Handle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Handle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Handle

Glocks, their good for what they are. I'm looking at a 19, but I seriously don't like the shape of the handle. It's the length from front to back that drives me up the wall for some reason. Now at first I just thought it was the with of the handle, but then one day, I decided to pick up a Sig. Man those are the best feeling guns in my hand. What's the big difference? I think the Sig might even have a fatter grip then the Glock, but for some reason it feels fine. I have medium size hands and I figure the smaller handle would feel better, but I guess not. The question is, does the way the gun feel effect the accuracy of the shooter.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #2

Liked 2188 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 475

If you are talking about the distance from teh backstrap to the trigger then you are talking about trigger reach. It can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer based on how far the trigger is placed forward. this can effect where the trigger finger naturally wants to land on the trigger. That placement of the trigger finger can indeed effect accuracy because in a handgun the trigger finger can push or pull the gun to one side or the other as you draw the trigger rearward.

So, a more natural placement of your trigger finger is indeed a good thing. This is why you might see several folks here recommend that people go out and try several handguns and find one that fits them best before making a purchase.

I like Sig and Glock both very much. The Glock seems to be a more natural fit for me, but I shoot both pretty well. If the Sig fits better for you, that may be the way for you to go.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:53 AM   #3

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

The grip (or handle, as you call it) of an XDm has a totally different feel. First, there are exchangeable backstraps, which allow you to adjust for small, medium, or large hands. Also, there is a significantly smaller front-to-back distance and it feels much easier to reach the trigger.

I have fairly small hands and the XDm with the #1 backstrap fits me like a glove. And I still get 19+1 rounds!!!!!

And to answer your last question, YES. How the guns fits in your hand will allow you to grip it better while firing, which is really important.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 11-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #4

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

I've had my Sig226 for a few years now and I love it as much as the day I first laid my hands on it.Absolutely bar none the best money I have ever spent. She's eatin' everything I've ever fed her without one issue. The Sig fits great in my hand and for me points the most natural .I've tried several Locks in my time and where they are extremely reliable for me they are uncomfortable to handle and when I draw the point is unnatural for me.When I bring it up the angle of the grip is noticeably greater making the business end rise higher than I am used to.They are great reliable pistols but would require that I would need to train out of me my natural point .

Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Ya the problem I'm having is what ur saying. I feel like the Glock is the most reliable pistol, but if u suck at aiming, it won't do any good.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #6

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

I get a whole variety of people who ask me questions as to how to pick the right pistol for them.The real answer is I don't know what pistol matches up to what person.My best suggestion is go to a gunstore or a gunshow handle a pistol or two.Heck handle them all.Take notes as to the pistols that fit the most comfortably and naturally in you're hand and then do a little online research as to it's reliability.And then pick you're weapon.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #7

Liked 144 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleNoises
Ya the problem I'm having is what ur saying. I feel like the Glock is the most reliable pistol, but if u suck at aiming, it won't do any good.
There's pleeenty of other guns out there. If glock doesn't feel right to you don't just buy it because its a glock. Check out a few sigs , the XD line and the M&P line if your not happy with the grip, which I feel is Very important to good shooting.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleNoises View Post
The question is, does the way the gun feel effect the accuracy of the shooter.
Yes! If the firearm is uncomfortable or does not fit correctly, then pain can be inflicted when shooting.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1756 Times on 977 Posts
Likes Given: 5315

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleNoises View Post
The question is, does the way the gun feel effect the accuracy of the shooter.
Yes . .

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 11-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I think I found a solution, gripreductions.com looks like they do a good job and it's only $125. Better to get a $500 gun with a $125 grip reduction then spend $900ish on a gun just for the grip.