The Handgun For Me: Your Personal Light of The Gods Moment
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > The Handgun For Me: Your Personal Light of The Gods Moment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default The Handgun For Me: Your Personal Light of The Gods Moment

Everyone has one handgun that is their pride and joy.

Maybe you inherited it.

Maybe it was the first handgun you bought for yourself.

It's the one that you will never sell and the one that will always have a special place in your heart.

So what is it and when did you know it was the one for you?

What was the epiphany that led you to this Noble Piece?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

How can you love one of your children more than another? Aren't all our guns as precious as our own little ones? We need to love and care for all the guns in our possession. It would be mean, and downright evil to let them know we prefer one of them over another. Guns are people too! They have feelings just like the rest of us.

But...

My first handgun purchase was for self defense needs. I went looking for a .357 Taurus, but the shop owner told me about a Model 19 S&W he had in the back of the display case. It was a police, well security guard, turn in, very little wear. It presented itself nicely, all business, and anyone unfortunate to be on the business end would know it was indeed all business. It's a premier weapon in our household. But I don't use it myself.

Once I had the basic need out of the way, I knew I had to have some type of semi-auto. I looked online and read many websites and many weblogs to find one that would fit my budget and power needs. I came across a story about the affordable eastern bloc standard Makarov. Eventually I found one at a local gunshow, priced at $210. It almost looks like a Walther PPK. Had to have it for that reason. Ammo isn't really hard to acquire, so I bought it. I had every intention to make it my go to sidearm. There are still a few FTFs, but as I had changed springs and the firing pin, I think it's the ammo. If the need arises, my Bulgy Mak is in the closet with two loaded mags.

As I got further into learning about different guns, I knew eventually I would need a smaller gun for the smaller hands about the house. I wanted a .45, but knew those were out of my range. Then I found a story about the Colt Hammerless 1903. It looked a little like a 1911. I wanted to find one to see how it felt. Well, it felt almost perfect, but the thought of the ineffective and useless .32ACP made me unsure. It looked good and was only $400. I found out the one I was looking at was manufactured the same year as my mom, so I just had to buy it....

All the guns fill a need, all the guns have their good points, all the guns are classics. Any and all of them would be fine sidearms. Though they say large calibers are better in all situations, I can't help but find my Colt in my holster when I go out in the desert, and I feel I'd go for the Colt in the dead of night if I needed a gun. I can't explain it, but that's the way it is.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Interesting premise but I suspect I'm different than most folks. I change my gun inventory more often than I change the oil in my truck. Trading guns can become something of an addiction and is certainly habit forming. I can say that the gun I have currently had the longest (about 4 years) is a 3 inch S&W 686+ 7 shot .357 revolver. It's just such a versatile gun for so many reasons that I've never been tempted to part with it. It even has night sights (yeah, I know JD).

As far as an epiphany, that happened for me, big time, the first time I shot a decent 1911. While I've changed up in the ones I own - I will always have at least a couple of them on hand...

Old 04-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #4

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Ithaca M1911A1 hands down.

My Dad's M1911A1 Ithaca that went from Normandy 1944 to Dachau 1945;

Thanks Dad.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 04-21-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

* Bows before the offered idol *

Old 04-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My XD45. It was the first pistol I ever owned personally and as soon as I wrapped my hand around it I knew it was the one. It served me well for a number of years as a bedside gun, truck gun and a carry piece. I haven't shot it for a while but after putting thousands of rounds thru it without a single problem I would still trust my life to it. It may deserve a range trip in the near future.

I think cane's is going to be tought to beat.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's a Holy Grail of a gun 'Cane.

My keeper is my old Sistema 1911. My first 1911 was an SA MilSpec that I had Springfield Custom work over and then sent to Novak's for sights.

Then I found a NIB Les Baer in the back of the safe at the shop and laid it away until I could bail it out. It was the tightest 1911 of any I've had before or after. Nice pistol, but I don't care for front slide serrations. (strictly from an aesthetic standpoint)

My next 1911 was a Dan Wesson CBOB and I still miss it. It may have been the perfect pistol for me. Unfortunately, it had to go due to finances.

My next 1911 was a RIA tactical model that unfortunately was a huge lemon. I got rid of it fast.

So, I was left without a 1911 and I felt naked and forlorn, so...

There were several thrashed Sistema's gathering dust in a corner of the vault, so I dug through and picked the best one there. The plan from the beginning was to customize it to my liking. After six months at the gunsmith's, it's everything I want in a 1911 and not one thing more or superfluous, at least for me.

I just CeramaCoated it because the 'smith raped me for a shoddy blue job. However, he does know how to build a 1911 and this one is outstanding mechanically.

It consistently shoots one ragged hole at any time as long as I do my part. It is the most natural feeling and pointing pistol I've ever owned. (even of the 1911's)

I just added Chip McCormick slim DD rosewood grips and like the slim feel and the look of them.

As soon as the plunger spring arrives from Brownell's, I'll reassemble it and post pics in it's project thread.

Very wordy, I know, but I love that old pistol. It fits me like a glove, is dependable and accurate and it's almost as old as me.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 04-21-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
ajb

Mine would be a S & W Model 19 that my wife bought me for Christmas about 25 years ago.

I rarely shoot it anymore, but it's not for sale. The 1911 has taken over.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3359 Times on 1739 Posts
Likes Given: 354

My 4" 657 Smith. Duty gun for many years. I will never part with that one, it accompanied me on too many butt puckering, terrifying forays into the night.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #10

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Ruger Single Six my Dad gave me.

Because my Dad gave it to me.