Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Have I overlooked any good 9mm DA/SA range/HD guns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/have-i-overlooked-any-good-9mm-da-sa-range-hd-guns-96474/)

RichNH 09-03-2013 05:07 AM

Have I overlooked any good 9mm DA/SA range/HD guns
 
I've in the market for my first handgun. I took my CCW training about 6 months ago but my job has had me traveling pretty much constantly since then so I haven't had a chance to get to the range.

My plan is to get a range gun/home defense weapon with which I can practice my shooting fundamentals until I feel comfortable enough to start carrying. At that point I'll be in the market again, probably for a compact or sub-compact carry gun.

I've been reading and researching for quite a while now and I've decided I'd like my first weapon (and probably my first carry weapon) to be a DA/SA pistol in 9mm, preferably with a decocking lever. I've been putting together a list of possible guns with the intention of going to the range and renting two of them at a time and putting 50 rounds through each in a sort of shoot-off to decide which I prefer, then next trip comparing the winner to another rental from the list.

Here is the list I have compiled as possibilities so far. I am looking for suggestions on any good choices I may have overlooked. If you want to make a strong argument for a gun that doesn't meet all my criteria, feel free. I'm certainly not an expert and am trying to keep an open mind.

Here is the updated list based on feedback so far (thanks all). I've grouped them by frame material and sorted by cost (lowest to highest) as best I can determine (some were MSR others quotes off the web.)

Polymer Frame:

Ruger P95
CZ P09 Duty
Beretta PX4 Storm (Model G)
Taurus 24/7 G2 (Striker fired)
Sig Sauer SP2022
FN FNX-9
H&K P30L
H&K USP

Alloy or Steel Frame:

Stoeger Cougar
Bersa Thunder 9 Pro (thumb safety no mention of decocking?)
Beretta 92FS
CZ 75BD
Sig Sauer P229
Sig Sauer P226

TX45 09-03-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichNH (Post 1356342)
I've been reading and researching for quite a while now and I've decided I'd like my first weapon (and probably my first carry weapon) to be a DA/SA pistol in 9mm, preferably with a decocking lever.

I suggest the Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm. I have the 24/7 G2 9mm and the 24/7 G2 .45. They have DA/SA trigger & a decocker safety. They're excellent guns for the range and for home defense.

JW357 09-03-2013 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichNH
I've in the market for my first handgun. I took my CCW training about 6 months ago but my job has had me traveling pretty much constantly since then so I haven't had a chance to get to the range.

My plan is to get a range gun/home defense weapon with which I can practice my shooting fundamentals until I feel comfortable enough to start carrying. At that point I'll be in the market again, probably for a compact or sub-compact carry gun.

I've been reading and researching for quite a while now and I've decided I'd like my first weapon (and probably my first carry weapon) to be a DA/SA pistol in 9mm, preferably with a decocking lever. I've been putting together a list of possible guns with the intention of going to the range and renting two of them at a time and putting 50 rounds through each in a sort of shoot-off to decide which I prefer, then next trip comparing the winner to another rental from the list.

Here is the list I have compiled as possibilities so far. I am looking for suggestions on any good choices I may have overlooked. If you want to make a strong argument for a gun that doesn't meet all my criteria, feel free. I'm certainly not an expert and am trying to keep an open mind. Here is my current list in no particular order:

Sig Sauer P226
Beretta 92FS
CZ 75BD
H&K USP
Ruger P95

Here's some things I like about your post. You did your homework beforehand and gave us some options. You admit you have limited range time but plan on holding and shooting some before you buy. Essentially you are being an informed buyer, and for that I applaud you sir. Beats the h*ll outta those "what gun should I buy" posts.

The best I can think of is the Beretta Storm. They make all sorts of different models. Full size, compacts, sub compacts. The larger magazines of the full size will work in all of them. They are excellent guns which I rented once or twice. Certainly don't have as much trigger time as others, but I was extremely happy with the shooting. I rented the full size. The gun is inherently accurate and I didn't have any failures. That range keeps their rentals extremely dirty, too. If you get a subcompact, and if you fall in love with it, you won't have to buy another gun strictly for carry later on (unless you want to of course).

My only complaint on the Storm is the safety/decocker is rather sharply edged. I feel like it might hurt after a lot of use in a single range session. YMMV, of course.

There's also the Bersa Thunder 9, and Taurus makes one or two models that fit your parameters. I have zero experience with those specifically but I do own a pistol from each company which makes me not really want to recommend them to anyone. But if you're on a tighter budget they can be made to work. Both companies offer good warranties.

Good luck.

mdauben 09-03-2013 01:11 PM

You've done your homework well and I honestly don't think you could go wrong with any of your choices. Personally, I'd probably chose the CZ or SIG but that's entirely personal preference. Try to handle them all and shoot them if you can to see which works best for you.

CrazedJava 09-03-2013 02:34 PM

The Ruger P95 has a reputation for reliability and it won't break the bank. I own the P89 which is the older model and it's been a good handgun. Put it through the ringer and it just keeps firing. It's not going to be the most accurate handgun on your list but it will do a reasonable job of putting holes in bad guys even if I wouldn't do competition shooting with it.

The Beretta 92 series are great for accuracy. It is still the most accurate 9mm I have fired. Very nice stock trigger, not sure about long term reliability but keep up with your maintenance and it should be fine. I hear a lot of crap about Beretta's being inaccurate but from what stories I could actually trace back it's always well worn military guns shooting crappy surplus ammo.

A cheaper option to the SIG P226 is the 2022. Can be found for $450 to $500. Very good gun, accurate, and have known many owners who love them. Don't know anyone who regrets it as a purchase. I quite enjoyed my range time with it and would seriously consider it for a SD gun. Though if you have the means, I doubt you'll regret the P226 either.

DeltaF 09-03-2013 03:54 PM

I like the Sig and the CZ you picked. I noticed you didn't include the Glock 19 on your list. Was that on purpose or did you just overlook it? Also, the Sig P229 isnt as prone to the occasional rust issues that the P226 has because its stainless. But it's a little top heavy compared to the 226 and has a longer barrel.

Good research. Now to shoot them all and make the final decision!

JW357 09-03-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaF (Post 1356661)
I like the Sig and the CZ you picked. I noticed you didn't include the Glock 19 on your list. Was that on purpose or did you just overlook it?

He said he wants a DA/SA with a safety/decocker. You musta missed that part.

DeltaF 09-03-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357

He said he wants a DA/SA with a safety/decocker. You musta missed that part.

Yes I did. I'm posting on 48 hours at work with no sleep. My eyes are starting to cross and reading on these threads is all that's keeping me awake.

JonM 09-03-2013 04:14 PM

I prefer a grip safety to a decocker. Check out the xdm series. To me having a gun that won't go off unless properly gripped trumps the long da pull.

aandabooks 09-03-2013 04:51 PM

I don't have it yet but the FNX-9 fits your criteria. Supposed to be trading for one tonight and will try to get to the range in the next day or two. Maybe I'll have more input for you then.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:13 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.