Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   handguns for woman (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/handguns-woman-78581/)

combateffective4 12-16-2012 06:57 AM

handguns for woman

1 Attachment(s)
Hi i'm looking for a handgun for my wife... She is getting her chl with me, we tried shooting my for arms but they were too much power .40 and 45
So i'm thinking a 9mm or 380
I need some thing not too expensive
I was thinking a s&w bodyguard
What else is small ? Recommended?
Gonna get a list of guns written up so she can handle them see which is more comfortable

Thanks

Attachment 74851

John_Deer 12-16-2012 08:03 AM

We get this same thread at least twice a week. Let your wife select her own gun. Take her to the range and rent guns she is interested in or borrow them from friends. You do your part, negotiate the price and show her were you get the best deals.

We have a section of this forum that is for women only. Let her log on and chat with other woman about what works for women. Butt out and let her become informed.

jjfuller1 12-16-2012 01:30 PM

You are on the right road. But you have to let her pick what she wants. Not what you think she wants. Borrow or rent as many different pistols as possible. Make sure they are in different calibers as well as different styles. Semi- auto, revolver, with and without hammer. Let her decide what style she likes. And what caliber she is comfy shooting. Having a 357 that she's scared of won't help, it would be better to get a 22 she likes. Because if your scared of it, your more likely to not use it, practice with it or even carry it. Try to find deals after she selects one Just be sure it's her choice.

rhyno13 12-16-2012 01:41 PM

Bersa .380 is a well made and affordable CC peice.

HOSSFLY 12-16-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1053408)
We get this same thread at least twice a week. Let your wife select her own gun. Take her to the range and rent guns she is interested in or borrow them from friends. You do your part, negotiate the price and show her were you get the best deals.

We have a section of this forum that is for women only. Let her log on and chat with other woman about what works for women. Butt out and let her become informed.

What he said-

danf_fl 12-16-2012 03:25 PM

Do not think that your wife cannot handle a .45.
There are techniques used that reduce the felt recoil.

(I've seen my share of young ladies shooting .45s in competition.)

winds-of-change 12-16-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1053673)

After I got used to shooting guns, I can handle the recoil of most any gun. It's a matter of learning what to expect and familiarity with what a gun will do when you shoot it. Oh, and I might ad, I am a female.

Zombiegirl 12-16-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl

Exactly. I have a 1911 and that, in my opinion, is easier to shoot than some of my smaller caliber guns. The weight of my 1911 cuts the recoil. However if she wants a 9 or a .380, I would personally say go with the 9 mm because ammo is so much cheaper and easier to find. I would have her just start holding a bunch of them to see what is most comfortable for her. In terms of recoil, if she goes with a subcompact the recoil will be worse than a full size obviously.

pancakestud 12-17-2012 02:15 AM

I picked up a Ruger LC9 about three weeks ago for myself and found that my wife has took it over . She loves the feel of it and can control the recoil very well. I had to go back to my G26 until I pick up another. Not a bad price either at 350 bucks. Good luck with your choice

BeyondTheBox 12-17-2012 02:39 AM

Larger/heavier frames handle recoil better. It may not be the caliber she dislikes handling, but just the gun itself. Is not always easy but try and get her to a range that rents firearms for testing. That way she can get a gage for what she may and may not like about them.