Handgun for my son?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Handgun for my son?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Handgun for my son?

My son started shooting when he turned 12. He first got a 22 rifle, and when he turned 13, I got him an mp22 pistol. His 14 birthday is coming up and he loves shooting my full size 9mm and wants to get a m&p 9 for his birthday. Is that a wise decision?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

I would wait until he is 18. No matter how trained he is, it is still a bit dramatic for a pistol at that age. Unless you keep it or separate with the ammo. It your decision as a father. Just be careful and let him know how serious firearms are.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 03-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

He will not have any acces to the pistol or ammo at all. Ill transfer it to him when he is 18, but until then the only time he would have it out is when he is cleaning it with me or shooting it at the range

Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaShooter22 View Post
He will not have any access to the pistol or ammo at all. Ill transfer it to him when he is 18, but until then the only time he would have it out is when he is cleaning it with me or shooting it at the range
Then go full steam ahead. I see nothing wrong with that.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx

Then go full steam ahead. I see nothing wrong with that.
Thanks for the help

Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Thanks for the help
Anytime. I like helping like minded people. Good luck and happy shooting!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
My son started shooting when he turned 12. He first got a 22 rifle, and when he turned 13, I got him an mp22 pistol. His 14 birthday is coming up and he loves shooting my full size 9mm and wants to get a m&p 9 for his birthday. Is that a wise decision?
In the ancient world, the father would offer his son a spear as a symbol of manhood. Later, a sword, musket etc The key being reaching manhood. Manhood includes responsibility, morals/values, self-reliance, honesty and citizenship. 18 is today's norm of reaching manhood in the United States. Buying a handgun higher then a .22 caliber is a great gift for reaching "manhood". This is my two cents and philosophy. God bless you for raising one of our youth to become a responsibily citizen practicing one of our rights as an American.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

If that is what he wants and you think that the 9mm will not develop bad habits go for it. Nothing wrong with it.I might also think about starting him off with for example a Browning Buck Mark or Ruger 22 Target pistol. My though is #1. He will learn the basic fundamentals of shooting a handgun including sight Picture, Sight Alignment, proper grip[ and stance, as well gain a considerable amount of confidence in his ability. And starting out with a caliber that will not develop bad habits like flinching and pre- anticipating the pistol going off due to recoil of a larger caliber. Once a flinch or pre- anticipation of the shot is developed at this age it is hard to break. Just some thoughts to think about. But you are the Dad and know your son the best. I thank God you and the family are exposing him to the shooting sport and at a young age. He will have years and years of enjoyment and lasting memories due to Dad! "YOU! And also a very important issue as well! He when he becomes of voting age he will more than likely help the future generations in protecting and preserving our Second Amendment Rights and the sport! "Way to go Dad!"

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister

In the ancient world, the father would offer his son a spear as a symbol of manhood. Later, a sword, musket etc The key being reaching manhood. Manhood includes responsibility, morals/values, self-reliance, honesty and citizenship. 18 is today's norm of reaching manhood in the United States. Buying a handgun higher then a .22 caliber is a great gift for reaching "manhood". This is my two cents and philosophy. God bless you for raising one of our youth to become a responsibily citizen practicing one of our rights as an American.
Thanks for your kind words

Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My grandmother gave me a .38 snubby when I was 15; it never got me into much trouble. (Granny had started to "fade" a bit by that time, sweet lady.) Properly monitored, I would think he would be fine.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Sniper03 Likes This