet. Gunshows are your best bet for price but even then it can be a pain because of the 8 day wait. You buy your gun at the show from a dealer in Maryland then you wait 8 days to go pick it up, might be a several hour long drive, option B is to have the gun shipped to an FFL near you and pay shipping + FFL transfer fees. Gungenie is a decent way to go but there are other problems with that. A lot of manufacturers do not include the fired shell casing, if they don't gun genie will not ship to MD. Gungenie will tell you "there is a problem shipping this to your area" or something like that, it means no shell casing

You can buy a gun without a spent shell casing in MD, because some FFL's are able to fire the gun for you to make the spent shell casing, but add another $50 or so for that + you have to buy it from them or have it shipped to them so it's not cheap.

About the PX4 storm, I don't know if it has the same trigger as the CX4 (carbine) but if it does, that is the worst trigger I have ever used.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 04-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #17

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

A lot of people have their favorite handguns and they tend to forget other quality guns out there on the market.

My son just bought a Jericho .40 S&W with 4 mags for just under $500, though retail price runs about $500-$550 new with 1 mag. you can find some good deals on it.

Between him and I we have already run about 250 rounds through it and not one problem, very accurate. It has a good feel in the hand, and a crisp recoil with the .40 S&W. The trigger pull is just a tad bit light if you have children so make sure you tend the weapon at all times and if not then lock it up.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

gerres26,

I don't think one point has been made clear. You can buy online from someone out of state as long as the spent casing is shipped with the gun. You may not physically (in person) buy from a dealer in another state (i.e., your trip to a dealer in Delaware). So if you look at a site like gunbroker.com, you can check the description or contact the seller about the spent casing.

On gunbroker (don't know about other sites) you can also check for FFLs in your area who can do the transfer for you. Some dealers charge a percentage of the value of the gun when you do a transfer if you don't buy it from them, so that's worth checking out.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 04-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #19

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far...I'm gonna check out gunbroker and see what they have to offer and I'll go from there...so if the gun has a spent casing with it and i buy online, do they still have to ship it to a dealer or can they ship directly to me?

Old 04-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #20

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far...I'm gonna check out gunbroker and see what they have to offer and I'll go from there...so if the gun has a spent casing with it and i buy online, do they still have to ship it to a dealer or can they ship directly to me?
FFL (dealer) only.

Do not, repeat do not purchase a gun online before you work out the details with the receiving FFL. Also, I recommend you talk to the FFL face to face and get all the details as you want no surprises to occur after you've spent your money...