Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Having trouble making a decision.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 10:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 21
Default

Well, yesterday I went with my Uncle and Grandfather to finish some stuff before Hunting Season at the camp. My uncle brought his Colt 1911 (Gold Cup National Match Mark IV if I remember right), his Kahr 9mm and his AR-15. I got to fire all three.

And to my amazement.. I was almost dead-on accurate shooting right handed with my right eye than I was shooting right handed with my left eye or even left handed with my left eye.. So perhaps I'm healed? He said that I was just too focused on the fact that I was "Right handed and Left Eye Dominant" that I didn't focus enough last time to shoot right, hence me shooting a bit better Left handed.. So in that case, seems as though I really can shoot right-handed and aim with my right eye.. Weird..

I think I have decided to save up my money and get a 1911. Every time I fire that Colt of his It's like I fall in love with the gun.. I love the way it feels and the power it has.. I just can't afford one of the 'nice' Kimber or Colt ones. I may look into getting a basic RIA 1911 though sometime around Christmas.

Thanks for everyone's input, but on a different note.. Anyone ever hear of someone that ran into the same 'hand and eye' situation like me? I find it weird that I can shoot better with my non dominant eye than with my dominant one..

__________________
Fierdon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Well, congratulations on your achievement and even more congratulations on choosing the best handgun platform, in my eyes, in the world - the 1911.

Have you had your eyesight checked to see if you are truly Left Eye dominant?

The reason I ask is because I am left handed, do everything left handed, except shoot. I am Right Eye dominant and I shoot, everything, right handed.

In any event, RIA makes a very good product and is a good value for the money. I do, personally, believe that Kimber is a better choice for best bang for the buck 1911 production piece, but there is nothing wrong with the RIA platform either.

In any event - I look forward to your future reports. It's been said several times on this website before, but once you buy your first 1911, you are going to end up with more. I don't know what it is, but I have 5 now, and will probably add another one at some point in the near future.. LOL

JD

__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierdon View Post
..... Anyone ever hear of someone that ran into the same 'hand and eye' situation like me? I find it weird that I can shoot better with my non dominant eye than with my dominant one..
Yeah, me. I'm completely ambidexterous with all tools and weapons. I prefer to shoot rifles and shotguns with my right eye, shoulder, and hand; but, I use: hammers, saws, drills, knives, and pistols equally well with either hand. What is more, when I shoot pistol I do not have a master eye.

It takes me a moment to switch over; but, if I squint the eye I don't want to use, then, my brain follows along. Don't envy me, though. Sometimes I suffer from a confusion few will ever experience: I've actually reached quickly for my pistol with one hand and grabbed a magazine carrier instead!

Your left eye is supposed to be your best aiming eye; the one that is better able to assimilate and process visual data. Of the several students I've worked with who were cross hand/eye dominant none of them stayed with the NRA's recommended procedure to switch hands in order to line up the (weak) hand with the dominant eye. So far, (and I'm slowly, but surely, wrapping up my time as an instructor) everyone has gone back to canting his head over in order to line up the opposite dominant eye with the opposite dominant hand.

I've considered all the objections; and, from what I can tell, this isn't so much a problem for pistol shooters. Instead, it's the long arms that are difficult to handle.
__________________
G21.45 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:23 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, congratulations on your achievement and even more congratulations on choosing the best handgun platform, in my eyes, in the world - the 1911.

Have you had your eyesight checked to see if you are truly Left Eye dominant?

The reason I ask is because I am left handed, do everything left handed, except shoot. I am Right Eye dominant and I shoot, everything, right handed.

In any event, RIA makes a very good product and is a good value for the money. I do, personally, believe that Kimber is a better choice for best bang for the buck 1911 production piece, but there is nothing wrong with the RIA platform either.

In any event - I look forward to your future reports. It's been said several times on this website before, but once you buy your first 1911, you are going to end up with more. I don't know what it is, but I have 5 now, and will probably add another one at some point in the near future.. LOL

JD
I never had my eyesight checked to verify I am left-eye dominant. I did the ol' "Make a triangle with both hands out in front of you, focus on an object and close one eye, then open it and close the other.. Whichever eye that was opened and you could see the object you initially focused on is your dominant eye" thing..

I'd love to buy a Kimber, but I just don't have that kind of money.. I'm looking now at the possibility of a Charles Daly or Rock Island Armory 1911 (Military spec is what I like best) in .45 of course.

And I know the whole "Once you buy one you never go back" thing.. I own a Jeep.. It's like a disease when you buy one, no matter how bad the gas mileage or the ride, I still would pick my jeep over any of my previous vehicles (and I've had an MR2 Spyder and Firebird before).. Dunno why.. Just love the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Yeah, me. I'm completely ambidexterous with all tools and weapons. I prefer to shoot rifles and shotguns with my right eye, shoulder, and hand; but, I use: hammers, saws, drills, knives, and pistols equally well with either hand. What is more, when I shoot pistol I do not have a master eye.

It takes me a moment to switch over; but, if I squint the eye I don't want to use, then, my brain follows along. Don't envy me, though. Sometimes I suffer from a confusion few will ever experience: I've actually reached quickly for my pistol with one hand and grabbed a magazine carrier instead!

Your left eye is supposed to be your best aiming eye; the one that is better able to assimilate and process visual data. Of the several students I've worked with who were cross hand/eye dominant none of them stayed with the NRA's recommended procedure to switch hands in order to line up the (weak) hand with the dominant eye. So far, (and I'm slowly, but surely, wrapping up my time as an instructor) everyone has gone back to canting his head over in order to line up the opposite dominant eye with the opposite dominant hand.

I've considered all the objections; and, from what I can tell, this isn't so much a problem for pistol shooters. Instead, it's the long arms that are difficult to handle.
I'm right handed, I have to write right handed and throw right handed.. But I can eat left handed and use most tools (except a hammer, knives I can work fine.) left handed also.

I still just don't see how I can go from having to shoot left handed to being able to shoot right handed only.. It confuses me..
__________________
Fierdon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierdon View Post
.... I'm right handed, I have to write right handed and throw right handed.. But I can eat left handed and use most tools (except a hammer, knives I can work fine.) left handed also. I still just don't see how I can go from having to shoot left handed to being able to shoot right handed only.. It confuses me..
First, I think that to some extent you're born this way. Second, you don't know what you're truly capable of until something in your life forces you to attempt the solution. I never knew I was ambidexterous UNTIL I broke my right arm and suddenly had to use my left for an extended period of time.

The first time I picked up a hammer on the job, reached around a right hand corner and sunk a ten penny nail in 3 shots, the old Swedish carpenter who ran the crew stopped what he was doing, looked at me, and said; 'I've been a carpenter for almost 40 years; this is the first time I've ever seen a man switch hands with a hammer and do something like that!'

My suggestion? Stop listening to what other people say. Take your conscious mind out of the equation; and let your body do what it wants. I'll bet you are able to make the switch at will if you just allow yourself to attempt it. The biggest impediment to accomplishing anything is always the crap that other people tell you. 'You can't do this; you can't do that, .... blah, blah, blah.'

If you've ever watched a student struggle to learn something, you begin to realize that you can only bring someone so far; and, after that, it's entirely up to him! As I've often said; 'There's the little engine that could; and, there's the little engine that just couldn't.' (Oh, well.)

Why don't you give switching hands and eyes a try. Shoot off one side of your body and, then, shoot off the other. I never knew that I could do this, either - until I tried! Sometimes people say to me; 'You're a left-hand gun.' I always reply; 'Today I am!' and wink at them. (Get the same puzzled look, every time!)
__________________
G21.45 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mark F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bedford Texas
Posts: 2,845
Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
First, I think that to some extent you're born this way. Second, you don't know what you're truly capable of until something in your life forces you to attempt the solution. I never knew I was ambidexterous UNTIL I broke my right arm and suddenly had to use my left for an extended period of time.

The first time I picked up a hammer on the job, reached around a right hand corner and sunk a ten penny nail in 3 shots, the old Swedish carpenter who ran the crew stopped what he was doing, looked at me, and said; 'I've been a carpenter for almost 40 years; this is the first time I've ever seen a man switch hands with a hammer and do something like that!'

My suggestion? Stop listening to what other people say. Take your conscious mind out of the equation; and let your body do what it wants. I'll bet you are able to make the switch at will if you just allow yourself to attempt it. The biggest impediment to accomplishing anything is always the crap that other people tell you. 'You can't do this; you can't do that, .... blah, blah, blah.'

If you've ever watched a student struggle to learn something, you begin to realize that you can only bring someone so far; and, after that, it's entirely up to him! As I've often said; 'There's the little engine that could; and, there's the little engine that just couldn't.' (Oh, well.)

Why don't you give switching hands and eyes a try. Shoot off one side of your body and, then, shoot off the other. I never knew that I could do this, either - until I tried! Sometimes people say to me; 'You're a left-hand gun.' I always reply; 'Today I am!' and wink at them. (Get the same puzzled look, every time!)
Yes, give it a try! I am ambidextrous but didn't know this for a long time... I did "most" everything left-handed until I accidentally discovered I could function just as well right-handed. So I use both... I shoot left & right and either eye works fine, just depends on which hand I happen to grab my gun with. You can train yourself to do this...
__________________
Mark F is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
You can train yourself to do this...
By 'Train' do you mean just shooting that way and my non-dominant eye will automatically adapt? Or is there a different way I need to try?
__________________
Fierdon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 578
Default

Maybe a bit off topic but , is it possible to not have a dominate eye ?

__________________
BigO01 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
Maybe a bit off topic but , is it possible to not have a dominate eye ?
Usually you do have one, its like just about everyone has a 'dominant' hand or whatnot.

Check this out, it tells you a general way to tell.

How To Determine Your Dominant Eye
__________________
Fierdon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:05 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Phelenwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 848
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default

If you are looking for a good handgun to carry while hunting/camping and to leave it in your truck. You can not go wrong with a .38/.357 revolver. I live in Az and am in the mountains and desert for days on end. I usaully carry my 4" Ruger GP100 or my 6" Taurus Model 669 when I am out and about riding my horses. I like the revolver because you can load up your speed loader with what ever type of ammo you need and change it out just as fast. I like to load mine with 2 bird/snake shot, 2 FMJ, and 2 JHP's or with what ever you need at the time. I use a paint marker to mark the shells for the correct shot.

Blue- Bird
Yellow- FMJ
Red- JHP

As for a semi-auto, there is a whole list that you can look at. I usually carry my XD45c or my Colt 1991A1. But for me I would not want to take the chance on running in to a bear or a mountain lion with just a .45. I am looking at getting one of Rugers awsome .44 mags or a Taurus. But the choice is yours all I can do is give you my advice.
__________________
Phelenwolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Decision time, and I'm cornfused bobbyb13 Semi-Auto Handguns 8 03-10-2009 10:19 PM
Need help with moral decision Benning Boy The Club House 40 01-17-2009 03:37 PM
The Heller Decision Vs. Executive Order? billt Politics, Religion and Controversy 12 11-25-2008 09:07 PM
Help with scope decision for a 270 mhandley General Rifle Discussion 18 04-11-2008 05:20 PM
Decision in Firearm Usage ShotgunMe Training & Safety 5 08-09-2007 10:14 PM