Has anyone heard of the company SVI?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Has anyone heard of the company SVI?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Has anyone heard of the company SVI?

I am very curious as to how great these pistols are for the amount of money required to even buy any of the firearms listed, especially this one : STI Grandmaster Open Pistol 9 x 19from Speed Shooter
I have not seen any of these ever actually fire except for youtube, we all know how those videos are deceiving without real life experience. Is it worth it? I am guessing no, because you could probably make the modifications yourself and do something possibly better for a little less or a lot less. But for serious competition use if you planned on using .38 super or 9mm major would this be considered?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3061 Times on 1760 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Yes, I would consider the STI/SVI. Brownells also sells their setups and have a "2011 short block kit" (#791-000-001DG).
Some manufacturer's know what is needed to make a 1911a1 sing. I have a CZ-Dan Wesson C-BOB(approx $1200), and a Ed Brown Kobra Karry (MSRP $2545). Both look to be twins (except the slides, same length, different patterns). There is a world of difference in the finished product.
When I started on 1911a1's, I thought "Hey, buy the basic gun and add parts as you go along", but each time, the final tally was about the same as buying one already setup (and my "skills" were not on the same level).
Buy the best quality you can afford.
On ammo, .38Super is the better of the two choices (but plan on reloading).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #3

I am still going to save-up for a more expensive 1911, or 9mm with at least a match grade and some nice sights along with all those other items listed which I haven't heard of. I would love try these out, but the ranges here have absolutely none of these guns I want to test out, they were pretty generic like what most people would either use for home defense or general plinking rather than competitive. I want to know if it's a wise investment and how much I can rely on it in terms of accuracy given enough practice.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

I seriously doubt you'll find a range that rents any high quality, high cost guns. About the only way to get some time on one of these (without buying it) is to get lucky and find a generous person willing to let you shoot theirs. To answer the question you asked, STI makes a nice 1911 on the same level as Dan Wesson and the high end Kimbers and Springers.

Don't get to hung up on "match grade" propaganda as I've seen many a Rock Island hang with the expensive guns - in the right hands. This was shot rapid fire at 25 feet (25 rounds) with a no-name gun I have $400 invested in...

Old 08-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

STI makes great guns. They offer some features that other high end shops don't, like full length dust covers, etc.

The most accurate pistol I own is an STI.

Sidenote: Nice shooting, Dave!

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #6

Very nice groups. I am skeptical on spending so much on something like this. But I can't seem to find any RI 1911's yet. The cheapest they have here are: Springers, Kimbers, and Dan Wessons, I know there are cheaper, that you can invest less in and still be just as accurate. The main difference would be, looks mainly, and accuracy in correlation to looks, but that doesn't mean much. Lots of people like Kimber's or any other brand name, they "feel more accurate" because it looks better and costs more. Which is not my main reason for getting one, accuracy is my main concern. Which is all about practice and getting used to the ergonomics and general feel.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Find an FFL that does transfers for a reasonable price and buy one from Bud's online...

Old 08-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nake48 View Post
Very nice groups. I am skeptical on spending so much on something like this. But I can't seem to find any RI 1911's yet. The cheapest they have here are: Springers, Kimbers, and Dan Wessons, I know there are cheaper, that you can invest less in and still be just as accurate. The main difference would be, looks mainly, and accuracy in correlation to looks, but that doesn't mean much. Lots of people like Kimber's or any other brand name, they "feel more accurate" because it looks better and costs more. Which is not my main reason for getting one, accuracy is my main concern. Which is all about practice and getting used to the ergonomics and general feel.
In the world of High End 1911's the STI's are pretty reasonable. Compare them to the Wilsons, Night Hawks, Les Baers, Ed Browns, etc and they look like the best deal out there.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3061 Times on 1760 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Buy the best you can afford, practice, and see what needs to be done.
A bad handgun in a good shooter's hand will fair better in competition than the world's best handgun in a poor shooter's hand.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)