The Handgun For Me: Your Personal Light of The Gods Moment - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > The Handgun For Me: Your Personal Light of The Gods Moment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

S&W model 29 .44 magnum with a 6.5 inch barrel. It was 1967, four years before Clint as Dirty Harry made the S&W Model 29 .44 magnum, "The most powerful handgun in the world."

It was originally given to my father as a gift and I always wanted to shoot it, more so than he. I eventually ended up with it in 1975.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Great stories here. While my Dad never handed me down any, I will certainly pass on some special ones to my kids...

Old 04-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #13

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I think cane's is going to be tought to beat.
Here, I'll up the ante.

The Ithaca on the left was used to eliminate the need of the German officer to keep his Luger P08. Said action occured somewhere in the Herken forest January 1945.

I retired Dad's Ithaca a few years back. We (the family) would go to a range on Thanksgiving Day for a shoot in memory of Dad.

When one of my sons asked, "Will continued shooting reduce the value of Grand Dad's gun?" it hit me like a ton of bricks!

This wasn't my gun, I was only responsible for it while in my stewardship and it will continue in it's progress of stewardship by being handed down to the grand kids!

My retirement of the Ithaca (and the Luger) is due to it's provenance.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #14

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Well.. the first pistol I ever bought was my S&W Sigma 40VE.
I really liked it, But when a friend of mine offered me a Springfield Loaded 1911 for it, Siggy had to go.

That was my second 1911.
My first, which is the pride and joy of my humble collection so far, is my GI Springfield.
While it isn't old and doesn't have the awesome history of Cane's 1911's, it was my very first.
I bought it at the store I work at, shortly after I started working there.
I knew I wanted a 1911, and we had this Para Ordnance "Gun Rights" edition that I had thought about, but I didn't like the light alloy frame.
I saw the Springer and fell in love. With it's standard grip safety and arched hammer spring housing, it was like sex in my hand. So I put her on layaway and a few weeks later, she was mine

Old 04-22-2010, 12:27 AM   #15

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mine has to be my Smith & Wesson 625. Of all my guns this one has a special place in my heart as it is the first gun Linda gave me. I have many guns that I will never sell or give away but the 625 is “my” gun and every time I pick her up she feels natural in my hand.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:49 AM   #16

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Mine has to be my Smith & Wesson 625. Of all my guns this one has a special place in my heart as it is the first gun Linda gave me. I have many guns that I will never sell or give away but the 625 is “my” gun and every time I pick her up she feels natural in my hand.
Well, I could have told ya that!

Is that a Gila Monster in your avatar photo?

Old 04-22-2010, 02:46 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Here, I'll up the ante.

The Ithaca on the left was used to eliminate the need of the German officer to keep his Luger P08. Said action occured somewhere in the Herken forest January 1945.

I retired Dad's Ithaca a few years back. We (the family) would go to a range on Thanksgiving Day for a shoot in memory of Dad.

When one of my sons asked, "Will continued shooting reduce the value of Grand Dad's gun?" it hit me like a ton of bricks!

This wasn't my gun, I was only responsible for it while in my stewardship and it will continue in it's progress of stewardship by being handed down to the grand kids!

My retirement of the Ithaca (and the Luger) is due to it's provenance.
Cane....how do I get into your will?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-22-2010, 02:53 AM   #18

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have three that could never leave me. One a really old Triumph single shot 12 ga. that was my Fathers. Another is a Winchester Mod 94 30 30 that my wife's Grandfather gave me. And my first 1911 Springfield. The Springer was the first 1911 I bought all on my own (It was actually all made here in the US). None of these do I shoot often. But they all have a special place where I can look at them and remember how they got to me. I got one of those Wood boxes for the Springer. She looks really nice with the set of hand made elk grips in that box.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:22 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

All of the guns my father owns are special to me, because they are his and will eventually on some unfortunate day (that I hope wont be for another 70 or so year from now) will come into my possesion. But "MY" gun is my Duo-Tone Taurus 1911. I've customized it and will continue to customize it until I get it perfect for that gun. The brushed chrome sides of the slide caught my eye in Academy one day and I asked to look at it and the gun practically spoke to me. It did everything I ever wanted a gun to do. I have a Glock 30 in the same caliber so I can abuse it as much as I need/want to so I wont ruin my 1911. I'm sure I'll own more 1911s but this one wont be sold for anything less than more anyone can offer.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:34 AM   #20

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Well, I could have told ya that!

Is that a Gila Monster in your avatar photo?
Nope,

That's what is called a "Dub-Dub" from over in the sandbox. The tail is like one of those Chinese jewelry pieces that is segmented armor bone. That lizard lives in small trees and eats birds. They have another one that is about 4 feet long called a "Dub-Zilla" that eats "Dub-Dub's". It looks just like a "Dub-Dub" except it has a red stripe down its back. I caught that one on patrol and tied a little 550 cord around it's neck and kept it with me all day on patrol, then released it at the end of shift. I don't think he liked being in the US Air Force very much.