Help on decision for 2nd handgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Help on decision for 2nd handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help on decision for 2nd handgun

Hey guys I'm new to this forum but I've been scanning the site for a while now and I'm just looking for some guidance on my next gun purchase.

Ive been into guns since I was little but last year when I turned 21 I bought my first pistol(Taurus 24/7 9mm) but now I'm wanting a 40 cal to go with it. I'm looking at the PX4 Storm, the FNP40, and the Sig P250.
Any suggestions or pros and cons of each gun is much appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2010, 01:30 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Hi gerres26, stop by the introductions section and tell us about yourself.
Out of those you listed, I personally prefer the Sig, it feels great in my hand.
I recommend you go to a gun shop and handle them and see what feels best to you.
May I also recommend taking a look at a Springfield XD or XDM, as far as plastic guns go, they're about the best IMO and the trigger pull is better than the DAO Sig p250.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:36 AM   #3

Will do...as far as the xdm, I do like the gun but the last dealer I was at wanted 730 bucks for the stainless and 700 for the black model and that seemed high to me. They wanted 560 for the px4 which seemed like a good price..I live in maryland so I'm not sure how the prices are here compared to other states.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:49 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Does your dealer accept transfers?
If so, just fondle the guns at the dealer until you've found what you like, then check around on the internet, if you find what you want at a decent price, buy it and have it shipped to the dealer and just pay the dealers transfer fee if it'll save you money.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:56 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just recently bought an XDM 40 bi-tone SS/Black online for $570 + $25 shipping and $10 FFL (with 2 extra mags = 4 total, my total was about $667).

Old 04-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #6

I can't buy online from what I've heard because in maryland in order to buy a new handgun, it must be shipped with a spent shell and for some reason only dealers in maryland will do that.

I was at a dealer in delaware one day just handling guns to see what I liked and once he found out I was from maryland he didn't want anything to do with me and wouldnt let me check out anymore guns.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:12 AM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the FTF Community - The guys here usually like to have an introduction from the new guys so they can learn a little about you, your experiences and the like. It's your choice....

What are you looking for the pistol to do FOR YOU? I don't care what your friend wants it to do for you, or what your significant other doesn't want it to be, what do YOU want this pistol to do for you?

You have a reliable weapon, but I presume it's 9mm and you are wanting to step up in caliber.

Now, the .40 S&W is a cartridge that was developed for a reason. That reason was the FBI wanted a cartridge that offered a hard hitting round like the .45ACP, but in a "smaller" package that didn't jar the small handed shooters, and had the ability to pack more than 7 or 8 rounds into a compact pistol.

I bought into this cartridge hook, line and sinker when it first came out. My first pistol that I purchased with my own money was a Sig Sauer in .40 S&W.

I carried that pistol for close to a decade. Shoulder rig, small of the back, FBI Cant, backpack, truck gun - all types of situations.

I never had any problems with the gun, and I never had to use it for it's intended purpose, so I can't tell you if the .40 S&W round is the best round out there.

I made the move to the .45ACP round in a very traditional platform and I have not regretted it or looked back.

Personally I love the .45ACP round. It hits hard and leaves a big hole. The .40 S&W does hit hard, but I just PERSONALLY like the larger round.

Now, of the weapons you have listed, I have ZERO shooting experience with the Storm or the FNP40. I have handled them in the shop and have stripped them at SHOT, but I haven't been impressed enough to actually rent one to shoot. Can't help you there I am afraid.

The Sig is one that I have handled, and I have shot it at the range.

While I like the Sig line, I was not a big fan of this pistol. The rounds went on target where I wanted to put them, for the most part, but the controls were less than comfortable to reach without taking the weapon off line/off target.

I understand where they are going with this pistol, with the ability to interchange calibers and make the pistol fit more than one category. That's great for marketing - but for an end line user, I would like to see less categories filled, and a more dynamic pistol.

At the price I have seen for this pistol I would say perhaps you should go to a range that rents a lot of handguns and try a few more .40 S&W options.

Good luck.

JD

Old 04-13-2010, 02:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerres26 View Post
I was at a dealer in delaware one day just handling guns to see what I liked and once he found out I was from maryland he didn't want anything to do with me and wouldnt let me check out anymore guns.
Can't buy a gun outside your state.

I like my S&W M&P .40 cal.
I have the compact model (40c).
I Never leave home without it.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:20 AM   #9

the gun is going to be used for home defense since theres no chance of carrying in MD...I figure the 40 has good stopping power and is alot cheaper to shoot at the range than a 45, I'm basically looking for a good 40 cal for about $650 but it seems its gonna be slim picking in my state for that price

Old 04-13-2010, 02:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerres26 View Post
I'm basically looking for a good 40 cal for about $650 but it seems its gonna be slim picking in my state for that price
...you could go used...