Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Help choosing a gun. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/help-choosing-gun-23994/)

Mike5150 02-28-2010 03:01 PM

Help choosing a gun.

Hi there. I'm trying to pick out a handgun that my wife and 8 year old son can feel comfortable with. After a ton of reading I was set on getting the S&W Sigma 9mm (SW9VE). We happened to be at Bass Pro Shops yesterday and I decided to have her check it out. The Salesman also had us check out the Ruger P95. After we left she said she didn't like the P95, it was too top heavy and felt awkward. The Sigma felt comfortable in her hands, but she thinks it might be too heavy overall. We plan on going to a range and renting the gun for a while, but as I am very new to guns I don't know if the weight is something she will get used to. If it's not, I would like to have an idea of other guns to try while we are at the range. I would prefer to avoid a compact gun, and stick with something with a decent magazine capacity if possible. Since this gun is for self defense I also don't want to go any lower then 9mm. Something like the Sigma but a bit lighter maybe. Also cost is unfortunately a factor so it can't be really expensive.

Mr. Bluesky 02-28-2010 04:05 PM

Well, if you think the Sigma's too heavy, there's not much you can go to without dropping to the sub-subcompacts, and those, while useful for carrying when you otherwise couldn't, are not comfortable to shoot.

Magazine capacity should not be a consideration for you. If you hold up your end of the deal in a self-defense situation, a 5-round revolver will do its job, and if you don't plan to shoot well, you shouldn't be carrying in the first place.

You could try a revolver. While not as much "fun" at the range, I find them more natural to point than an auto, and while it might feel front-heavy, that helps to keep on target for follow-up shots. You could get a .357 Mag and practice with .38 Spl for your wife, son, and wallet. Or, you could go with the .327 Federal, which gets better energy and penetration than a 9mm, with not as much recoil as the .357. The Ruger SP101 is a quality gun available in both calibers, and can be had quite cheaply.

EDIT: If you're set on an auto, the Sigma is by no means a bad choice, but I'd go with a Springfield Armory XDm any day.

gadrooning 02-28-2010 04:11 PM

+1 on the revolver. A 357 is a good all round gun. But perchance the revolvers are not your taste. You might want to look into a SpingfieldXD or the Beretta Px4. Both are really reliable and shoot very well. The Px4 has 3 interchangable back straps to customize fit into your or you wifes hand. I have smaller hands so it fits my hands very well.

Shihan 02-28-2010 04:27 PM

Have your wife check out the Ruger LCR, many here have one, including my wife and she absolutely loves that Revolver, her other pistol is the Ruger P345, and the SR9 check those out.

Rentacop 02-28-2010 04:32 PM

Mike 5150 :
I don't know many 8 year olds that I'd trust shooting a semi-auto pistol. If your kid needs a gun, I say a .22 bolt rifle would be safer and plenty of fun. Matter of opinion and your boy may be responsible enough but that's my feeling.

Take a look at the Glock 17 and 19. I doubt the other semi-autos will be as reliable. If you buy a Glock, get proper training and a secure holster. Keep it in the holster for safety's sake. If your only qualification is that your dad showed you how, you need more training, as the Glock does not forgive human error.

If you want a revolver, look at the old S&W M&P Model 10 .38 Special with a 4" barrel and round butt. Six shots is all you are likely to need in a home defense situation. The gun is harder to shoot fast and accurately than a Glock but is even more reliable. Muzzle flip is greater but the shape makes it easy to draw fast.

Did I just recommend a revolver without any manual safety catch ?!!!! Mercy sakes. ( LOL)

Shihan 02-28-2010 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rentacop (Post 238411)
Mike 5150 :
I don't know many 8 year olds that I'd trust shooting a semi-auto pistol.

Well, that is why we need to educate Children about the proper safety and use of firearms. They are never to young to learn. My 7 year old can shoot everyone of my Guns, from .22 rifle to AK to The Mosin, and from .22 Pistol to 1911. He shoots them all, Very Well. He is well aware of the dangers and all range etiquette. I have utmost confidence in his ability. I fear not.

Mike5150, Teach you son the proper safety and shooting and you will have a bond with him and some very unforgetable moments. There is nothing a found more joy at than watch my son at the range for his first time shooting and the smile upon his face. That is something that will last a lifetime.

Mr. Bluesky 02-28-2010 04:55 PM

+1 to what Shihan said. Why wouldn't you trust a child to shoot a semi-auto at the range, Rentacop? Do you not trust yourself to teach him properly?

The LCR, while great to carry, is not an optimal teaching or home-defense weapon.

willfully armed 02-28-2010 05:20 PM

Holy balogna Batman!

If cost is a factor, DONT GO TO BASS PRO. They are typically 20% higher than most gun shops.

Check out Summitgunbroker.com--> Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.

He has lots of used guns, priced well below any gunshop. Shipped to your FFL

EXAMPLEs

S&W 10 for $245
Taurus mdl 80- $145
SW40VE $235
Rossi M88 Lady Rossi 38spc. $220
Rossi M68 38spc $189

Rentacop 02-28-2010 05:47 PM

Guys :
Why wouldn't I trust an 8-year old ? Well, maybe it has to do with the 10-year old who couldn't keep a simple air rifle pointed downrange ( repeatedly ) and accidentally pointed it at my head.
I was right beside him instructing him nicely, too.

Or maybe I was thinking of the boy at the range who handled his rifle while his father was downrange and took issue with me when I told him that it was a good practice not to touch guns or ammo while someone is downrange...and then ignored me and went back to aiming his rifle downrange.

Or maybe I was influenced by the Boy Scout leader who said he was seeing a weirder bunch of kids than ever before.

Kids today, I dunno. ( LOL)

Is it not true that kids can do things absentmindedly that adults would not ? If that is true, why have a kid routinely shoot a semi-auto pistol instead of the much more forgiving .22 rifle ?

I admitted this is a matter of opinion but what is not a matter of opinion is that the boy pictured with the rifle above is not wearing eye protection ( no big deal but they'd flame me if I had posted the pic ).

skullcrusher 02-28-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rentacop (Post 238460)
Guys :
Why wouldn't I trust an 8-year old ? Well, maybe it has to do with the 10-year old who couldn't keep a simple air rifle pointed downrange ( repeatedly ) and accidentally pointed it at my head.
I was right beside him instructing him nicely, too.

Or maybe I was thinking of the boy at the range who handled his rifle while his father was downrange and took issue with me when I told him that it was a good practice not to touch guns or ammo while someone is downrange...and then ignored me and went back to aiming his rifle downrange.

Or maybe I was influenced by the Boy Scout leader who said he was seeing a weirder bunch of kids than ever before.

Kids today, I dunno. ( LOL)

Is it not true that kids can do things absentmindedly that adults would not ? If that is true, why have a kid routinely shoot a semi-auto pistol instead of the much more forgiving .22 rifle ?

I admitted this is a matter of opinion but what is not a matter of opinion is that the boy pictured with the rifle above is not wearing eye protection ( no big deal but they'd flame me if I had posted the pic ).

I suggest leaving parenting to parents. Age is not relative, maturity is. I wouldn't trust you to teach my child.