Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Which handguns were designed for .40?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 02:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 3

Have you considered the Ruger SR40? I picked mine up at a local gun shop for $385
I'm no expert, but it is a solid pistol.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:58 AM   #12

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

The S&W M&P 40, SD40, or Sigma 40VE

Old 05-17-2012, 03:19 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Have you considered the Ruger SR40? I picked mine up at a local gun shop for $385
I'm no expert, but it is a solid pistol.
The SR series started out with the 9 as well...not really what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
The S&W M&P 40, SD40, or Sigma 40VE
The M&P is one I've been considering...haven't really looked into the SD40 yet, but it looks like one I should. I like the setup of the M&P, but not so much the pricetag. From what I can tell, not that much difference between the two but the price...would that be a fair assessment?

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Old 05-17-2012, 03:47 AM   #14

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

The SD line is a definite step up from the Sigma and, as far as I can tell, doesn't lack much at all in comparison tobthe M&P. It even comes with a tritium front sight standard and the rear sight is the same as the one that comes on the M&P (it even has the M&P logo on it).

It is only available as a full-size gun (no compacts) and it doesn't have the same options as can be had with the M&P - no choice of manual safety, mag disconnect safety, colored frames, interchangeable backstraps, etc.

If I was in the market for a full-size .40 (or 9mm), the SD line would definitely be on the short list.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would be looking for full-size and the bells and whistles are not required...and I like the idea of essentially an M&P that I was considering for less. The SD has now made its way to my short list. Thanks for the good info.

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Old 05-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #16
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5618 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 4704

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBlackSheep View Post
Actually, it was only by accident I left that one out...I've been pondering quite a bit on a 10mm lately. Definitely interested in getting my hands on one, I've never shot one before. I like the concept and, if it lives up to my expectations, I could see going for a 10mm before a .40.
Something like this:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=287017548

or more like this:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=286950348

or all 1911 like this:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=287012939

or even :
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=286407981

I'm saving up for the Glock or a 1911 myself.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

From what I've seen so far (which I admit is not a lot), the Glock seems like the best option...but I'm not a big Glock fan (don't like the ergonomics). That Colt looks pretty sweet and the S&W 1006 isn't shabby either. Following the basis of this thread, are there any that were designed specifically for the 10mm round?

Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #18

Liked 252 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Not a big fan of that style handgun. The Bersa Thunder Pro is more my style...but it appears to have been originally designed for the 9. Thanks for the recommendation, though.

Actually, it was only by accident I left that one out...I've been pondering quite a bit on a 10mm lately. Definitely interested in getting my hands on one, I've never shot one before. I like the concept and, if it lives up to my expectations, I could see going for a 10mm before a .40.
And as far as a glock you can get a g20 10mm and put a .40 conversion in it. and since the .40 is naturally a snappy round it has no trouble slinging that heavy slide back

Old 05-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5618 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 4704

Quote:
From what I've seen so far (which I admit is not a lot), the Glock seems like the best option...but I'm not a big Glock fan (don't like the ergonomics). That Colt looks pretty sweet and the S&W 1006 isn't shabby either. Following the basis of this thread, are there any that were designed specifically for the 10mm round?
The S&W 1006 and 1076 were:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10mm
Quote:
Later guns, such as the Glock 20, Glock 29, and the Smith & Wesson Model 1006, were built around the cartridge to help increase durability and reliability.
Quote:
The F.B.I. briefly field-tested the 10mm Auto in a 1911-frame platform as well as a M1928 Thompson-type submachine gun before adopting the 10mm Auto round in the late 1980s along with the Smith & Wesson Model 1076 (a short barreled version of the 1026 with a frame-mounted decocker). During testing of a new service caliber, the F.B.I. concluded that the full power of the load would result in undesirable recoil. The F.B.I. then submitted a requirement for a reduced-recoil loading. This later became known as the "10mm Lite", or "10mm F.B.I." load. Pistol reliability problems increased with this lighter load and Smith & Wesson saw this as an invitation to create something new: a shortened version of the 10mm. This new round was called the .40 Smith & Wesson. The .40 S&W would function in a 9mm sized pistol; the advantage was that smaller-handed shooters could now have a 9mm sized gun with near 10mm performance.
Just Wiki info, but matches what i've read elsewhere.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 05-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBlackSheep

Bren 10, colt delta elite, 1006, and there is a smith revolver made for the 10mm also but I can't remember the model