Handgun question for military folks
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Handgun question for military folks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Default Handgun question for military folks

Im getting my first "serious" handgun soon, and I prefer the striker fired platform (it's what Im familiar with and I like the consistency over DA/SA). However, I'm going military within the next year or so, so presumably I'll spend some time with the DA/SA platform. Does the military offer enough handgun training to sway my comfort level over to the DA/SA side of things? I prefer the DA/SA offerings currently available to the striker fired offerings. The striker guns win out because I'm much more capable with their trigger.

Basically what I'm asking is would it be worth it to go with a less comfortable platform since I'll receive countless hours with it? Does military training make you extremely comfortable with DA/SA pistols? Or would I be better off with what I know?

Sorry if Im not making sense, thanks for any input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10406 Times on 4488 Posts
Likes Given: 1653

Depends heavily of which branch of the military, and what you do there. In most cases, I wound up shooting on my own much more than I shot for Uncle Sam.

And I was an Infantryman. Folks that were not combat arms shot less than I did.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3303 Times on 1601 Posts
Likes Given: 1663

SM,

The Army will be giving you training with the M-9 which is the same as the Beretta Model 92 9mm pistol.
Yes you will learn to be proficient with it! But may not change your preference regarding the striker fired pistols. I carried a 92-F Berretta for years. If was the issued weapon and we shot them very well. However today it is not my choice for myself. I shot expert with the 92-F which is the same as the M-9. But there are some other fine weapons out there but are striker fire weapons. Examples the Glocks, XD series Springfield's and S&W M&Ps. I also like the Sigs very well. But the M-9 and 92-Fs have it's own feel and fit. Good luck and best wishes for joining the greatest military in the World. "The USA Military"!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy
People Like This 
Old 02-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1228 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 789

unless you end up being MP, you'll probly only recieve a few weeks of handgun training/ shooting a year. and i would not be worried one bit about trying to change your likes right now.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
Sm3lliot Likes This 
Old 02-09-2015, 08:22 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6667 Times on 3547 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Dont worry about it. If you get sent to a land of heathen death cults (middle east/europe) and your needing to use a handgun you wont have to worry about the da pull. You will only have ten rounds in a mag pouch with an empty pistol to start with.

If they even give you a pistol much less ammo for it.

If its down to handguns your prolly not coming back anyway. Least of my concerns would be a da/sa transition as military use it never happens
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 02-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 734 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I would agree, if the bullets are coming your direction you won't notice if the trigger weighs 10 lbs and if its striker or SA/DA reliability would be your main concern.
locutus Likes This 
Old 02-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7289 Times on 4029 Posts
Likes Given: 7064

I had to periodically carry a m1911. I was required to qualify with it once per year.

My issue weapon was an M-1 carbine.

Unless you're going into military police your issue handgun will be much more a "badge of authority" than an actual weapon, even in the unlikely event you are issued one.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Old 02-09-2015, 11:55 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3393 Times on 1943 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm3lliot View Post
Im getting my first "serious" handgun soon, and I prefer the striker fired platform (it's what Im familiar with and I like the consistency over DA/SA). However, I'm going military within the next year or so, so presumably I'll spend some time with the DA/SA platform. Does the military offer enough handgun training to sway my comfort level over to the DA/SA side of things? I prefer the DA/SA offerings currently available to the striker fired offerings. The striker guns win out because I'm much more capable with their trigger.
So, what do you have now that is not a "serious" handgun?

Practice can make you proficient with any platform, no matter what you like or dislike.

Open your mind, accept that not all things are the same, and use what is at hand in the best manner possible.

Be it guns, gear, training, and other people.

If a little thing like striker fire vs hammer bugs you, then the military is not for you. Accept, adapt, and carry on.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-10-2015, 02:26 AM   #9

Liked 2111 Times on 1162 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

The more platforms you are familiar with the better off you will be. I show up with different guns at IDPA not to show of my collection. But to make sure I am proficient across many different platforms.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
danf_fl Likes This 
Old 02-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #10

Liked 327 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Don't worry about what you shoot. To many people get all wadded up over a certain brand or type handgun or trigger group. Give me any brand or type of handgun and let me shoot 6 to 10 rounds or so and I'll be fine with it. Give me 400 rounds thru it and I'll carry it .
Billy9mm Likes This