Having trouble making a decision.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Having trouble making a decision.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Having trouble making a decision.

I have narrowed down my 'handgun search' to these:

1. H&K USP .45
2. Taurus 24/7 Pro .45
3. Walther P99 (no .45 available, so .40S&W)
4. Ruger P345
5. Taurus PT-101
6. Taurus PT1911 .45

It makes no difference if it is Polymer or Steel. I do not, however, want an aluminum gun or aluminum frame and steel slide.

My main concerns are:
1. Ambidexterity. I have to shoot left handed as I am left-eye dominant.
2. Reliability. I want to be able to disassemble it somewhat easily.
3. Warranty. I know Taurus has lifetime, but I hear they are a pain to deal with. Not sure about the others mentioned.
4. Price. Price I would like to stay $300 to $600 roughly, no more than $750 if it is a GREAT gun.
5. Accuracy. This gun will be kept in my vehicle and used when I go hunting/camping.
6. Accessories. Perhaps the ability to put a flashlight on it, as I will be keeping it on me when I go camping and it is much easier to have the flashlight on the gun when having to make a nightly run to the privy.

I think that about sums it up.. With my lack of sleep today, I'm sure I left out a gun or two and I left my list at home =\

Also, if anyone has any real good suggestions then I'd be more than happy to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2008, 12:36 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If it's for camping and hunting, what about a Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum? I realize it doesn't have a flashlight mount, but a .44 Mag is a great round and you can use it for hunting as well. It's also in your price range.

Just throwing an idea out there.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-15-2008, 12:44 AM   #3

I like the .44 Magnum Round, A friend of mine has a gun (with mounted scope) that he bought. I'm just not a huge fan of revolvers, never really liked them that much.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:56 AM   #4

You've listed several good guns and there are of course many others that will suit your needs here so I would just like to share a thought rather than make a recommendation .

With the use of the word privy it suggests to me you will either be camping at a developed or semi developed campground complete with Vault outhouses and perhaps other campers there .

I wouldn't suggest wandering around in the dark waving around your pistol with a light on it , it's strikes me much like those that use a rifle scope as a replacement for binoculars , a very bad and perhaps dangerous thing to do .

Suppose you hear a twig snap behind you and you swing around and have an AD "Accidental discharge" being half asleep , or you simply point your gun at another camper headed for the same Privy you are ?

I can't speak for everyone else here but if you point a loaded gun at me or a family member without cause much less discharge it one of three things is going to happen . You get your ass kicked , you get a bullet fired at you or at the very least you get to have a nice long conversation with "Johny Law" as to why you're waving a gun around in the dark walking to the bathroom when all you need is the flashlight to find your way .

Buy two things and avoid all of the trouble 1 a modern bright flashlight and 2 a cheap Uncle Mikes Shoulder holster for about $30 and slip it on and don't worry about tying it down . You'll still have your gun with you if you need it and it will be out of the way for any "business" you have to do at the privy and you wont be waving it around , possibly at people unnecessarily .

Old 08-15-2008, 05:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
You've listed several good guns and there are of course many others that will suit your needs here so I would just like to share a thought rather than make a recommendation .

With the use of the word privy it suggests to me you will either be camping at a developed or semi developed campground complete with Vault outhouses and perhaps other campers there .

I wouldn't suggest wandering around in the dark waving around your pistol with a light on it , it's strikes me much like those that use a rifle scope as a replacement for binoculars , a very bad and perhaps dangerous thing to do .

Suppose you hear a twig snap behind you and you swing around and have an AD "Accidental discharge" being half asleep , or you simply point your gun at another camper headed for the same Privy you are ?

I can't speak for everyone else here but if you point a loaded gun at me or a family member without cause much less discharge it one of three things is going to happen . You get your ass kicked , you get a bullet fired at you or at the very least you get to have a nice long conversation with "Johny Law" as to why you're waving a gun around in the dark walking to the bathroom when all you need is the flashlight to find your way .

Buy two things and avoid all of the trouble 1 a modern bright flashlight and 2 a cheap Uncle Mikes Shoulder holster for about $30 and slip it on and don't worry about tying it down . You'll still have your gun with you if you need it and it will be out of the way for any "business" you have to do at the privy and you wont be waving it around , possibly at people unnecessarily .
Never really thought of that.. And its not a 'developed' camp ground. Its a deer lease and there are several tent/small camper setups in the one area.. The 'privy' is out in the woods.. haha.. Hence why I keep a gun on me.. I don't like snakes and supposedly there are bobcats out there too..

Old 08-15-2008, 05:24 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 206 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Ambidexterity. I have to shoot left handed as I am left-eye dominant

????? I know a lot of people, including myself who shoot handguns right handed and
are left eye dominant.

Any particular reason there are no Glocks on your list? They meet most of your
criteria.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:37 AM   #7

O ok , you see here in Missouri were have several areas owned and managed by the Conservation department that are lightly developed with those vault out houses and a few picnic tables here and there some even have the small BBQ pits on metal stands and they allow free camping in those general areas .

I thought you had perhaps close to the same setup .

I can tell you this for snakes you're much better off with a revolver and snake/Shotshell Loads , the shotshell loads for semiautos do not reliably cycle the action from what I have heard .

I read what I think was a true story in a hunting/gun magazine years ago where a guy fired a regular bullet at a Rattle snake that was only a few feet away from him , he missed and the impact of the bullet on the ground actually "bounced" the snake up off the ground a couple of feet meaning a bite would be more serious because higher up on you body puts the venom that much closer to you heart and quicker to cause a reaction .

Something like a 3-4 inch barreled 357 loaded with the first two shots shotshells and the rest 125 grain JHPs would do a bang up job on a small cat or even a Mountain Lion for defensive use .

For a light try one of the headlamp jobs they sell at Walmart for about $20-30 , I have one I often use when working on the truck , you would be surprised how dark it is under a hood even in daylight when you're trying to do a tuneup . Get a LED bulb and never worry about dropping it or it burnong out .

Last edited by BigO01; 08-15-2008 at 05:41 AM.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Ambidexterity. I have to shoot left handed as I am left-eye dominant

????? I know a lot of people, including myself who shoot handguns right handed and
are left eye dominant.

Any particular reason there are no Glocks on your list? They meet most of your criteria.
I have tried shooting right handed with my right eye and I am just no where near as accurate.

As far as Glocks, there are so many and I really didn't feel like doing all the research for them to find out which is the 'best'.. Plus a friend of mine has a .40 (can't remember the model) I liked the way it felt (although without magazine it felt a bit.. different) but he said they (he had two) were expensive.. So that was another reason I never really looked at them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
O ok , you see here in Missouri were have several areas owned and managed by the Conservation department that are lightly developed with those vault out houses and a few picnic tables here and there some even have the small BBQ pits on metal stands and they allow free camping in those general areas .

I thought you had perhaps close to the same setup .

I can tell you this for snakes you're much better off with a revolver and snake/Shotshell Loads , the shotshell loads for semiautos do not reliably cycle the action from what I have heard .

I read what I think was a true story in a hunting/gun magazine years ago where a guy fired a regular bullet at a Rattle snake that was only a few feet away from him , he missed and the impact of the bullet on the ground actually "bounced" the snake up off the ground a couple of feet meaning a bite would be more serious because higher up on you body puts the venom that much closer to you heart and quicker to cause a reaction .

Something like a 3-4 inch barreled 357 loaded with the first two shots shotshells and the rest 125 grain JHPs would do a bang up job on a small cat or even a Mountain Lion for defensive use .

For a light try one of the headlamp jobs they sell at Walmart for about $20-30 , I have one I often use when working on the truck , you would be surprised how dark it is under a hood even in daylight when you're trying to do a tuneup . Get a LED bulb and never worry about dropping it or it burnong out .
I never really thought of a headlamp.. haha.. Last time I went out I kept a Mag Light (small one) and held it in my mouth while I 'handled' business..

And if I shot at a snake and it hopped up that far.. I'd probably die of a heart attack before the snake bite..

Old 08-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 206 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierdon View Post
I have tried shooting right handed with my right eye and I am just no where near as accurate.

As far as Glocks, there are so many and I really didn't feel like doing all the research for them to find out which is the 'best'.. Plus a friend of mine has a .40 (can't remember the model) I liked the way it felt (although without magazine it felt a bit.. different) but he said they (he had two) were expensive.. So that was another reason I never really looked at them..

Try shooting right handed aiming with your left eye. Works fine for me, and
I know of several others that do it that way.

Glocks----seems like people love them or hate them. They are very much
within your price range.

45 ACP Glocks----Full size Model 21. Compact Model 30, Compact
single stack Model 36. That's it---only 3 to look at.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, I haven't looked at this post yet, but it appears you are getting some really good info. Definitely get to a range that rents guns and try them out before you look at dropping any hard earned cash...

I don't think you are going to be getting an H & K USp edition in the price range you are looking to spend. If you can, that is a nice weapon. I have the USP Tactical and it shoots very well. It's also very large in my hands, and I have big hands, so hitting the mag release with my shooting thumb is a bit of a stretch. I love the anti-recoil system it uses for the big .45 ACP round, but all in all, I think the gun is a bit much to be honest. Wanna buy it?

Glocks. Definitely in your price range. Very easy to clean and maintain. Not the best product available in my opinion. I am one of the people that don't personally care for them. But, as designed, they are fine for the masses in the fact that they are cost effective, reliable ( for the most part ) and easy to learn to maintain.

I'd cross both the Walther and the Ruger off the list personally. I don't think they are the best representatives of weapons in that caliber for the money. Person opinion only having handled them both at SHOT, but I have not fired them, so definitely check them out if you are interested.

Taurus makes a good 1911 for the money. I think even their base model is going to be a bit more than you want to spend though. If you can find a good deal on one, it's a good gun and has good features for cash outlay. It's not top of the line, but it offers a lot of good features that cost more on other models.

Also, get a head light like suggested. If you were wondering around with a pistol light and shown that at the wrong person, you could find yourself on the wrong end of a confrontation as indicated above. The LED ones last forever on batteries, are very durable and super light weight. Plus they are bright enough, over a spectrum around you, then a flashlight pointed in one direction.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up liking...

JD