Help choosing a gun. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Help choosing a gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1177 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

"...Take a look at the Glock 17 and 19. I doubt the other semi-autos will be as reliable. If you buy a Glock, get proper training and a secure holster. Keep it in the holster for safety's sake. If your only qualification is that your dad showed you how, you need more training, as the Glock does not forgive human error." ...Rentacop

So Rentacop, you're saying a S&W or a Springfield isn't as reliable as a Glock? Have you ever owned and/or shot any semi-auto besides a Glock?

Do yourself a favor and get over the Glock fanboy thing.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #12

Liked 278 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 30

skullcrusher-
Oh, so now the personal insults start, eh ? You wouldn't trust me to instruct your child ?
I guess you checked the registry of " known sex offenders ". Oh well. ( LOL)
Rentacop
__________________________________________________ ___________

" Psst...Hey kid, wanna shoot an Uzi ? "

Old 02-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My 8yr old does just fine at the range. He listens to me and I'm not that great a trainer.

I would go for a good S&W or Ruger .357 revolver. You can practice with 38specials as well.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #14

Wow! Tons of great information. I am very new to guns, this handgun along with a 12 ga shotgun for myself and a 20 ga for my wife and son will be our first guns. I have never shot a gun before, so before any of us do any shooting, we will be attending a gun safety class at our local gun shop/range. If I don't feel comfortable after this class I will look around for a better class before any of us shoot. I agree with what many of you said as far as my son goes. He is a responsible kid, and I trust him to take it seriously especially if he actually feels what it is like to shoot a gun. I would rather he learn as much as possible about gun safety and use with us to help guide him and answer questions, then have him stumble upon it and think it's a toy (not that I won't be keeping it locked up, but anyone with kids knows what they are capable of!). I can also understand Rentacop's point of view, my son has friends that are extremely hyper and seem to never take anything seriously. I'm not their parents, but if I were, I might have to think very long and hard about weather they should touch a gun. Hell, I have major reservations allowing them to use nerf guns in my house!

As for the pistol itself, I was not planning on actually buying it at Bass Pro, we just happened to be there and they had the guns we were interested in. I will check out Summitgunbroker also, but was planning on buying from Budsgunshop.com unless the store we plan on going to will match their prices. I checked out most of the pistols you all mentioned, and although I think I like the S&W better, it looks like the Glock 19 that someone mentioned is about 4oz lighter, so I'll see if that feels better for my wife.

Thanks for all your help! You guys are great!

Last edited by Mike5150; 02-28-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #15

Liked 25 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
skullcrusher-
Oh, so now the personal insults start, eh ? You wouldn't trust me to instruct your child ?
I guess you checked the registry of " known sex offenders ". Oh well. ( LOL)
Rentacop
__________________________________________________ ___________

" Psst...Hey kid, wanna shoot an Uzi ? "
Help choosing a gun. - Semi-Auto Handguns

10 characters
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #16

Liked 301 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 139

There's valid reasons for choosing a revolver for a 1st gun, especially for a woman & younger son with no experience. Just because they might be able to shoot a semiauto don't mean they can rack the slide. They may lack sufficient hand strength to load/unload/clean/or clear a malfunction. That's why a revolver is arguably the best bet for new/young shooters. You don't have to worry
is the mag loaded,
is the mag in the gun,
is there 1 in the chamber,
is it cocked,
is the safety on,etc.
With a revolver it's extremely simple to operate and don't require a grown man's grip strength to load. You can't get more reliable than a good revolver. It's also not dependant on bullet shape or weight. You can even shoot inexpensive lead bullet loads in a revolver interchangeably-unlike glocks.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 498 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
I admitted this is a matter of opinion but what is not a matter of opinion is that the boy pictured with the rifle above is not wearing eye protection ( no big deal but they'd flame me if I had posted the pic ).
Did you also take note of Firearm pointed downrange, finger off trigger even with him looking away. In an earlier post about the event I made mention of the eye protection. I did not get flamed because I do not impose my overwhelming Douchetasticness to every post.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:11 AM   #18

Liked 278 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Don't worry guys. I won't apply to be your kids' instructor. I'm not sure I can even get you guys to understand anything ( LOL).

A man posts that he's new to guns and everybody can't stand the idea of his 8-year-old having to shoot a .22 rifle until he's out of diapers. Okay, how many of you will agree to contribute $1000 to the " Rentacop Retirement Fund " in the unlikely event that this boy causes a gun accident with an "expert's gun" like the Glock ?

I don't see any hands...

Face it. It is silly to try to call names and ridicule a man whose handle is " Rentacop ".
__________________________________________________ _________________
" I'm not really a U.S. Army Captain. I just play one on the Internet. "

Old 03-01-2010, 02:58 AM   #19

Liked 2383 Times on 1293 Posts
Likes Given: 1447

My son is 11 years old. He is now able to shoot my 357 mag. It has not always been that way. He started with 22 rifles. He moved up to my ruger semi auto 22 pistol. He can now shoot many weapons. I believe the person with the picture of the 7 year old is pretty rare. His kid must be pretty tuff. My son has been shooting since he was about 5 years old. He can give me a run for my money. If you already know your kid can handle recoil thats good. But if not, you might get him a a 22 to start. I would be afraid of him developing a bad flinch or maybe even a fear of shooting if he gets too powerful too fast. My son loves to shoot. But I let him go at his own pace. Also my wife is 5'10" and well built. She can not rack the slide on most of my autos. Neither can either of my adult daughters. Some women have great upper body strength, some don't.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:12 AM   #20

Liked 25 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Face it. It is silly to try to call names and ridicule a man whose handle is " Rentacop ".
__________________________________________________ _________________
" I'm really a Douche. I play an even better one on the Internet. "
You're right, but you make so easy. You have brought new meaning to keyboard commando. Every piece of advice you have offered has been either unsafe or stupid. You complete the epitome of a 14 year old pimply faced little geeky kid who reads Soldier of Fortune too much. You don't know when to quit and certainly have no clue as to what you are talking about. You've been banned once for your borderline suicidal advice and yet you come back thinking we are picking on you for no reason. The reason everyone is flaming you is to ensure that no innocent person reading your posts takes you idiotic advice. Please go back to recharging the batteries for your airsoft and practice your "SWAT" poses in the mirror, because we don't need anymore Mall Ninja DB's here...we're all filled up.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me