Have a Beretta mod 70S, .380. Love it and want something very similar
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Have a Beretta mod 70S, .380. Love it and want something very similar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Have a Beretta mod 70S, .380. Love it and want something very similar

I inherited the gun and actually loved the gun once I shot it but something are a little awkward because I am a lefty. I would like another compact, hammer style, .380 for concealed carry.

I have shot and own some other compact hammerless like SIG and Glock and I just do not have the accuracy with them. I prefer the trigger of a hammer gun purely for accuracy reasons. I could be persuaded though. I also would prefer the .380. I understand large caliber arguments but there is a 99% chance I will never use it and the weight and size sucks. I would rather have something compact with a lot of rounds.

The 380 has low recoil, low muzzle flash, small, etc. I am also wanting cheap... I know you can get a 70S for under 200 bucks. I am a secure person that does not need a $2k gun on my person. I just want light, accurate, cheap, and lefty friendly.

If it was not obvious, I would only buy used. I just don't need the new hotness.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5650 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

bersa thunder 380 or bersa thunder plus 380. hands down best 380 for the money.

the bersas are pretty much walther ppk that dont suck.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
bersa thunder 380 or bersa thunder plus 380. hands down best 380 for the money.

the bersas are pretty much walther ppk that dont suck.
Just bought a bersa thunder 380, and i love it. Only problem is getting it back from my sister. Her husband wants to buy it off me for her and wants one for himself. I haven't handled a +, so i wonder how fat the grip would be. In a pocket pistol, 7 or 9 shots should do for me.

Oh, my sister reports that the 380 is plenty for killing an errant possum.

Lefty note* When she and i were trying it out, most of the empties were flying back over my head rather than to the right. Not sure if that would make a difference.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

the plus i like the thicker grip it almost feels like a full size. i got decent sized hand and have real issue with those micro guns like the lcr. it shouldnt be too hard to find a plus at a gunshow or a big retailer to try the fit. they are getting more common.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #5

Super! What would a guy have to give for a Bersa? Do they have the feel and accuracy of the Berretta.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastline View Post
Super! What would a guy have to give for a Bersa? Do they have the feel and accuracy of the Berretta.
265-350 depending on style finish and accessory options.

dont know for sure on the feel but the grip design is very similar in the 7 round version. accuracy is prolly better.

here are some typical groups from my thunder plus. all are 16 rounds starting with double action for the first shot

rapid fire 7 yards

all shots in this group are double action only

first shot DA rest single action slow fire

it will shoot MoG all day long

Last edited by JonM; 01-28-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #7

Outstanding! Would anyone care to contest the hammer action guns against hammerless? Am I just "special" or is there something to the trigger pulls for certain people?

Also, regarding the Bersa,
1. Where is the clip release?
2. I notice there is a 7+1 and 15+1, is that a different gun or just the clip?
3. I see this is a double action, I can then assume the hammer will stay back with the next round? I am not really a double fan but might be a smart choice for carry.

Also, I noticed there is another model that is .380 by Bersa. Cannot remember the name but looked near identical. What is the difference?

Last edited by fastline; 01-29-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Fastline,take a look at a Browning BDA 380,or Baretta 84,same gun.I got a Browning and it is sweeeet! 13 rounds of 380,hammer,decocker,nice fat grip but slim profile,good carry piece.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:24 AM   #9

What does the price look like on them used? I will admit that I DO like the Bersa price tag. I just don't see much point in spending more than I need to for a tool I probably will never use "on the job"

I will take a look at the bda

Old 01-29-2011, 12:26 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastline View Post
Outstanding! Would anyone care to contest the hammer action guns against hammerless? Am I just "special" or is there something to the trigger pulls for certain people?

Also, regarding the Bersa,
1. Where is the clip release?
2. I notice there is a 7+1 and 15+1, is that a different gun or just the clip?
3. I see this is a double action, I can then assume the hammer will stay back with the next round? I am not really a double fan but might be a smart choice for carry.

Also, I noticed there is another model that is .380 by Bersa. Cannot remember the name but looked near identical. What is the difference?
yeah i dont care for striker pistols the triggers feel like your dragging the gun through a bowl of oatmeal.

next to the trigger guard on the left side

diffrent frame same slide. in fact the slides on the thunder plus and thunder 380 are interchangeable. the plus is a little thicker with rubber wrapround grips.

yes after the first shot or after thumb cocking it goes to single action mode. the trigger is actually the best da/sa trigger ive come across. the safety acts as a decocker safely lowering the hammer. intended carry is round in chamber hammer down safety off. it has a magazine safety rendering the gun unable to fire without a magazine. got kidlets?? no worry just slap the mag in your pocket and they cant do anything with it. its also got a safety key system that prevents the gun from being able to be cocked or loaded or the trigger pulled

bersa also makes a firestorm and a concealed carry 380 they are the same internally and work the same its just cosmetic differences. the ccw 380 mags are slightly different for improved profile whille ccwing. the firestorm has finger groove grips and a round trigger guard rather than the square combat trigger guard.

Last edited by JonM; 01-29-2011 at 12:30 AM.